C'mon England

heedthebaa

Indeed. But this is really bad news for the England haters up here, who like to pretend everyone down South is already booking tickets for the victory parade.

I dislike the English national team and sporting media, but have never pretended this. Please retract and apologise.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any doubt that the vast majority of English people are realistic regarding their prospects. However, much like H_B's other favourite subject, the majority opinion will get absolutely no airtime in the collective national media, which will be like Ally McLeod on eccies from the minute official coverage starts.

I don't know anyone expecting much from England this year, most people are just looking forward to the World Cup generally. The national team is not a priority for most English supporters, I don't know anyone who wouldn't prefer their own club to win even a league cup ahead of England winning something. I'm sure its similar for Spanish/Italian supporters where club & regiobal rivalries run deep and the national team is an afterthough. I think it's a tough call if we make it out the group, I'd be happy enough with that as theres a reasonable tie awaiting in the next round and 1/4 final would be good progress.

I think they will, purely on the evidence that Uruguay's captain, whose name I've forgotten, is the worst player I've ever seen at Villa Park. If they're relying on him England could beat them even if they pick a comedy forward line like Bob Carolgees, Jasper Carrott and Danny Welbeck.

I think they will, purely on the evidence that Uruguay's captain, whose name I've forgotten, is the worst player I've ever seen at Villa Park. If they're relying on him England could beat them even if they pick a comedy forward line like Bob Carolgees, Jasper Carrott and Danny Welbeck.

Diego Lugano?

I'm unsure of England's prospects. I don't see us getting any further than the Quarter Finals which would be good progress and I don't think too unrealistic, and yet if we were to be dumped out in the group stages I wouldn't exactly be shocked, and certainly wouldn't be enraged either. However, Italy and Uruguay will provide stern tests and folk are probably guilty of underestimating Costa Rica who are a half decent side already.

Hodgson has a good record though - he's only been beaten 3 times in charge of England I think, hence why I think getting a result against Uruguay is a realistic target. Italy will be the toughest game for me, but that said we kept them out for 120 minutes two years ago with Scott Parker playing. Whether it was unpretty again or not, if we were to do the same again I think most would be happy.

Roy's picked a versatile squad, much to his credit. I can see a pretty defensive minded midfield sent out against Italy. Yet if we were to go one down, with options like Lallana and Sterling on the bench, he has the capability to change flow of the game. It seems we could go from containing to pretty direct with relative ease.

Don't think he's got anything to comlain about. Forster is a better keeper.

Also, his claims thta he should have got the nod because he played for a shit team in the Premiership is laughable. Forster plays in the Champions League if he wants to go down the "show us your medals" line.

You aren't good enough mate. That's why you are on the standby list. Here to help.

Wouldn't mind seeing England do well this year, would be interesting and surprising at least.

Can't say I want them to win the thing as the media frenzy would be relentless but I wish them all the best*

*I am allowed to potentially change my mind when they kick off their first game

Don't think he's got anything to comlain about. Forster is a better keeper.

Also, his claims thta he should have got the nod because he played for a shit team in the Premiership is laughable. Forster plays in the Champions League if he wants to go down the "show us your medals" line.

You aren't good enough mate. That's why you are on the standby list. Here to help.

They're about the same level. Forster's record this season is impressive but 12 clean sheets in a side as shite as Norwich is also to be admired. In reality, both are distinctly average 'keepers, and I'd expect Ben Foster to be rightly called upon should Hart get an injury or suspension. I'd have done the same as Roy on the basis of Forster's CL experience, but it really won't matter anyway. I'm glad he hasn't called up a 'keeper because his coach works with him reguarly.

On a seperate note, I don't know if it's just me but from my time on here there seems to be a thing on P&B whereby if there is a 'keeper who is Scottish, he immediately becomes ten times better. Craig Gordon was the best in the PL a few years back, Allan McGregor was better than Joe Hart for a bit and now it's David Marshall's turn to get wanked over, though he has had an impressive season admittedly. It's strange. If you tell someone on here England are better than Scotland they'll agree, but tell em Hart is a better option than those Scotland have available to them and they're willing to fight to the death on how amazing their options are.

It's not just P&B that's "wanked over"

David Marshall this season, the majority of English pundits have also.

Gary Neville had him in his team of the year

I've lived in England for 16 years and my ABE attitude has landed me in bother a couple of times - in 2002 when Ronaldinho lobbed Seaman I yelled "ya fuckin' dancer!!", and within seconds my neighbour was banging on my door telling me there was no need to be like that! In 2006 I was in a pub watching the penalty shootout against Portugal, got spotted sneakily celebrating after the last penalty, got threatened with a chibbing!

No change this year, ABE, get it right up their smug, arrogant pusses!, cannae wait to see Lawro and Ian Wright greetin like a pair of spoilt bairns!!

I've lived in England for 16 years and my ABE attitude has landed me in bother a couple of times - in 2002 when Ronaldinho lobbed Seaman I yelled "ya fuckin' dancer!!", and within seconds my neighbour was banging on my door telling me there was no need to be like that! In 2006 I was in a pub watching the penalty shootout against Portugal, got spotted sneakily celebrating after the last penalty, got threatened with a chibbing!

No change this year, ABE, get it right up their smug, arrogant pusses!, cannae wait to see Lawro and Ian Wright greetin like a pair of spoilt bairns!!

But you live there. How do you put up with the smug arrogant pussies the rest of the time?

But you live there. How do you put up with the smug arrogant pussies the rest of the time?

Valium! In all honesty in a non-football envionment they're just regular people, albit with an annoying accent. As soon as football is involved they morph into annoying wankers!!

On a seperate note, I don't know if it's just me but from my time on here there seems to be a thing on P&B whereby if there is a 'keeper who is Scottish, he immediately becomes ten times better. Craig Gordon was the best in the PL a few years back, Allan McGregor was better than Joe Hart for a bit and now it's David Marshall's turn to get wanked over, though he has had an impressive season admittedly. It's strange. If you tell someone on here England are better than Scotland they'll agree, but tell em Hart is a better option than those Scotland have available to them and they're willing to fight to the death on how amazing their options are.

I think some of it is a defence mechanism to the old cliche of the 'Scotch 'keeper' being automatically dodgy.

I'm quite looking forward to the England games. They're a British team so I'm a Brit for the duration of the World Cup and supporting our neighbours in the South against those foreign chaps. C'mon England. I draw the line at wearing one of this daft England bowler hats, or the like.

I really, really, wish Scotland still got to World Cups. Even three games and out is better to no games and no qualification since '98.

Archived