Should FIFA take the World Cup out of Qatar?

stumigoo

they won't cancel a world cup. It'll go to another country who is already world cup ready, i.e. england, brazil, france

Yeah I imagine they would, its just how long they can actually wait to make that decision though, you'll surely reach a point of no return

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they won't cancel a world cup. It'll go to another country who is already world cup ready, i.e. england, brazil, france

Yeah. Again there are plenty of countries the world over who are 'World Cup ready', who will bail FIFA out, even after ending up shit on for the big bucks. I'm specifically thinking about Australia here.

Whilst I'm all for giving it to new nations, developing footballing nations, nations with an untapped source of potential, Qatar were about as fucking far removed from any of these as anyone could ever imagine.

Yeah I imagine they would, its just how long they can actually wait to make that decision though, you'll surely reach a point of no return

Hibeejibee will be able to confirm it, but I'm sure that Mexico got a World Cup with a couple of years left until it started because Columbia couldn't hold it.

Hibeejibee will be able to confirm it, but I'm sure that Mexico got a World Cup with a couple of years left until it started because Columbia couldn't hold it.

They got three years to prepare. Seem to remember hearing they had some form of disaster a couple of months before the WC started but miraculously none of the stadiums were damaged

I can see Australia, or England being awarded it if a couple of other countries start to express there doubts. Surely there must be a couple that are completely against the World Cup being played there

I can see Australia, or England being awarded it if a couple of other countries start to express there doubts. Surely there must be a couple that are completely against the World Cup being played there

Hard to imagine anyone wants it there, with the exception of France

If they took it off Qatar they'd give it to the USA, IMO - they would be able to accomodate it without too much notice and it would avoid 2 finals in Europe in a row.

Perhaps Australia.

Colombia withdrew from hosting WC1986 in late 1982 - economy was collapsing.

Mexico were awarded it in May 1983. They sufferred an earthquake in 1985.

Still mental Australia didn't get it, Russia getting 2018 over England was acceptable.

I can understand England not getting it, but I was STUNNED when they went out in the first round. Spain/Portugal was the best bid imho.

And USA was probably the best bid for 2022 but Australia would have been fair enough.

Russia getting 2018 over England was acceptable.

Agreed. Russia is a footballing hotbed. The World Cup going there appears to make perfect sense, or at least did at the time.

It will be interesting to see the reaction of some UEFA nations in terms of participation in 2 years when the groups are drawn if the tensions in Eastern Europe are still ongoing though.

I'd like them to hold it in some shitpoor country where people actually like football, let the journos and blazers stay in a campsite, and FIFA pay for the essentials, like half decent pitches, instead of forcing Macdonalds and Budveiser down everyone's throats and stealing all the profits. Maybe Nepal just to feck off the Qataris.

I'm sure they'd rather not be travelling to a "shitpoor country" when there are plenty of reasonable developed countries with sufficient infrastructure to host the event.

The way the demands of FIFA and their media and franchise contracts have developed over the years, I would think very few. I'd be well excited by a World Cup in Burkina Faso, home of the Panafrican Film and Television Festival. Wouldn't bother me having to bring a tent.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived