The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

The final of Xmas University Challenge (played by 'celebratory' alumni) is a good watch, partly because i could answer 4 or 5 questions the teams didn't get and partly because Raith Rovers' own Val McDermid won it for her team pretty much on her own.  Thank f**k she doesn't post on here...unless she's actually masquerading as a certain Killie fan from Yorkshire...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b086yhrw/university-challenge-christmas-2016-10-the-grand-final

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

So, here's the preliminary draw for the Diddly Dee Jam Jar Trophy for January. I've excluded Deej and Swarley, but if they re-appear, I'll sort something out. Maybe one of my patent-pending three-way ties that I'm trying to pitch to the SFA. 

From 26 teams, we need to get down to 16. So 6 teams get a bye and 20 teams are in the prelim draw. No seeding just cos I feel like it. 

Tynieness vs WILLIEA
Die Hard Doonhamer vs Cardinal Richelieu
Blackislekillie vs Scotfree
Arabdownunder vs Bully Wee Villa
Leeds Saint vs G_Man1985
Ross. vs Peasy23
Edmund vs Jacksgranda
WhiteRoseKillie vs Dee_62
Alang1993 vs Frankie S
BigBo10 vs Supermik

So if you're name's not on the list, you can take your players to Spain for the weekend! I'll post the quiz tomorrow at some time....

That's a wee bit vague, I need to know the exact time in order to know when I have to start my warm up...

The final of Xmas University Challenge (played by 'celebratory' alumni) is a good watch, partly because i could answer 4 or 5 questions the teams didn't get and partly because Raith Rovers' own Val McDermid won it for her team pretty much on her own.  Thank f**k she doesn't post on here...unless she's actually masquerading as a certain Killie fan from Yorkshire...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b086yhrw/university-challenge-christmas-2016-10-the-grand-final

Aye, she carried them through most of it tbf, saw them on both their earlier appearances. My missus commented that Val "looks a bit scary", to which I replied that she's not as scary as her books.

13 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Aye, she carried them through most of it tbf, saw them on both their earlier appearances. My missus commented that Val "looks a bit scary", to which I replied that she's not as scary as her books.

I've seen her on this, watched some interviews with her regarding her sponsorship of Raith Rovers and heard her on Round Britain Quiz.  I disagree with your Mrs.  I think she comes across really well and would happily buy her a pint or three.

I've not read any of her books, which is a shortcoming.  Are they dark?

I've seen her on this, watched some interviews with her regarding her sponsorship of Raith Rovers and heard her on Round Britain Quiz.  I disagree with your Mrs.  I think she comes across really well and would happily buy her a pint or three.
I've not read any of her books, which is a shortcoming.  Are they dark?

Read a few and they can be a bit dark, but I suppose you can't turn murder mysteries into a barrel of laughs. The TV series Wire in the Blood was based on Val's works.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Read a few and they can be a bit dark, but I suppose you can't turn murder mysteries into a barrel of laughs. The TV series Wire in the Blood was based on Val's works.

I shall take a walk down to Waterstone's on Saturday...and report back.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Always watch Uni Challenge, celeb and student editions. Agree that Val was outstanding. Sad enough to take a note of the questions I got that the teams didn't. Got 8 unique answers in the final, which was a bit below par for me. Particularly fond memories of St Hilda's matches in this year's celeb edition as the utterly gorgeous Daisy Dunn was on their team.

IMG_0350.JPG

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

The final of Xmas University Challenge (played by 'celebratory' alumni) is a good watch, partly because i could answer 4 or 5 questions the teams didn't get

15 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Got 8 unique answers in the final, which was a bit below par for me. 

^^^Bigger budget IMO ;)

Your Daisy is pretty but I'd still rather take Oor Val for a pint.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's a wee bit vague, I need to know the exact time in order to know when I have to start my warm up...

Warming up is something you won't need to bother about as it's going to be 40 today and 41 tomorrow with a "cool" change down to 30 on Monday. 

3 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Warming up is something you won't need to bother about as it's going to be 40 today and 41 tomorrow with a "cool" change down to 30 on Monday. 

Cool down then. (If I can force a replay you'll scratch when you find out the temperatures here...)

So here it is, the last quizday of week 1 and who's on first etc. One thing for sure, unless one of the top 3 Beazers has a mind blank I'm staying put and avoiding being a yo-yo (non-biscuit variety). 5/10 today. 1-6 corrects excepting summun bonum but if had gone with first thought would have been correct. Only 2 Aussie question but extra Antipodean content with 1 x NZ and maintaining the Southern hemisphere focus with a South African one as well. Good luck all.  http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/mind-games/quiz?quizId=5923&sectionId=1

I shall take a walk down to Waterstone's on Saturday...and report back.

Just be aware that Miss McD, like Coben and Deaver, has some early, not all that polished work as well as her later, more complex stuff. Not bad reads, in fairness, but her later stuff is much more rewarding.