The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

1 hour ago, BigBo10 said:

On a phone and even if I can I don't know how to do spoilers. Apologies.

No worries. I'm sure WRK will disregard it! 

If you want to do spoilers, just put spoiler in square brackets before the text, then /spoiler in square brackets after the text. 

i'm a spoiler

No worries. I'm sure WRK will disregard it! 

If you want to do spoilers, just put spoiler in square brackets before the text, then /spoiler in square brackets after the text. 

i'm a spoiler

in all fairness, Your Eminence, that's at least the second time someone's put their attempt up and, being on the app, they haven't been hidden.
There's no way that having seen even the slightest portion of these wouldn't influence my answers, probably by helping jog my memory at least, so I don't feel I can submit an honest entry.
Accordingly, I'm willing to concede this. No doubt we can find a more secure way to run it in future.

7 hours ago, Swarley said:

Late suggestion for the restructuring. We should go for a regionalised league structure. That way I might have a decent chance of finishing 3rd in the Asian league (behind Eednud & SlipperyP)

And I'd win TFS section.

25 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

in all fairness, Your Eminence, that's at least the second time someone's put their attempt up and, being on the app, they haven't been hidden.
There's no way that having seen even the slightest portion of these wouldn't influence my answers, probably by helping jog my memory at least, so I don't feel I can submit an honest entry.
Accordingly, I'm willing to concede this. No doubt we can find a more secure way to run it in future.

Well it's hardly your fault that you've seen potential answers, so conceding hardly seems fair! How about abandoning the match and having a replay with a different 20 questions? Would that be okay @dee_62? If it is, I'l make it explicit that nobody should post answers - in spoilers or otherwise! 

Well it's hardly your fault that you've seen potential answers, so conceding hardly seems fair! How about abandoning the match and having a replay with a different 20 questions? Would that be okay @dee_62? If it is, I'l make it explicit that nobody should post answers - in spoilers or otherwise! 

That would work for me. Why not send it to me and Dee62 by PM and give us a day out do before it goes public?

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

It's the app's fault! Ah well, at least the Cardinal can give us all the correct answers now!

I've not yet had a response from Dee_62 but he's a decent fellow so I'm sure he'll be okay with the rematch.

40 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Late entry after being on holiday. 4,5,8,6 and 4 = 27. So solid mid table after barely avoiding relegation last week. No need to add it to table unless we're doing a running total.

Not planning on doing a running total. Although I have kept all the old league tables. Maybe we could have it as a special prize for someone. 

So here's the answers to the aborted quiz. I'll PM the new one to Dee_62 and WRK and once they've responded... post the quiz for general consumption.

-------------------------------------

• Which is the only EU country where Cyrillic script is habitually used? Bulgaria
  • Which electoral area was first to declare in the Brexit referendum, with 96% voting to Remain? Gibraltar
  • Which Briton is the only man in motor sport to have won World Championships on both two and four wheels? John Surtees
  • Which island nation is divided politically by a buffer zone known as the “Green Line”? Cyprus
  • Which city was location to Guy Fawkes’ birth and Dick Turpin’s death? York
  • In which field of study might information be shared digitally as a GEDCOM file? Genealogy (nobody got that - not surprised)
  • When playing Scrabble, which chemical element would earn you the fewest points? Tin (3 points)
  • The syrup grenadine, a common cocktail ingredient, is traditionally based on which fruit? Pomegranate
  • Which country’s president has been awarded the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize? Colombia
  • In which country did electronic duo Daft Punk originate? France
  • What term can refer to a second full moon in a calendar month? Blue Moon

Sets of 3 – Female Cops

• Which TV series featuring a female inspector was set in the fictional Lancashire town of Hartley? Juliet Bravo
  • Who played Chief Inspector Jane Tennison in a long-running TV police series? Helen Mirren
  • In which Coen Brothers film is a series of murders investigated by heavily pregnant Marge Gunderson? Fargo

Pets Win Prizes

• Which Oscar-winning film earned Palm Dog and Golden Collar awards for a Jack Russell called Uggie? The Artist
  • What sort of creature was Paul, credited with predicting match results in the 2010 World Cup? Octopus
  • Ability in which intellectual field was claimed for the early 20th century racehorse Clever Hans? Maths - Arithmetic

Antisocial Sciences

• Embraced by the Nazis, what is the theory and practice of “improving” the genetic quality of humans through selective breeding? Eugenics
  • What is the name of the discredited “science” which relates personality to the shape of the head? Phrenology
  • With which cult is the pseudoscience Dianetics particularly associated? Scientology
Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

2 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Sorry, been out. Happy with whatever people want to go with. Let's be honest, it's only going to delay my official status as runner up for an extra 24hrs! emoji3.png

ETA. Think I got about 11 plus the Helen Mirren in that last one.

Well it still counts as 12. Which was good, but probably not enough to overcome WRK. PM'd you your second bit at the cherry!

Sorry, been out. Happy with whatever people want to go with. Let's be honest, it's only going to delay my official status as runner up for an extra 24hrs! [emoji3]

ETA. Think I got about 11 plus the Helen Mirren in that last one.

Well it still counts as 12. Which was good, but probably not enough to overcome WRK. PM'd you your second bit at the cherry!

I'd have got fourteen on that one with a possible couple more from guesses, so maybe I've shot myself in the foot here...

Bloody integrity!

I'd have got fourteen on that one with a possible couple more from guesses, so maybe I've shot myself in the foot here...

Bloody integrity!

Don't worry WRK, I've just submitted my latest effort and I'm looking at a lower score than the first quiz. (Obviously, in the spirit of fair play, it's the equivalent of me kicking the ball out of play after an injury)