The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

No hope no soap 80% [emoji6]
[mention=55832]pleslie99[/mention] - beat me in the last round, I forgot to say good luck to him, even though he was goading me on the an unrelated thread.
2 wins from 2, I'm your bogey team.
I couldn't resist on the other thread, take the quizzing fraternity global!
Appreciate the good luck message [emoji106]

I hosted a pub quiz last night where one of the questions was "Name the 3 UK cities starting with the letters BR" ... despite the fact there were 17 teams - and some of them filled with clever clogs - not one team got all three cities, because they all stuck down Brighton instead of Brighton & Hove. (Brighton is a town within the city of Brighton & Hove). Despite the fact that I gave every team half a mark for Brighton (which turned out to be a PITA since I had to read out "and a half" after every score for the rest of the quiz), teams were raging at me for being factually correct and a stickler for the rules. 

Not quite sure why I'm telling you this, except for the fact that I know this thread is filled with people who are both quizzers AND pedantic, so I'd imagine I'd have your full support. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

You would usually have my full support, Cardigan, but I’ve just realised I drew Ziggy who beat me who then get drawn against you. I’ve effectively been removed from the cup by the establishment.
Assume Bradford and Bristol were the correct answers but were any points issued for Brechin, referring to Brechin City? They are a ‘city’ in the UK.

3 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I hosted a pub quiz last night where one of the questions was "Name the 3 UK cities starting with the letters BR" ... despite the fact there were 17 teams - and some of them filled with clever clogs - not one team got all three cities, because they all stuck down Brighton instead of Brighton & Hove. (Brighton is a town within the city of Brighton & Hove). Despite the fact that I gave every team half a mark for Brighton (which turned out to be a PITA since I had to read out "and a half" after every score for the rest of the quiz), teams were raging at me for being factually correct and a stickler for the rules. 

Not quite sure why I'm telling you this, except for the fact that I know this thread is filled with people who are both quizzers AND pedantic, so I'd imagine I'd have your full support. 

Got any more of your new Christmas book questions, I was quite good at it?

3 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

You would usually have my full support, Cardigan, but I’ve just realised I drew Ziggy who beat me who then get drawn against you. I’ve effectively been removed from the cup by the establishment.
Assume Bradford and Bristol were the correct answers but were any points issued for Brechin, referring to Brechin City? They are a ‘city’ in the UK.

So else is part of this shadowy conspiracy?!

3 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Got any more of your new Christmas book questions, I was quite good at it?

Sure. Do you want some random ones, or the worst ones I can find? 

14 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

What a jobsworth, I bet you only gave a quarter mark for Brum.

17 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

As someone who has spent a fair bit of time time in Brighton, I would regard it as a fairly tough adjudication. Technically correct, no dispute, but Brighton is used, even by locals, synonymously with Brighton and Hove. Common usage trumps strict accuracy in this instance I would say. It would be analogous if you asked in which city the poet Philip Larkin worked as a University librarian and then docked people half a point for putting Hull, when technically it’s Kingston upon Hull. But then again, I would say that ;-)

Edited by Frankie S

Just now, Frankie S said:

As someone who has spent a fair bit of time time in Brighton, I would regard it as a fairly tough adjudication. Technically correct, no dispute, but Brighton is used, even by locals, synonymously with Brighton and Hove. Common usage trumps strict accuracy in this instance I would say. It would be analogous if you asked in which city the poet Philip Larkin worked as a University librarian and then docked people half a point for putting Hull, when technically it’s Kingston-Upon-Hull. But then again, I would say that ;-)

Haha. Yes, I should also mention that I also asked this question two days ago as well, when Frankie was in attendance. Tbh, I did it both nights because nobody put Brighton and Hove so nobody actually lost out. I see your point re: Brighton (I believe the same would be true for Holland, where even some Dutch people call it Holland rather than the Netherlands). However, I was also thinking that if I lived in Hove, I might get a bit pissed off if someone referred to my city without even referring to my part of it. 

And no, nobody put Brechin NJ2! Glad they didn't ... there might have been riots. 

9 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Shoot, I'm unemployed, got all day.

Cool. I'm afraid I can't pay you though.  I'll just choose a few at random:

1. A guy walks into a bar and asks for a drink. The barman pulls out a gun and points it at the guy. The man says "Thank you" and walks out. What happened?
  2. A man walks into a well lit room and flicks the switch. The lights flicker and the man leaves contented. Why?
  3. A man gets into an elevator and the elevator stops. Instantly, the man knows that his wife must have died. How?

46 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Cool. I'm afraid I can't pay you though.  I'll just choose a few at random:

1. A guy walks into a bar and asks for a drink. The barman pulls out a gun and points it at the guy. The man says "Thank you" and walks out. What happened?
  2. A man walks into a well lit room and flicks the switch. The lights flicker and the man leaves contented. Why?
  3. A man gets into an elevator and the elevator stops. Instantly, the man knows that his wife must have died. How?

Spoiler

1. He had hiccups

2. Executioner in prison?

3. Dunno