Can Liverpool win the league?

King Kenny 7

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool's game vs Chelsea on Sunday 27th will be smack in the middle of the Champions League semi finals.

Aye it will be. If Chelsea are drawn to play their 2nd leg on the Tuesday it'll move back to Saturday 26th.

Course they can

8 penalties in last 9 games taking them to an all time Premiership Penalties Record of 12 in a season with 5 games still to play.

Mark Clattenberg scheduled for Man City game

Last big Liverpool game, Old Trafford v Utd

- 3 penalties awarded to Liverpool and one red card for Man U

The man who officiated a Merseyside derby at Goodison so badly one sided he was suspended

- 2 penalties to Liverpool and 2 red cards for Everton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-489051/Clattenburg-given-time-poor-officiating-following-Merseyside-derby-fiasco.html

They couldn't make this more obvious if they tried.

Joe Hart should be getting plenty of spot kick practise in for the weekend.

Which of the penalty decisions at Old Trafford did you think was incorrect? And where does his failure to send off Rafael in the same game fall into your little theory? Was he just throwing folk off the scent?

The number of penalties a club receives isn't that relevant. What would be more relevant would be how many of those were incorrect and how many penalties they've been wrongly denied. But feel free to carry on with the whiny paranoid ramblings anyway.

The number of penalties a team is awarded is in proportion to the number of times they attack into the opposition's box.

Well if you say so that must be true....the record Liverpool have equalled with games to spare belonged to Crystal Palace season 2004/05. What a joy they were to watch, wave of attack after attack until there opponents simply had to foul them to stop them....wait a minute this can't be right ...it says here they got relegated but how did that happen with their relentless talented attack which forced so many penalties.

Which of the penalty decisions at Old Trafford did you think was incorrect?

The one where Sturridge lost his footing "winning" not only a penalty but getting Vidic sent off as a result

edited...I was too generous there with lost his footing ..it's a dive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTFZPlY2hdk.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/03/17/video-daniel-sturridge-dives-to-secure-penalty-against-man-united-nemanja-vidic-sent-off/

Well if you say so that must be true....the record Liverpool have equalled with games to spare belonged to Crystal Palace season 2004/05. What a joy they were to watch, wave of attack after attack until there opponents simply had to foul them to stop them....wait a minute this can't be right ...it says here they got relegated but how did that happen with their relentless talented attack which forced so many penalties.

I don't know if the Palace statistic is correct, but, if it is, it's the exception which perhaps proves the rule. What would be your explanation for a lowly team being awarded a high number of penalties? Another referees' conspiracy?

What about the blatant decisions that have gone against Liverpool this season?

The penalty at Stamford Bridge that wasn't given?

The penalty at Highbury that wasn't given?

The clearly onside goal that Sterling scored at Maine Road that was given offside?

West Ham's goal on Sunday that was a clear foul on the goalkeeper?

That's just off the top of my head without refering to 7 year old newspaper articles as well.

I don't know if the Palace statistic is correct, but, if it is, it's the exception which perhaps proves the rule.

It is correct and far from the only exception meaning that there is no direct correlation between the number of penalties a team is awarded the number of times they attack into the opposition's box as you stated in a nice clear one sentence fact.

Palace won a lot of their penalties due to the ease with which Andy Johnson fell over in the opponents box....now there may be a proportional relationship for you in that one.

Course they can

8 penalties in last 9 games taking them to an all time Premiership Penalties Record of 12 in a season with 5 games still to play.

Mark Clattenberg scheduled for Man City game

Last big Liverpool game, Old Trafford v Utd

- 3 penalties awarded to Liverpool and one red card for Man U

The man who officiated a Merseyside derby at Goodison so badly one sided he was suspended

- 2 penalties to Liverpool and 2 red cards for Everton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-489051/Clattenburg-given-time-poor-officiating-following-Merseyside-derby-fiasco.html

They couldn't make this more obvious if they tried.

Joe Hart should be getting plenty of spot kick practise in for the weekend.

Your clutching at straws. 12 penalty kicks - 5 more than Man City - or not this Liverpool side have earned the position they are in.

It is correct and far from the only exception meaning that there is no direct correlation between the number of penalties a team is awarded the number of times they attack into the opposition's box as you stated in a nice clear one sentence fact.

Palace won a lot of their penalties due to the ease with which Andy Johnson fell over in the opponents box....now there may be a proportional relationship for you in that one.

I remember the Johnson problem. I believe refs have learned to spot divers better over the years and refuse to accept that Liverpool have gained any advantage from refereeing decisions this season.

In the most recent Man Utd Rafeal should have been sent off, in the West Ham game Liverpool should never have been behind after Andy Carroll's challenge on the keeper. I would imagine a forward line of Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling will lead to more fouls as defenders struggle to deal with their pace and movement.

I remember the Johnson problem. I believe refs have learned to spot divers better over the years and refuse to accept that Liverpool have gained any advantage from refereeing decisions this season.

Well case closed then eh

No point going over those other games off the top of our other posters head where Liverpool were badly treated

Highbury where they got one penalty and Gerrard should have been ordered off but wasn't

Maine Road where City fans thought they had 3 or 4 good penalty claims for Skrtel's holding

West Ham where that goal error was made up for by the award of a dodgy penalty

But the decisions against Liverpool were worse...All decisions go against Liverpool ...you've convinced me :rolleyes:

Show me where I said "decisions against Liverpool were worse." I have no axe to grind, for or against any team in that division. I entered this debate to state that teams who attack will get more pens. That is all.

Well case closed then eh

No point going over those other games off the top of our other posters head where Liverpool were badly treated

Highbury where they got one penalty and Gerrard should have been ordered off but wasn't

Maine Road where City fans thought they had 3 or 4 good penalty claims for Skrtel's holding

West Ham where that goal error was made up for by the award of a dodgy penalty

But the decisions against Liverpool were worse...All decisions go against Liverpool ...you've convinced me :rolleyes:

The same game just along the road from the old Highbury where Suarez should have had a stonewall penalty just after the first 1 and Liverpool got knocked out the FA Cup?

There's no doubt some decisions have gone for them too but just don't think there's any case to claim its a conspiracy.

Show me where I said "decisions against Liverpool were worse." I have no axe to grind, for or against any team in that division. I entered this debate to state that teams who attack will get more pens. That is all.

and that isn't correct even just looking at the latest season unless you think Palace(5) Stoke(4) and Villa(4) attack more than Arsenal(3) and Everton(2) ?

The same game just along the road from the old Highbury where Suarez should have had a stonewall penalty just after the first 1 and Liverpool got knocked out the FA Cup?

There's no doubt some decisions have gone for them too but just don't think there's any case to claim its a conspiracy.

I am of course being awkward :), Liverpool have indeed had some poor decisions against them like all the others, but I do feel this last 2 month phase they've had more than their fair of generous decisions and often at decisive times. Clattenburg who has now twice ended up as the main feature (never good for a ref) of 2 very high profile Liverpool games where he has made incorrect decsions in their favour just doesn't seem a good appointment.

The current top ref and the one being sent to represent England at the World Cup is Howard Webb. For what is the biggest game of the season you'd think you'd schedule your top ranked referee but then he failed to correctly award Liverpool their second penalty in the Arsenal FA Cup game.

I'd be surprised if anyone really thinks Howard Webb is England's top referee. He's had a shocking season.

Clattenburg is a good ref. Him or Michael Oliver should be getting the top games.

Archived