Inside No.9

On 27/03/2017 at 05:05, Fide said:

One of my favourite programmes, this, and delighted to see my favourite episode, The 12 Days of Christine, with Sheridan Smith is on BBC2 at 10pm tomorrow.

One of the finest half hours of tv ever made.  My Mrs was a wreck after it.

If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favour and get it watched.

Go on, admit it Fide, moist were your eyes.

Beautiful people are moved by this bulletin of brilliance.

The most hit and miss show I've ever seen. I've watched six episodes.

Two were absolutely terrible (Private Viewing and The Harrowing) - tonally uneven, mixing inane comedy with the kind of Psychoville / League of Gentlemen grotesquerie that clearly appeals to some, but not to me.

Two were patchy, but good in places (A Quiet Night In and The Riddle of the Sphinx). A Quiet Night In was unbelievable from the start, the basic scenario was ridiculous (two incompetent thieves trying to burgle a house, without being noticed, when the residents were at home) and the plot added ever more ridiculous layers until it became a feedback loop of absurdity. There were a few deft moments of slapstick comedy, which elevated it above the other episodes mentioned so far, but very patchy overall. The Riddle of the Sphinx started quite well, I liked how they wove the cryptic crossword aspect into the plot, that was nicely done, but, like The Harrowing, it degenerated into unconvincing horror that seemed inconsistent with the high camp that preceded it. Trying too hard to be edgy.

However, the other two episodes that I've watched (Sardines and The Twelve Days of Christine) were fantastic. Superbly written and brilliantly constructed; stuffed full of well-written, believable characters convincingly brought to life by excellent actors; full of pathos, humour and tragedy.

I thought Sardines would be hard to beat. It reminded me of Alan Ayckbourn meets Samuel Beckett - part domestic farce, part existential horror story. However The Twelve Days of Christine was devastating. Tragic and profoundly moving. 

Looking forward to catching up with the rest. If there any other gems of the quality of Sardines and The Twelve Days of Christine, it will be well worth sifting through the rubbish to discover them.

Edited by Frankie S

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 19:40, jimmy boo said:

BBC 4 started showing League Of Gentlemen from the beginning last night......brilliant stuff and found it funnier than first time round.....genius.

And there are Xmas specials lined up. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42136736

• 1 month later...

Thought that was excellent, yes not as dark as they can be, but incredibly clever and well written, the Shakespearian style was well done and cleverly put together, iambic pentameter and all that and the "Hokey Cokey" ending was splendid, big thumbs up from me!!!

Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room was an exceptional piece of television. Incredibly well written and acted. The characters were treated with so much humanity.

And since I'd never seen it before, I watched 12 Days of Christine immediately afterwards.

And found I had an annoying wee bit of grit in my eye. Definitely grit. Not tears you understand.

As good a series as has been made in the UK in years and years.

Random trivia of the night from this A-class piece of TV: when Pemberton’s character says, “I wanted us to be ‘Cheese and Onion’, but it was already taken”, he was telling the truth. ‘Cheese and Onion’ were, apparently, a real, short-lived early-80s TV duo. Not only that, but Barry Cheese still has a website. This is not a spoof, unbelievably:

“Barry Cheese Comedian”

Also, I loved the Psychoville reference from Shearsmith! 

Thought I'd seen all of these but had a flick through the iplayer and just watched The Understudy and The Harrowing from the first series. Also watched Tom and Gerri again.
Top 3 probably The 12 Days of Christine, The Devil of Christmas and Tom and Gerri. The riddle of the Sphinx just misses out.

Yet more masterly writing and acting from Pemberton and Shearsmith. Hit exactly the right blend of pathos and comedy. All within 30 minutes. Incredibly difficult to pull off, which they did with aplomb. Excellent stuff.

Totally agree mate - one of the best things I have seen on tv for a long long time