The Rangers treble

HJ, you might know off hand and I cannae mind where I posted it eons ago....

Plenty of Scottish clubs entered the En@lish FA Cup too, and most of them died.......Rangers , Hearts, Gretna, Third Lanark, Cowlairs, Renton off the top of my head.

QP and Thistle also entered but live.

Any get close to an FA Cup double?

Queen's Park were FA Cup runners-up and Scottish Cup winners in 1884.

Scottish clubs often scratched as soon as they got an away draw.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mehhhhhh, with Lennon at the helm I'd count a league and cup double as the best achievement my club could realistically target.

And don't piss on the rest of the top clubs will ya with Celtic should be romping it home with trebles every year, it just isn't that simple any more. Aberdeen are a very capable squad at the moment and have shown it.

Never said you should be "romping" to the treble, but with your resources compared to the rest of the league it should be achievable every season at present, be careful that Celtic do not look back on this period of time, look at what they won and think, we should have won more, as for the rest of the league, 1 or 2 can maybe come 2nd, and the rest hope to avoid relegation

Never said you should be "romping" to the treble, but with your resources compared to the rest of the league it should be achievable every season at present, be careful that Celtic do not look back on this period of time, look at what they won and think, we should have won more, as for the rest of the league, 1 or 2 can maybe come 2nd, and the rest hope to avoid relegation

Winning the league and reaching cup finals mibees at minimum for some of the support, to me it be pretty fucking dire for the game if Celtic did win treble after treble after treble. :(

With Celtic out of the cups it has given all the other clubs something to fight for to the end of the season and that helps the game more IMO.

Fecking new keyboard

Winning the league and reaching cup finals mibees at minimum for some of the support, to me it be pretty fucking dire for the game if Celtic did win treble after treble after treble. :(

With Celtic out of the cups it has given all the other clubs something to fight for to the end of the season and that helps the game more IMO.

Fecking new keyboard

Point taken about being out of the cups and other teams winning them, but the Celtic budget compared to the other clubs is huge and for that reason alone should mean more success, but the quality of the rest of the Premier League is poor, and for that reason alone, maybe Celtic should be winning everything

European record is thought to be Linfield - they lifted Irish League, City Cup (a seperate league), Gold Cup (another seperate league), Irish Cup, County Antrim Shield, Belfast Charity Cup and Alahambra Cup in 1921-22. Although I don't know if the latter 2 were 'proper' competitions or just individual games - I suspect the Charity Cup at least was a proper length tournament? If they all count, that's 7.

They are often cited as having won 7 trophies in 1961-62 - but it is actually a cheat. They won the first 5 tournaments mentioned above (note by this time he Gold Cup was a knockout cup) and the Ulster Cup. However... in winning the North-South Cup it was actually the previous season's edition whose final had been held-over owing to fixture congestion: the 1961-62 North-South Cup was won by Glenavon.

Valletta of Malta are claimed to have won the league and 5 cups in 2000-01 but this may include some 'irregular' tournaments.

European record is thought to be Linfield - they lifted Irish League, City Cup (a seperate league), Gold Cup (another seperate league), Irish Cup, County Antrim Shield, Belfast Charity Cup and Alahambra Cup in 1921-22. Although I don't know if the latter 2 were 'proper' competitions or just individual games - I suspect the Charity Cup at least was a proper length tournament? If they all count, that's 7.

They are often cited as having won 7 trophies in 1961-62 - but it is actually a cheat. They won the first 5 tournaments mentioned above (note by this time he Gold Cup was a knockout cup) and the Ulster Cup. However... in winning the North-South Cup it was actually the previous season's edition whose final had been held-over owing to fixture congestion: the 1961-62 North-South Cup was won by Glenavon.

Valletta of Malta are claimed to have won the league and 5 cups in 2000-01 but this may include some 'irregular' tournaments.

Cheers HB you really are P&B's invaluable source of inobscure information no one else knows or can find. :)

Archived