The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

Point of order quizzers!

Now the league as become quite popular with the herd, I will suggest time for a league reconstruction.

Top 10,14,16 whatever fight it out for the top prize, with the diddies (me included) to scramble for promotion or relegation, which would happen every Saturday, ready for the new week ahead in a 2nd tier. Give us diddies something to shout about.

This would obviously let the brains concentrate more, for European places and improve our coef not having to play against too many diddies(me included).

To be honest WhiteRose getting pumped by Polands Tatra & Turnip. Is not what this footballing country needs.

The floor is open.

Seems like we have 27 players at present so a 10-10-7 split would be good if we introduce promotion and relegation... assuming that the bottom division might eventually grow to the same number of teams as the leagues above as more players start playing.

I guess the only downside is it would really f**k up the leagues if people aren't putting their Friday guesses in until late in the day as the Cardinal only updates his spreadsheets when at work.

4/10 for Thursday, knew poker, monarch and book and was fairly sure on Baltic state. Got the other six wrong.

Tried to click on the link to Wednesday's but for some reason it takes me to Thursday's automatically. Maybe one of the negatives of accessing this on my phone.

I agree that the league is probably big enough now that it merits being split. Also, it gives permanent mid-tablers like me something to play for..

How does everyone feel about black stars? On the one hand it is a bit of a laugh and "something to avoid". On the other hand, it is a bit discouraging to people at the lower end of the league. As i've got no stars (black gold or otherwise) it's not really up to me. Happy to keep them or happy to bin them. 

Re: leagues. If we did have 3 then the bottom league would serve as a replacement for the black stars.. however, I'm worried that the bottom league might be a bit small. We currently have 27 players (assuming Welshbairn returns). How about two leagues.. 12 in the top league and everyone else in the bottom? We can change it later if more people join. 

A couple of questions:

• Assuming a top league of 12... how many promotion / relegation places?
  • Assuming we start next week, do the top 12 from this week's league qualify for the bottom league?
  • Do stars only get awarded for finishing top / second in the Premier league?

Answers on a postcard!

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Seems like we have 27 players at present so a 10-10-7 split would be good if we introduce promotion and relegation... assuming that the bottom division might eventually grow to the same number of teams as the leagues above as more players start playing.

I guess the only downside is it would really f**k up the leagues if people aren't putting their Friday guesses in until late in the day as the Cardinal only updates his spreadsheets when at work.

14/14/ new guys

10 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I agree that the league is probably big enough now that it merits being split. Also, it gives permanent mid-tablers like me something to play for..

How does everyone feel about black stars? On the one hand it is a bit of a laugh and "something to avoid". On the other hand, it is a bit discouraging to people at the lower end of the league. As i've got no stars (black gold or otherwise) it's not really up to me. Happy to keep them or happy to bin them. 

Re: leagues. If we did have 3 then the bottom league would serve as a replacement for the black stars.. however, I'm worried that the bottom league might be a bit small. We currently have 27 players (assuming Welshbairn returns). How about two leagues.. 12 in the top league and everyone else in the bottom? We can change it later if more people join. 

A couple of questions:

• Assuming a top league of 12... how many promotion / relegation places?
  • Assuming we start next week, do the top 12 from this week's league qualify for the bottom league?
  • Do stars only get awarded for finishing top / second in the Premier league?

Answers on a postcard!

14/14 new guys

If anyone's missing a day's quiz, you can view the archive here:  http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/mind-games/quiz-archive

Re: Swarley. Lawyers from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) have been in touch. Sadly, Swarley's "bonus" points have been rescinded. They also wanted to impose a 10 point penalty, but then they saw that he's nearly bottom already and felt sorry for him. 

alang1993

★★

WhiteRoseKillie

6x 2x

eckthearab

5x

WILLIEA

Peasy23

Edmund

★★★★

Dee_62

The_Kincardine

Dayman

Cardinal Richelieu

Jagfox99

SlipperyP

Supermik

Ross.

Bully Wee Villa

G_Man1985

★★★

Blackislekillie

Aidan

Leeds Saint

★★

KnightswoodBear

die hard doonhamer

★★

Swarley

Wren Road

Jmothecat

Jacksgranda

BigBo10

Frankie S

welshbairn

Happy with a league of 10/12/14, whatever really.

I think we would need at least two up-two down to keep it interesting. Maybe even three teams relegated/promoted.

Stars to stay as they are so the very best players play for gold stars, the worst play to avoid black stars and the mediocre majority play for promotion or to avoid the drop.

24 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

14/14/ new guys

14/14 new guys

Does this mean 2 leagues or 3 leagues?

Happy with a top team of 14 and to keep the black stars (although it'd be good to get feedback from people who actually have black stars!)

I think we need a fully fledged pyramid, 2 top leagues of 13 which split into promotion and relegation at the halfway point(We'll call that 3pm Stranraer time on a Tuesday just to put something solid in there), with 6 in the top half, 6 in the bottom half and the one in the middle left out for the rest of the week for being so meh. 3 up and 3 down from there. Whenever we reach 13 teams in the bottom league we simply open a new league until it reaches the required 13.

Edited by Ross.

11 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Does this mean 2 leagues or 3 leagues?

Happy with a top team of 14 and to keep the black stars (although it'd be good to get feedback from people who actually have black stars!)

1 of 14

the rest

then me

Not quite sure why we need to split the league on a Thursday? Surely the only reason we have a split in the SPFL is to bump up the number of matches played (but without having to play each other 4 times which is too many). Don't want to over-complicate this too much!

So how about top league of 14 and a bottom league of eveyone else? Top 2 / Bottom 2 relegated / promoted automatically. Third bottom and the next top 3 in the bottom league can do a play-off over the weekend (Basically just one of my shitty tie-break questions .. we could have them do another quiz but in the case of a tie it could get a bit messy).