The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

10 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Never received it. Can you send it again please?

Sigh. Don't make me reach for my shiny new banmallet. 

In cup news, 24 hours to go and we're still waiting for a whole host of results. 

• Cowden0 vs The DA
  • Dee Man vs madwullie
  • Helpma
  • Tynieness
  • MSU 
  • Scotfree
  • Supermik (says he sent it but I have no record of it)
  • The Captain (as above)
  • Wilkinson1998

I'll post the quiz once more... 

1. Until recently, which famous athlete held the world record for the 100m sack race? 
  2. What word can precede ‘beer’, ‘bread’, and ‘nut’ to make well-known terms?
  3.  In 1997, Mike Tyson bit a piece off whose ear during a boxing bout?
  4. Which brand of whisky has an image of Lagopus lagopus scotica on the label?
  5.  In chess, a move in which a player sacrifices a piece in the hope of gaining in the longer term is known as a what? 
  6. ‘The Last King of Scotland’ (2006) was set in which country? 
  7. When TNT is expanded into the full word, how many letters does it contain? 
  8. Bonzo the chimp was one of the two male stars of the film ‘Bedtime for Bonzo’. Who was his human co-star? 
  9. What is the Italian for ‘None shall sleep’? 
  10. Which Caribbean island group has a reptilian name? 

Of course, it all might be a bit moot, as we have a couple more scores in:

• Bully Wee Villa 6 vs 5 Dyl 
  • Eednud 9 vs 6 deej + 6 WILLIEA
So for the round it's sitting at 4-4 for the round and Scotland: 24.0215 vs RotW: 29.06875 ... by my calculations (and BWV's), Scotland need to win 7 out of the last 9 legs. 

Cardinal sent again your eminence.

7/10 for Wednesday. Knew 2, Scarlet Pimpernal and Ethiopa. Guessometer well oiled. As an old workmate of mine once remarked about me "Better to be born lucky than good".

Edited by Jacksgranda
So excited about getting 7 when I was expecting 3, I got the day wrong

Well, there's a few cup scores waiting to come in, but if I'm going to be brutally honest, the competition is over and everyone has gone home so there's not much point playing your rounds. Here's the results that I received...

• Audaces Fortuna Juvat 8 vs 7 gkneil
  • Bully Wee Villa 6 vs 5 Dyl 
  • Cowden0 9 vs 9 The DA
  • Eednud 9 vs 6 deej + 6 WILLIEA
  • Helpma 8  vs 3 BigBo10
  • Jacksgranda 2 vs 5 Johnnydun +  9 - pleslie99
  • Leeds Saint 6 vs 8 Tynieness
  • Ross. 5 vs 8 Blackislekillie
  • Scotfree 7 vs 8 Jagfox99
  • SlipperyP 4  vs 9 Frankie S
  • Swarley 4 vs 6 Peasy23
  • Welshbairn 5 vs 2 irvine_buddie
  • WhiteRoseKillie 8 vs 6 The Captain
  • Wilkinson1998 4 vs 2 LiviLion

So it's 7.5 to RotW and 6.5 to Scotland... RotW win every round and Scotland should take a long hard look at themselves. The final scores were:

RotW: 32.5215 vs Scotland: 26.66875 with only 5 more ties to play. 

So a HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS to all the members of Team Rest of the World. All that remains for me to do is award the ceremonial half-and-half scarf (which is pretty much our sport's green jacket or yellow jersey) to Team RotW's team captain. I appreciate that Team RotW hasn't actually got a captain, so I'll now randomly draw one out a virtual hat...

And the captain is...

winner.png.ee4d8aeec37d8feeda9542017ca4d6c2.png

Well, he might not have won a tie (or he might have, can't be arsed checking) but it was his determination and leadership skills that the Random Number Generator plumped for. So well done to him, and here is your scarf Dee Man... print it off and wear it with pride. 

scraf.png

Up for doing this again sometime, but definitely not for a wee while. In the meantime, I'm a bit devoid of ideas for new cups. Also, I'm quite busy this weekend so might not be in front of a PC much ... what do you want to do about the cup?

4 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Well, there's a few cup scores waiting to come in, but if I'm going to be brutally honest, the competition is over and everyone has gone home so there's not much point playing your rounds. Here's the results that I received...

• Cowden0 9 vs 9 The DA
  • Helpma 8  vs 3 BigBo10
  • Swarley 4 vs 6 Peasy23

So it's 7.5 to RotW and 6.5 to Scotland... RotW win every round and Scotland should take a long hard look at themselves. The final scores were:

So a HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS to all the members of Team Rest of the World. All that remains for me to do is award the ceremonial half-and-half scarf (which is pretty much our sport's green jacket or yellow jersey) to Team RotW's team captain. I appreciate that Team RotW hasn't actually got a captain, so I'll now randomly draw one out a virtual hat...

Yes, we win!

(No thanks to me, I might add, but we'll gloss that over.)

7 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Up for doing this again sometime, but definitely not for a wee while. In the meantime, I'm a bit devoid of ideas for new cups. Also, I'm quite busy this weekend so might not be in front of a PC much ... what do you want to do about the cup?

I want to forget about it...

15 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

• Cowden0 9 vs 9 The DA
  • Helpma 8  vs 3 BigBo10
  • Swarley 4 vs 6 Peasy23

And the captain is...

winner.png.ee4d8aeec37d8feeda9542017ca4d6c2.png

Well, he might not have won a tie (or he might have, can't be arsed checking) but it was his determination and leadership skills that the Random Number Generator plumped for. So well done to him, and here is your scarf Dee Man... print it off and wear it with pride. 

scraf.png

Thank you Cardinal, it's beautiful. I'm going to wear it with pride as my new signature. 

Sorry, forgot to give you the answers for the last round. Quite a few nines, but no team managed to score a full bag. 

1. Until recently, which famous athlete held the world record for the 100m sack race?  Mo Farah .. although some no-mark just smashed his WR by several seconds
  2. What word can precede ‘beer’, ‘bread’, and ‘nut’ to make well-known terms?  Ginger. Not brown or draft. 
  3.  In 1997, Mike Tyson bit a piece off whose ear during a boxing bout? Evander Holyfield. I think nearly everyone got this. 
  4. Which brand of whisky has an image of Lagopus lagopus scotica on the label? Famous Grouse (Alang1993 said Red Grouse but I let him off with it). 
  5.  In chess, a move in which a player sacrifices a piece in the hope of gaining in the longer term is known as a what? Gambit... not a great question, I appreciate, as sacrifice is also an accepted term. Still, what you going to do? Demand a recount?
  6. ‘The Last King of Scotland’ (2006) was set in which country? Uganda. 
  7. When TNT is expanded into the full word, how many letters does it contain? 15. Trinitrotoluene... some big names missing out on that one. 
  8. Bonzo the chimp was one of the two male stars of the film ‘Bedtime for Bonzo’. Who was his human co-star? Ronald Reagan
  9. What is the Italian for ‘None shall sleep’? Nessun Dorma. 
  10. Which Caribbean island group has a reptilian name? More than half of you went for Antilles ... in fact, thought I'd made another cardinal error for a second. But the correct answer was Cayman Islands

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Sorry, forgot to give you the answers for the last round. Quite a few nines, but no team managed to score a full bag. 

1. Until recently, which famous athlete held the world record for the 100m sack race?  Mo Farah .. although some no-mark just smashed his WR by several seconds
  2. What word can precede ‘beer’, ‘bread’, and ‘nut’ to make well-known terms?  Ginger. Not brown or draft. 
  3.  In 1997, Mike Tyson bit a piece off whose ear during a boxing bout? Evander Holyfield. I think nearly everyone got this. 
  4. Which brand of whisky has an image of Lagopus lagopus scotica on the label? Famous Grouse (Alang1993 said Red Grouse but I let him off with it). 
  5.  In chess, a move in which a player sacrifices a piece in the hope of gaining in the longer term is known as a what? Gambit... not a great question, I appreciate, as sacrifice is also an accepted term. Still, what you going to do? Demand a recount?
  6. ‘The Last King of Scotland’ (2006) was set in which country? Uganda. 
  7. When TNT is expanded into the full word, how many letters does it contain? 15. Trinitrotoluene... some big names missing out on that one. 
  8. Bonzo the chimp was one of the two male stars of the film ‘Bedtime for Bonzo’. Who was his human co-star? Ronald Reagan
  9. What is the Italian for ‘None shall sleep’? Nessun Dorma. 
  10. Which Caribbean island group has a reptilian name? More than half of you went for Antilles ... in fact, thought I'd made another cardinal error for a second. But the correct answer was Cayman Islands

Wish you'd given me the answers for Wednesday - 5/10