The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

Jesus. Just woken up after 2 days on the lash to a surfeit of PMs, a hefty Cardinal error, and rather surprisingly, no hangover. 

Apologies to gkneil and Eednud, first of all. 

Anyway, in the Premiership play off, it was Peasy23 vs Eednud gkneil .. gkneil scored 6/10 and Peasy23 scored....

9646eb5677af291f9425febbeb395abf.jpg

so impressive, he actually managed to get 11/10! On his phone too! He definitely deserves to stay up.. hardlines to gkneil.

And in the SWL play-off, it was Welshbairn vs Dyl. .... Welshbairn picked up 7...

tie.JPG

What is this "No donkeys here" thing all about? I'm confused. Anyway, Dyl nailed a perfect 10 so deservedly takes Welshbairn's place. Thank God there was no draws here, I don't think my mushy brain could have handled it .

e2fd063f92bedf9e98027e6f5f5b0b13.jpg

Now to sort out the cup before embarking on Monday's quiz which looks like a b*****d. Sigh. 

Jesus. Just woken up after 2 days on the lash to a surfeit of PMs, a hefty Cardinal error, and rather surprisingly, no hangover. 
Apologies to gkneil and Eednud, first of all. 
Anyway, in the Premiership play off, it was Peasy23 vs Eednud gkneil .. gkneil scored 6/10 and Peasy23 scored....
9646eb5677af291f9425febbeb395abf.jpg
so impressive, he actually managed to get 11/10! On his phone too! He definitely deserves to stay up.. hardlines to gkneil.
And in the SWL play-off, it was Welshbairn vs Dyl. .... Welshbairn picked up 7...
tie.thumb.JPG.48aa89e23f0fa3cc3e3e5ece01580977.JPG
What is this "No donkeys here" thing all about? I'm confused. Anyway, Dyl nailed a perfect 10 so deservedly takes Welshbairn's place. Thank God there was no draws here, I don't think my mushy brain could have handled it .
e2fd063f92bedf9e98027e6f5f5b0b13.jpg
Now to sort out the cup before embarking on Monday's quiz which looks like a b*****d. Sigh. 

If you tried "ass" it came up with the no donkeys here, I never thought of "tit" which somebody else obviously did.

Right. Here's the answers and results for the cup! About 150 pages ago, Alang1993 was up against newcomer MSU. First the answers... now with no numbering ....

FIRST HALF

• Nihonium, chemical element 113, is named for which country? Japan.
  • What letter is the Burmese equivalent of the word Mr.? U. ... e.g. the Secretary General of the UN, U. Thant (he didn't actually have a first name)
  • What is the cube root of 64? 4
  • Hidrosis is the technical term for which common bodily function? Sweating

Set of 3 – Winter Olympics

• 5. What letter ends the name of the host cities of the games held in 1952, 1956, 1972, 1984, and 1998? O
  • 6. Which country has won the most gold medals in the history of the Winter Olympics, winning 118 in total? Norway
  • 7.  Which country will play host to next year’s games? South Korea

Set of 3 – Animal World

• 8. The presumed extinct Thylacine was an inhabitant of which island? Tasmania .. they're quite cool if you look at pictures of them
  • 9. The hyrax, a small mammal similar to a rodent, is the closest living relative of which larger land mammal? Heffalump
  • 10. Which is the only animal who scientific name is the same as its common name? Boa Constrictor (I couldn't accept Gorilla, as its name is Gorilla Gorilla)

SECOND HALF

• In 2016, which actress, who played Dorian in ‘Birds of a Feather’, became the oldest female celebrity to take part in ‘Strictly Come Dancing’? Lesley Joseph (someone on this thread confided in me once that he fancies her)
  • According to the nursery rhyme, Wednesday’s child is full of what? Woe
  • In cricket, which word used in fielding positions is so called because of the perceived danger of being close to the batsman? Silly (e.g. silly mid-off)
  • What was Agatha Christie’s first published novel? The Mysterious Affair at Styles... MSU went for an inspired guess with The Surprising Affair of Horatio Bellend which wasn't a million miles away :lol:

Set of 3 – Party Politics

• 5. Which political party was founded by Robert Kilroy-Silk on his split from UKIP in 2005? Veritas
  • 6. Which current political party, now on its third name, was originally called The PEOPLE Party when founded in Coventry in 1973? The Green Party
  • 7. What surname is shared by the current manager of the Northern Ireland football team, and the NI leader of Sinn Fein? O'Neill

Set of 3 – Where do they live?

• 8. What is the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury? Lambeth Palace
  • 9. In which state is Camp David, the country retreat of the President of the United States? Maryland
  • 10. The Hofburg Imperial Palace is the official residence of which country’s president? Austria

MSU scored an impressive 14/20 (no marks for Horatio Bellend sadly) but Alang1993 scored an even impressiver 17/20. So Alang1993 is our new champion!!!!! And here is your trophy Alan!

31067-635223557425090000.jpg?w=300&h=350

Definitely feels like we've strayed into the natural habitat of the wild guess rather than anything that passes for knowledge here. 

6/10. Will take that. Was able to narrow down the Bahamas question a bit, and landed guesses on Aussie politics and Olympics. Knew the word definition, musical and novelist.

Knew 3 got 3. Just when you thought you had your measure of Japanese island questions, they chuck in a double Japanese island question.

No league tables until tomorrow. I can't imagine many of you will be wanting to see it anyway!

14 hours ago, Eednud said:

Another season starts but who's in first? second and third? Hope gkneil has answered the play-off question as I'm stuck in the middle with or without you. A relegation inspired 3/10. First 2 plus author.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/mind-games/quiz?quizId=6933&sectionId=1

Here you are.