US to give Ukraine $1bn. The purpose of the aid package, in particular, is to reduce Ukraine's dependence on natural gas supplies from Russia.

The bill was supported by 385 members of Congress. 23 congressmen of the Republican opposition were against.

(UA link: http://www.unian.ua/politics/893938-kongres-ssha-shvaliv-dopomogu-ukrajini-na-1-mlrd.html )

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone seen sir patrick Stewart's tweet in response to David Cameron tweeting about Russia? :lol:

I've boycotted him since he came out of the closet as a heterosexual. Going to cost a fortune to get my gaydar repaired.

I've boycotted him since he came out of the closet as a heterosexual. Going to cost a fortune to get my gaydar repaired.

really, he's the prototype of the confident balding metrosexual!

The city of Sevastopol has voted to be part of the Russian Federation.

http://www.unian.net/politics/893910-sevastopol-prinyal-reshenie-o-vhojdenii-v-sostav-rf.html

This is where it gets interesting in constitutional terms. Sevastapol is the city where the main naval base that the Russians use for their Black Sea fleet is located, but rather inconveniently for Putin and co where their attempted anschluss is concerned it's not officially part of the autonomous republic of Crimea even though it's at the very southern tip of the peninsula. Also interesting to see that the Ukrainian government appears to be asserting control in Donetsk with the help of Shaktar's Ultras:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10681786/Pro-Russian-leader-arrested-in-Donetsk-as-Kiev-hits-back.html

That's a Danny Dyer documentary waiting to happen. Think there's a big generational divide in the southern and eastern part with the younger generation being more pro-EU than those that grew up under the old Soviet system.

This is where it gets interesting in constitutional terms. Sevastapol is the city where the main naval base that the Russians use for their Black Sea fleet is located, but rather inconveniently for Putin and co where their attempted anschluss is concerned it's not officially part of the autonomous republic of Crimea even though it's at the very southern tip of the peninsula. Also interesting to see that the Ukrainian government appears to be asserting control in Donetsk with the help of Shaktar's Ultras:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10681786/Pro-Russian-leader-arrested-in-Donetsk-as-Kiev-hits-back.html

That's a Danny Dyer documentary waiting to happen. Think there's a big generational divide in the southern and eastern part with the younger generation being more pro-EU than those that grew up under the old Soviet system.

Ukrainian ultras are sticking together on this, have done for a few weeks now. Even when the football season resumes on March 15th, there will be no animosity between fans at all, unless it's pre arranged Fair Play.

Pro-Ukrainian protests in Donetsk as you say.

I dunno about your last paragraph, earlier this week I seen a video of titushka in Luhansk (no older than 21) who were strapping a Russian flag on top of the maidan. They all carried guns.

Ukrainian ultras are sticking together on this, have done for a few weeks now. Even when the football season resumes on March 15th, there will be no animosity between fans at all, unless it's pre arranged Fair Play.

Pro-Ukrainian protests in Donetsk as you say.

I dunno about your last paragraph, earlier this week I seen a video of titushka in Luhansk (no older than 21) who were strapping a Russian flag on top of the maidan. They all carried guns.

donetsk could follow Crimea.

US to give Ukraine $1bn. The purpose of the aid package, in particular, is to reduce Ukraine's dependence on natural gas supplies from Russia.

It's a big figure but works out at about $20 per Ukrainian. How much alternative energy does that buy you? I'm guessing it won't be that much.

I was reading earlier in the week that experts think Ukraine needs $34bn (think it was dollars?) over the next 2yrs, to stop the economy going down the pan. Russia was going to given them an immediate injection - $9bn, I think it was - if they had kept on down the path to joining their Eurasian Union and had actually given $1bn of an initial $3bn just before all hell broke lose? Clearly that's no longer happening...

I guess the US and EU will be having to find the money now. It would be interesting to know how much some parts of Europe - particularly the Germans - have pumped into everyone else since the recession started.

It's a big figure but works out at about $20 per Ukrainian. How much alternative energy does that buy you? I'm guessing it won't be that much.

I was reading earlier in the week that experts think Ukraine needs $34bn (think it was dollars?) over the next 2yrs, to stop the economy going down the pan. Russia was going to given them an immediate injection - $9bn, I think it was - if they had kept on down the path to joining their Eurasian Union and had actually given $1bn of an initial $3bn just before all hell broke lose? Clearly that's no longer happening...

I guess the US and EU will be having to find the money now. It would be interesting to know how much some parts of Europe - particularly the Germans - have pumped into everyone else since the recession started.

I'm sure it was $15bn that Putin was going to give YanukovychUkraine.

News filtering through that Ukraine have missed a payment so Gazprom won't need any sort of excuse to cut the supplies off.

I'm sure it was $15bn that Putin was going to give YanukovychUkraine.

News filtering through that Ukraine have missed a payment so Gazprom won't need any sort of excuse to cut the supplies off.

Was there not concerns a while back when Ukraine missed a payment that the rest of Europe would face issues if the supply to them was cut, as (most of)everybody's else's gas went through ukraine? can't remember how that was resolved.

Sometimes I wonder if the tinfoil hat brigade are right about a secret world order.

It seems like Ukraine is involved in the next tug of war over resources between Russia and the west.

Much like Iraq before it.

Sounds a lot more reasonable than the western leaders pretending they actually give two hoots about the sovereignty of a foreign country.

If anything Russia's involvement has stabilised the country, I really don't trust our government anymore and seeing William Hague talk about respecting other countries is a joke.

There's definitely a bigger picture here and it's not on the news.

This isn't a 'tug of war' over resources mainly because Russia has the resources. Also, Gazprom recently had a scare due to the U.S. producing and exporting its own LPG. I know it doesn't fit into the "THE WEST are oil hungry imperialists" agenda that many have but sometimes that isn't always the case.

China have now essentially backed Russia, changing their tune from a couple of days ago when they declared that Ukrainian sovereignty must be respected. Now, ironically, they've spouted some nonsense about ethnic groups having rights. Spot the mistake.

Why do you think America has meddled with their politics for so long then?

Just to make Russia nervous and destabilise them a little?

Seems a bit foolish.

This isn't a 'tug of war' over resources mainly because Russia has the resources. Also, Gazprom recently had a scare due to the U.S. producing and exporting its own LPG. I know it doesn't fit into the "THE WEST are oil hungry imperialists" agenda that many have but sometimes that isn't always the case.

China have now essentially backed Russia, changing their tune from a couple of days ago when they declared that Ukrainian sovereignty must be respected. Now, ironically, they've spouted some nonsense about ethnic groups having rights. Spot the mistake.

0eb902e2818a516025b731f27267d4ad82fc7021

Hopefully Western imperialists recognise Crimea's right to determine where their own sovereignty lies.

TBF, Putin is no less imperial than Western nations. I will admit when Putin starts lecturing America about freedom, you know it's bad.

Archived