The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

9/10 on today's quiz, helped by a guess on Shirley Williams. Didn't know the Irish politician. Thought it was a decent set for a Friday. Will have a go at the other quizzes mentioned shortly.

As an aside, can anyone recommend a good pub quiz in Glasgow? There are a few of us thinking of making a trip through from Edinburgh for a meal, a few drinks and, ideally, a quiz.

9/10 on today's quiz, helped by a guess on Shirley Williams. Didn't know the Irish politician. Thought it was a decent set for a Friday. Will have a go at the other quizzes mentioned shortly.

As an aside, can anyone recommend a good pub quiz in Glasgow? There are a few of us thinking of making a trip through from Edinburgh for a meal, a few drinks and, ideally, a quiz.

What night were you thinking?

To be honest, I don't really go to quizzes much cos most of them have p***ks cheating away on their phone. Even using "Shazam" on the music round and not even trying to hide it. Any phone where people isn't cheating is a good quiz in my book.

The Old Schoolhouse in the West End claims to have a pub quiz that you can't cheat on, although it is in the student area so might well be a lot of silly games and not a quiz at all.

Fairly flexible on the night to be honest Cardinal, just want to find a decent quiz. Would rather avoid quizzes where phone cheating goes on. For some reason phone cheating isn't much of an issue at most pub quizzes in Edinburgh, I've only seen it happen twice - once at the Cameo bar in Leith where a large student team weren't even trying to hide it (we still managed to win the quiz after the QM instructed the culprits to put their phones away for the last round) and once in a pub in Morningside. I expect it happens more often at quizzes aimed at a younger crowd, which we tend to avoid anyway.

Got 7/10 on your Friday quiz, good set. Only 5 on the March one, which was mainly down to guesswork.

Fairly flexible on the night to be honest Cardinal, just want to find a decent quiz. Would rather avoid quizzes where phone cheating goes on. For some reason phone cheating isn't much of an issue at most pub quizzes in Edinburgh, I've only seen it happen twice - once at the Cameo bar in Leith where a large student team weren't even trying to hide it (we still managed to win the quiz after the QM instructed the culprits to put their phones away for the last round) and once in a pub in Morningside. I expect it happens more often at quizzes aimed at a younger crowd, which we tend to avoid anyway.

Got 7/10 on your Friday quiz, good set. Only 5 on the March one, which was mainly down to guesswork.

Cheers.

Well I only really know the ones on the Southside... there's one in Armstrongs on Sunday evening, and a couple on Thursday .. the one in Clockworks is pretty solid, and the one in Beechings is easier (actually won it a couple of times), and there's a few different things thrown in (e.g. a Dingbats round, guess the tune round) to add a bit of variety. No idea about the city centre though.

You could use this site, although I've no idea how up-to-date it is.

http://www.pubquizzy.com/index.php/glasgow/pub-quizzes-by-day-of-the-week

4 on today's, made me feel rather silly- there were 7 answers (including a couple I completely guessed) where I'd never heard of the person.

I think today's one was for the over 50s. I could have answered 5 or 6 without the multi-choice hints. So 9/10 was ok - but I cleared haven't spent enough time in the Desert Island Discs archive.

Ha. Now I feel guilty and I take it all back :)

You're indeed right that my annoyance was more at my score rather than the quality of the quiz. It's a bit of a running joke that the Friday quiz is a lot harder than the rest of the week so practically every Friday I think up some petty jibe aimed at the question setter, never dreaming in a million years that they'd be reading this thread!

Just did your quiz again and there's a lot of my favourite topics in there, including politics, chemical elements and geography (I really should have done better). In case you don't believe me, here's my attempt from a couple of weeks later.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/quiz/2014/apr/04/daily-quiz-4-april-2014

edit: feel free to call me an arsehole if you get a crap score :)

I went back and did yours card.

8/10 8)

^^^ good guy

I think today's one was for the over 50s. I could have answered 5 or 6 without the multi-choice hints. So 9/10 was ok - but I cleared haven't spent enough time in the Desert Island Discs archive.

You don't need to be over fifty to remember the answer to 5's finest moment in musical terms:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/qf33g6h

You don't need to be over fifty to remember the answer to 5's finest moment in musical terms:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/qf33g6h

Here's the link:

I never knew she made a football song. Gosh, with that and her politics gig she really was engaged in all kinds of everything.

Didn't help me. Mind you, I'm over 60...

Cheers.

Well I only really know the ones on the Southside... there's one in Armstrongs on Sunday evening, and a couple on Thursday .. the one in Clockworks is pretty solid, and the one in Beechings is easier (actually won it a couple of times), and there's a few different things thrown in (e.g. a Dingbats round, guess the tune round) to add a bit of variety. No idea about the city centre though.

You could use this site, although I've no idea how up-to-date it is.

http://www.pubquizzy.com/index.php/glasgow/pub-quizzes-by-day-of-the-week

Cheers, will check out the link, may give Clockwork a try,

Ha. Now I feel guilty and I take it all back :)

You're indeed right that my annoyance was more at my score rather than the quality of the quiz. It's a bit of a running joke that the Friday quiz is a lot harder than the rest of the week so practically every Friday I think up some petty jibe aimed at the question setter, never dreaming in a million years that they'd be reading this thread!

Just did your quiz again and there's a lot of my favourite topics in there, including politics, chemical elements and geography (I really should have done better). In case you don't believe me, here's my attempt from a couple of weeks later.

edit: feel free to call me an arsehole if you get a crap score :)

Your Eminence,

Would I use such intemperate language to describe a man of the cloth?

No, I was happy with my six points, which may be one or two more than I got when I first tried it last year. I remember q. 4 really giving me the willies - and have not been able to listen to Slade ever since without being reminded of it (fortunately not a common event).

Incidentally, why is the 'average score' given always a point less than indicated by the graphics alongside? Answering that question correctly will earn you total absolution.

Yours,

AWAK