Can Liverpool win the league?

King Kenny 7

Is it? Theyve only lost one home game this season, and that was in September and only drawn one, a "blip" against Villa. Chelsea and City have both dropped points in as many games than theyve won away from home.

I certainly wouldnt bet against Liverpool winning both those games

That's a pretty simplistic way of looking at it though. Chelsea haven't lost away to Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City and Man Utd in nearly two years, and City have only lost one of their last 6 v the same teams (Liverpool in for City). If Liverpool do win both those games, no one could argue they deserve to win the league but I can't see it.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a pretty simplistic way of looking at it though. Chelsea haven't lost away to Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City and Man Utd in nearly two years, and City have only lost one of their last 6 v the same teams (Liverpool in for City). If Liverpool do win both those games, no one could argue they deserve to win the league but I can't see it.

No more, or less, simplistic than your argument.

Statistics mean nothing at the business end of the season

why do bookies give odds as 6/4 rather than 3/2?

It is to do with pre decimalisation. You would be looking to win a ten bob note, hence you would need to bet four bob. Little quirks like that still exist, some bookies still offer 100/30 instead of 10/3.

It is to do with pre decimalisation. You would be looking to win a ten bob note, hence you would need to bet four bob. Little quirks like that still exist, some bookies still offer 100/30 instead of 10/3.

Its weird that. I have seen 100/30 some places, William Hill uses 10/3 but also uses 6/4. Strange carry on

Its weird that. I have seen 100/30 some places, William Hill uses 10/3 but also uses 6/4. Strange carry on

I would think 6/4 just goes with 5/4, 7/4, 9/4 etc, throwing in 3/2 etc would just confuse punters.

I've no idea why they chose to use 100/30 rather than 13/4 between 3/1 and 7/2, I would think they are using 10/3 now due to Betfair etc using decimal odds.

No - still a bridge too far. Chelsea will win the league.

Liverpool may very well be second though - which was unimaginable at the start of the season.

Brendan Rodgers must be a stick on for manager of the year. Absolutely magnificent job he's done. Fantastic manager.

He is one of the front runners yep but if he keeps Palace up then Pulis would be in with a strong shout too.

The fact that they still have Chelsea and City to play at home can make it Liverpools to lose if you want to look at it that way

No it doesn't. I already pointed out earlier that even if Liverpool won every single game until the end of the season, they would still finish behind Man City if City won every game except the Liverpool one.

No it doesn't. I already pointed out earlier that even if Liverpool won every single game until the end of the season, they would still finish behind Man City if City won every game except the Liverpool one.

Would still not fancy them to take up full points from Arsenal. Utd (being serious) and Everton away. If they do then well played to them

Pulis is a decent shout actually - I did think of him too. He's been excellent.

I just think Liverpool have come so far this season which is why Rogers deserves it ahead of Pulis. Who even thought Liverpool could be 4th this season?

I would think 6/4 just goes with 5/4, 7/4, 9/4 etc, throwing in 3/2 etc would just confuse punters.

I've no idea why they chose to use 100/30 rather than 13/4 between 3/1 and 7/2, I would think they are using 10/3 now due to Betfair etc using decimal odds.

No as I explained pre decimalisation odds were not like we see today. Odds were given so people knew how much they were winning. 100/30 would mean you would be betting 30 bob and winning a £5 note plus your stake. 6/4 was used as you would bet four bob to win the ten bob note. This tradition in British bookmakers remains, but if you choose to bet with a Euro bookmaker you will never see 100/30 or 6/4 as their website will use the lowest denominator. Fractional odds was always done in this way. After decimalisation more fractional odds were used and incorporated.

Anyway Liverpool are a fantastic side to watch this season. Rodgers has done a great job thus far. I still feel that they can be over run in midfield at times when they are playing Suarez and Sturridge, but they are a superb attacking side. Coutinho and Gerrard's passing through to the front two, especially when they look to get inside their defenders has been brilliant. Rodger's has always set his teams up to play that way, and with Liverpool he has the personnel to win against the big sides.

Will they win? Quite possibly. But I think they need to beat both Man City and Chelsea. They were pretty unlucky in the away games, so there is no reason to think they can't. But if they were to pick up injuries they don't have the squad currently to cope. Although they have missed both Sturridge and Suarez for long spells this season and coped fine.

I agree with H-B that Rodgers is a shoe in for the manager of the year.

Would be pretty funny if Man Utd did Liverpool a favour by beating City.

I don;t think they'll do quite enough - i reckon Chelsea, who have the easiest run in - will grind it out. What should excite Liverpool is the possibilty of finishing better than 4th, garunteeing CL football and setting them up to keep Suarez and add some more quality. Gerrard has been great this season but a long term replacement "quarterback" is probably necessary this summer.

No more, or less, simplistic than your argument.

It is actually. I compared the teams form against similar levels of opposition, which is far more relevant than comparing them against any opposition. Liverpool are now consistent at beating mid table/bottom half teams, but I wouldn't back them v Chelsea or Man City.

It is actually. I compared the teams form against similar levels of opposition, which is far more relevant than comparing them against any opposition. Liverpool are now consistent at beating mid table/bottom half teams, but I wouldn't back them v Chelsea or Man City.

Except you didnt. You compared the clubs form against similar levels of competition. This seasons team is completely different to last seasons and going back further they didnt even have the same manager.

So, explain again how thats more relevant than comparing this seasons teams record at home.

Archived