Can Liverpool win the league?

King Kenny 7

Despite this, i hope Liverpool win the league - they;ve been the best side to watch this season

And this is what should come into it. I'm sick of hearing the "Liverpool deserve this" arguments. The team that is crowned champions at the end of the season will deserve it, as they'll have ended up with more points than the others. Anything else is just a big media circle jerk. The way some people have acted it's like every football cliche is in effect - a rags to title story, real Roy of the Rovers stuff - when really, it's a club that have spent less than two massively rich clubs (although these days, to count Chelsea in the same breath as Man City in that regard is a bit unfair to them) but then still spent a fair old amount. They're 5th in the Premier League table in terms of spend per season over the last five, only beaten to that by City and Chelsea (obviously), United and a ridiculous Stoke side who have spent almost £100 million (deary me...).

Then there's the stuff surrounding Gerrard. You'd think he was on the edge of a knighthood the way some have gone on. Forgetting about what he's done off the pitch, he's a good player, and a loyal captain, but no more so than other players you could mention. Does he want to win the league any less than John Terry, say? There's no clamour around him winning the title.

So if Liverpool do win the league, they'll deserve it, and they have played some great stuff this season. But the narrative is getting immensely tedious.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this is what should come into it. I'm sick of hearing the "Liverpool deserve this" arguments. The team that is crowned champions at the end of the season will deserve it, as they'll have ended up with more points than the others. Anything else is just a big media circle jerk. The way some people have acted it's like every football cliche is in effect - a rags to title story, real Roy of the Rovers stuff - when really, it's a club that have spent less than two massively rich clubs (although these days, to count Chelsea in the same breath as Man City in that regard is a bit unfair to them) but then still spent a fair old amount. They're 5th in the Premier League table in terms of spend per season over the last five, only beaten to that by City and Chelsea (obviously), United and a ridiculous Stoke side who have spent almost £100 million (deary me...).

Transfers or wages? i suspect they are 5/6th in terms of wages depending on Spurs.

I genuinely can't think of a more impressive achievement in modern football than going from 7th to champions within a season. Maybe Greece and Porto ion 2004 but then again they were knockout tournaments.

Transfers or wages? i suspect they are 5/6th in terms of wages depending on Spurs.

I genuinely can't think of a more impressive achievement in modern football than going from 7th to champions within a season. Maybe Greece and Porto ion 2004 but then again they were knockout tournaments.

I think it's transfers. Just hate the attitude of some that seems to be that Liverpool haven't spent a penny and are to be applauded for their business model just because they're facing City and Chelsea. They've spent a fair whack to get where they are, just less than them.

And it will be a great achievement if they do it. Cup competitions are great achievements also, but this can be thought of as better as they will have been the best over a 38-game stretch. You can't really say it's been a weak season in the league either - if Liverpool do win their remaining games, they'll hit 89, which is only one less point than the title winning side of 2008, which was the highest since 2007.

I think it's transfers. Just hate the attitude of some that seems to be that Liverpool haven't spent a penny and are to be applauded for their business model just because they're facing City and Chelsea. They've spent a fair whack to get where they are, just less than them.

Well they are hardly likely to have won the league with free transfers and youth players.

Rodgers has cut the budget since Dalglish's days in charge and improved the quality of the play and results beyond all recognition.

City, Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal all dwarf Liverpool in terms of footballing spend. Spurs will be just about on a par.

When the team with 2 games in hand gives away a lead in a home game against the team bottom of the league, whose manager has been dissing his team all week, you get the feeling Liverpool are destined to win the championship.

Anyone else in their position I'd like them to win it, but I just can't bring myself to it. Horrid club.

Yeah I kind of feel like that.

The Suarez issues still grate with me - and also Dalglish being an utter cock when he was in charge a few years back.

They're winning me round with their style of football though.

Most successful football club in Britain.

How'd you like them apples.

That's a good point actually, I like them now.

And this is one of the best come-backs I've seen. Sometimes its difficult to respond to the utter nitwits that post from time to time. Well played sir, well played.

*makes w****r gesture*

I would say something negative about your post, but for sheer effort alone I refuse. To use the quote button then delete everything, then either typing in or pasting the my team, takes so much effort for what it's worth how could I possibly slate your post?! I take my hat off to you. 10 out of 10 for effort. Well done, sir!

Gerrard has been tremendous this season - Rodgers is the first manager who's got some positional discipline from him and that's led to him having one of the best seasons of his career - but calling him decent and likeable is just about the most ridiculous thing ever posted on P&B. He's a horrible thug with no redeeming features as a person.

Gerrard has been tremendous this season - Rodgers is the first manager who's got some positional discipline from him and that's led to him having one of the best seasons of his career - but calling him decent and likeable is just about the most ridiculous thing ever posted on P&B. He's a horrible thug with no redeeming features as a person.

Have you met him? Spent a lot of time in his company?

I'm no gerrard fan but how you can say someone you have never met has no redeeming features as a person is beyond me.

I'm no gerrard fan but how you can say someone you have never met has no redeeming features as a person is beyond me.

I agree. Never having met them I refuse to share the public hatred for Stuart Hall or Mick Philpott until I can go for a couple of beers and game of pool with them and make my own mind up.

its the p&b way, there is and never will be a middle ground

you are either a great player or a shite one,a great ref or a c**t of a ref, and in this case gerrard is either a c**t or a decent bloke, he's never just "a bloke"

LOL not even trying to hide it any more are they?

Chelsea player downed Penalty? Nooo

Chelsea player downed Penalty? Nooo

Sunderland player handles Penalty? Noo well Yes but probably accidental

Chelsea player barged Penalty? Nooo

Wait a minute was that a Sunderland player possibly touched in the box.

Mike Dean of Heswall Wirral 15 minutes across the Mersey from Liverpool says PENALTY !

Goal and free drinks for years to come for Mr Dean.

Put the red ribbons on that trophy... back out the bus.....well it's what everyone wants for this year isn't it...the documentaries are all prepared.

Archived