Should FIFA take the World Cup out of Qatar?

stumigoo

The population may double with slaves/workers to make it it all happen. The locals who get the money won't. Thing I don't understand is why rich westerners would want to go on holidays or live there, unless they've got an amazing contract. Getting gaoled for a snog in the back of a taxi or a slight stagger on the street, 50 degrees C in the summer, and a high rise version of Livingston with a beach. Women getting gaoled for being raped. Can't think of anywhere less appealing.

Because, hyperbole notwithstanding, those minor inconveniences - and you don't get jailed for being drunk, by the way - are outweighed by the fact that Doha is a pretty darn awesome city if you know where to go, and are male, and the salary is great. Granted, unless you make a hell of a lot it's probably no fun at all. It's just like taking a job in Riyadh - you know it's pretty conservative before you go.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets face it,we have known for years this goes on,but the countries complaining obviously didnt grease the correct palms

Says it all really. If you're a women, try not to get raped cause it'll be your fault and the law won't help you.

That's true for a hell of a lot of the world. And frankly, on internet message boards too. But yes, shariah law's a bitch.

Given all the publicity and foaming at the mouth there was before the Winter Olympics about Russia's draconian anti-gay laws, you'd expect a bit more public outrage at what goes on in Qatar. Virtual slavery and a "who cares?" attitude to the safety of workers doesn't seem to cut it when it comes to the campaigns of the perpetually disgusted.

It'll be interesting to see what happens re the disgraceful treatment of migrant workers.

Then again, there can't be too many countries in the world that the rest would see as being squeaky clean. Sport should be used as a vehicle for change, but I don't buy into all these calls for boycotts.

Forgot to add....Jack Warner - FIFA deserves all the stick it gets for putting up with this guy when his corruption was as blatant as you'd ever see. Horrible wee man.

• 3 weeks later...

Article in the Guardian today talking about the Qatari 'vision' for football and its investments. I wonder if they will try to squeeze themselves into the SKY/BT market of TV coverage here, and I wonder what clubs they will buy next!

Qatar-graphic-001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

There's an article about it in today's Scotsman although I don't know if it's online.

Basically they are looking at reducing the number of stadiums from the agreed 12 to as few as 8 with a lot of fuzzy justifications: their claim is that although the bid was on the basis of 12 stadiums the actual minimum is 8, and FIFA reserves the right to adjust all requirements before finalising the agreement for hosting.

More this goes on, I really hope someone like Australia/the US does try to sue them over this ever-unravelling nonsense.

There's an article about it in today's Scotsman although I don't know if it's online.

Basically they are looking at reducing the number of stadiums from the agreed 12 to as few as 8 with a lot of fuzzy justifications: their claim is that although the bid was on the basis of 12 stadiums the actual minimum is 8, and FIFA reserves the right to adjust all requirements before finalising the agreement for hosting.

More this goes on, I really hope someone like Australia/the US does try to sue them over this ever-unravelling nonsense.

The fact that the Aussies and the US have the infrastructure in place already with massive stadiums all over their respective nations and would have held up their end of the bargain without changing the goalposts (literally in this case), makes me hope for the exact same thing.

Also just reading an article there and hadn't realised that the final will be played in a city (Lusail) that doesn't even exist yet!

Yup, they won the bid on the basis of non-existant stadiums, cooled by technology that hasn't been invented yet, sited in imaginary cities. Even by FIFA's standards this is pretty spectacular.

they won the bid on the basis of non-existant stadiums, cooled by technology that hasn't been invented yet, sited in imaginary cities.

Built by well-treated workers, overseen by integrity-led incorruptible Qatari officials... and played in June.

We're approaching the bottom of FIFA's barrel, tbh.

I reckon we'll reach a stage where the unthinkable happens and this World Cup either gets cancelled at short notice and it doesn't happen anywhere (incredibly unlikely, but FIFA seem determined for this to go ahead while its probably about 70% behind schedule), or we see it played over a couple of countries in the same continent like the Euros in 2020 will be

Archived