The New Stadiums Thread

jamamafegan

The Cardiff RFC park is, yes. The old international rugby / football stadium disappeared under the Millennium.

I thought that was Cardiff Arms Park? Looking at the Wiki page it seems there is a lot of confusion. Looks bizarre when you walk through the city and pass it, the Millenium Stadium with what appears to be some form of conjoined twin awaiting surgical removal.

Also, with regards to the population of Aberdeen vs the average attendance. I thought one of the problems they have is that a lot of the population have moved north through work, and come to the city already supporting a football team.

I know my brother suggests he is one of the few "Outsiders" who attend Pittodrie on a regular basis, but that's more to do with him trying to make sure my nephew doesn't end up following Celtic or Rangers.

When was the last time Pittodrie was full for an Aberdeen game? Even now, having their best season in years, they're averaging crowds of 12,000. Building a 30,000 seater stadium would be utter madness.

Exactly.

'Compromise' is needed between accomodating "above average" crowds, and building seats that'll seldom be occupied.

Right fair enough, 30,000 is maybe pushing things. I just think Aberdeen has more potential. They are a big club with a fantastic history and it makes me sad that utter diddy clubs in England seem to have more ambition than them.

They had 20,017 this season against Celtic.

So, still 1000 off the full capacity when they were having their best start to a season in years. A 30,000 stadium would never be filled and more often than not wouldn't even be half filled. It would be a white elephant of Rugby Park proportions.

Isn't the Aberdeen situation where 'police control of supporters' standing aka safe standing would be ideal? The overall size of it would still be as 20k seated so no white elephant but could increase to say 25k if needed.

20,000 is about right for Aberdeen I think.

I think the problem for Aberdeen is that their glory period came at a time when attendances across Britain were at a historic low. An all conquering Aberdeen team 10 years later at the start of the Sky generation could have pulled in huge crowds IMO.

On Southend's stadium, I think Scots often underestimate just how large some towns in England are. Southend is bigger than Dundee, and I don't think it's outlandish to suggest a competitive Southend team in the Championship could fill a larger modern stadium. Saying that, Colchester were probably hoping for something similar which hasn't materialised. Also has to be recognised that Southend is very close to London, and South Essex is generally West Ham territory.

In their single Championship season in 2006/7 Southend averaged 10,022, the first time they'd average over 10k since 1971/72 and even that was a season they won promotion. Looks like they're a 6/7k team at best.

In their single Championship season in 2006/7 Southend averaged 10,022, the first time they'd average over 10k since 1971/72 and even that was a season they won promotion. Looks like they're a 6/7k team at best.

Which would leave them challenging Dundee Utd as the 6th/7th best supported team in Scotland by average attendance. Shite state of affairs.

ETA:

http://espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/league/sco.1/scottish-premiership?cc=5739

Edited by Ross.

Which would leave them challenging Dundee Utd as the 6th/7th best supported team in Scotland by average attendance. Shite state of affairs.

ETA:

http://espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/league/sco.1/scottish-premiership?cc=5739

Not really when you consider populations. Southend would be Scotland's 4th largest town/city. Let's not get bogged down on this subject though as we all know where the thread would end up if we did. The subject's been raised so it might even be too late... :eek:

Edited by 7-2

Not really when you consider populations. Southend would be Scotland's 4th largest town/city. Let's not get bogged down on this subject though as we all know where the thread would end up if we did. The subject's been raised so it might even be too late... :eek:

When I said shite state of affairs, I was meaning more the market that we have to compete against. The fact that Southend are a relative nonentity in England but would be a big Scottish club tells enough.

The odds in Scotland are stacked against us by the sheer scale of England alone, never mind with the backing they get from Sky/BT/BBC.

Anyway, to get back on topic, Clydebank look to be moving in the right direction with the recent announcement that the council have a fund available for redevelopment of sports facilities and will be working with the club as part of this. Sadly we have no fancy graphics or indeed much in depth detail as it stands....

Edited by Ross.

When I said shite state of affairs, I was meaning more the market that we have to compete against. The fact that Southend are a relative nonentity in England but would be a big Scottish club tells enough.

The odds in Scotland are stacked against us by the sheer scale of England alone, never mind with the backing they get from Sky/BT/BBC.

Anyway, to get back on topic, Clydebank look to be moving in the right direction with the recent announcement that the council have a fund available for redevelopment of sports facilities and will be working with the club as part of this. Sadly we have no fancy graphics or indeed much in depth detail as it stands....

Right, with you.

Okay, I was tempted to make another thread on the following question but as it's related to this then I'll not bother. I pose this question to you all.

Are Scottish Football clubs not aiming high enough when it comes to planning/building new stadiums? I believe they aren't, and this is what I mean.

Aberdeen

Planned a stadium at Loirston Loch - capacity: 21,000

Pittodrie capacity: 21,421

Why did they plan a smaller ground? For a club that many consider to be Scotland's "3rd force" this isn't very ambitious is it? The city of Aberdeen is surely capable of more than this. They will be taking over 30,000 fans to the League cup final - why on earth are they not ambitious enough to plan a 30,000 capacity ground? They would be able to boost their crowds and hopefully success for the club would follow. I have no doubt in my mind that Aberdeen could have 20,000+ on a regular basis for home games. Brighton for example played at a 9000 capacity ground a couple of seasons ago, yet now they are playing in a 27,000 ground and regularly nearly sell out. Aberdeen has 64,000 more residents than Brighton. The lack of ambition is shocking really.

Aberdeen is the one that probably annoys me the most, but another example is Ayr United. They wanted to build a 7000 capacity ground (that's minus 3000 compared to Somerset), yet this season they have been over 8000 when playing Rangers and in the recent past been close to 10,000 against Killie. Again, why the lack of ambition?

According to this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

The Aberdeen Connurbation population is less than half of the Brighton and Hove connurbation. So by your argument Aberdeen should be building a 13000 seater stadium.

There is a severe lack of imagination when building new stadia about how you shut off areas of the ground for smaller crowds.

When I win the euromillions I'll be building a mirror image to the east stand where the shed is at tannadice then I'll put in something high tech like metal roller shutters that pull down over the top tiers when we need to reduce capacity.

Courtesy of the Football League Show, this is Southend's proposed new stadium, Fossett's Farm. It seems to have been on the cards for a while though so whether it actually goes ahead remains to be seen.

Fossetts-farm-stadium.jpg

2389153.jpg?type=articleLandscape

capturesu1.jpg

What the hell is that long part meant to be?

I thought that was Cardiff Arms Park? Looking at the Wiki page it seems there is a lot of confusion. Looks bizarre when you walk through the city and pass it, the Millenium Stadium with what appears to be some form of conjoined twin awaiting surgical removal.

Just as an aside, the current floodlights at Cliftonhill are seemingly the old lights from Cardiff RFC's ground.

What the hell is that long part meant to be?

_66961885_southend.jpg

2280155.jpg?type=articleLandscape

Shops. Comes over as a triumph of design over substance. Having a long straight line of retail outlets may look good on an architects graphic but tough titty on the shopper that has to go all the way back to the end shop if they forgot something. It's one reason most of these shopping developments are L shaped or rectangular layouts. But sod that. It looks good from above.