The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

Guessometer back on track 8/10 :lol:

Knew three and educated guess on two.

Fluked sports questions and singer, cause I've heard of her on here, I think.

Book and PM wrong. Will it be enough to avoid a quick return to the didd...Beazer Homes League?

Rose from my sick bed to score 6/10 - what a hero. Only certain of one (large book) but 5 years of struggling with Latin paid off for nr 4, and a couple of shrewd guesses and a couple of inspired guesses gave me 6.

9 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Another 7 with only one guess.  What do you call a 50/50 when two are clearly wrong and you don't know the answer but one seems 'righter' than the other?  Obviously not a 75/25...but maybe a 60/40?

Was that the characters in a book question?

11 hours ago, WeeMentalDavie said:

5/10. Only knew 3 so 7 guesses

Welcome! We have a weekly quiz league (with 2 divisions) and a monthly cup if you'd like to join... just take the quiz for the rest of this week (if you want to that is! not forcing you into it!), and I'll add you to the league and the cup. You as well @Marr1!

4 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Welcome! We have a weekly quiz league (with 2 divisions) and a monthly cup if you'd like to join... just take the quiz for the rest of this week (if you want to that is! not forcing you into it!), and I'll add you to the league and the cup. You as well @Marr1!

I trust these newcos aren't getting parachuted in without a vote from the current membership?

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I trust these newcos aren't getting parachuted in without a vote from the current membership?

Scottish teams should get precedence over NI, English, Thai, Aussie or Swiss teams anyway! It really is quite the melting pot the Beazer Homes League, especially since all the foreign teams have failed to gain promotion!

In the top tier, we're missing quite a few key results.. but Alang1993 has secured another title. Kincardine is looking nervously over his shoulder and Arabdownunder claims another 2nd. BigBo's tracksuit is on a bit of a shoogly peg (assuming the other results come in). 

Position Team Trophy Cabinet Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Total
1 Alang1993 4x© 2x② 1xBZ 7 8 8 8 8 39
2 Arabdownunder 3x© 1x② 7 9 6 7 8 37
3 The_Kincardine   6 7 7 6.5 7 33.5
4 Frankie S 1x© 6 8 7 6 6 33
5 WILLIEA   6 6 4 7 6 29
6 Leeds Saint 1x© 2x② 2 8 5 5 8 28
7 Eckthearab 5x② 4 6 7 4 7 28
8 WhiteRoseKillie 8x© 3x② 5 7 6 5 4 27
9 Jagfox99 4x② 1xBZ 5 6 2 5 8 26
10 Cardinal Richelieu   4 5 6 6 4 25
11 BigBo10   5 4 4 6 5 24
12 Welshbairn   4 8 6     18
13 G_Man1985   4 4 3     11
14 Deej 2x②           0

Down in the Beazer Homes League, I'm tempted to award everyone a bonus point for punctuality. It's always gratifying seeing all the results in before I've even crawled out my bed. Congrats to Blackislekillie who has yo-yoed back up to the top, and congrats also to the debutante Tynieness, who also gains promotion. Peasy's into another play-off. 

Position Team Trophy Cabinet Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Total
1 Blackislekillie 1xBZ 5 8 6 7 5 31
2 Tynieness   7 5 7 5 6 30
3 Peasy23   4 6 5 7 5 27
4 Edmund 4x② 1xBZ 5 8 5 3 5 26
5 Jacksgranda   2 4 6 7 6 25
6 Bully Wee Villa 1x© 4 5 3 6 7 25
7 Scotfree   5 5 3 5 5 23
8 SlipperyP   2 5 6 6 2 21
9 Ross.   1 6 3 5 5 20
10 Dee_62   3 3 3 6 5 20
11 Die Hard Doonhamer   3 2 6 4 4 19
12 Dee Man   2 5 1 5 5 18
13 Supermik   3 3 4 3 3 16
14 Swarley             0

Cup quiz to follow shortly!

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

A thoroughly average 6 to end a thoroughly average week. Knew 5 (large book, Daisy Buchanan, summum bonum, neon, Ibsen). If a monkey was hitting my iPad randomly, I'd expect him to land one guess in 4. By the judicious application of logic, reason and a modicum of background knowledge, I've refined that to around 1 in 5. Unless it's Aussie sport, when it's more like 1 in 10.

Edited by Frankie S

Had to dinghy the Canadian quiz for the Diddly Dee Jam Jar Trophy... the formatting was crap (you had to scroll right to press submit each time) and from the looks of it, mobile users might have run into problems. Shame, since I got the first three right. (Here it is if you want to try it: http://www.macleans.ca/news/need-to-know/take-our-trivia-test-and-see-if-you-can-beat-our-genius/)

So it's back to our spiritual home, The Guardian. They've actually got a terrific number of quizzes (3,716 at the last count). I'm going to avoid sports / politics / film specific quizzes, and go for one of the older daily ones (before this thread started and before I started doing them). 

https://www.theguardian.com/news/quiz/2013/sep/18/daily-quiz-18-september-2013

Here's a reminder of the draw...

• Tynieness vs WILLIEA
  • Die Hard Doonhamer vs Cardinal Richelieu
  • Blackislekillie vs Scotfree
  • Arabdownunder vs Bully Wee Villa
  • Leeds Saint vs G_Man1985
  • Ross. vs Peasy23
  • Edmund vs Jacksgranda
  • WhiteRoseKillie vs Dee_62
  • Alang1993 vs Frankie S
  • BigBo10 vs Supermik

PM me your scores by Monday lunchtime. Good luck!!!