Re-think the playoffs

Who should get into the playoffs?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep 1 up 1 down down but instead of play-offs add a "hot potato" element to the league like so:

The biggest losers on the first day of the season get an "R" next to their name, and keep it until they win a game. The team they beat then gets the "R", and so on for 36 weeks. Whoever has it on the last day of the season goes into a relegation play-off, no matter where they finish in the league.

It's like half league/half cup. Playing the team plagued with the "hot potato" would turn into the most exciting game of the season!

At the end of the season:

1st- promoted.

2nd- promotion play-off.

"R"- relegation play-off

10th (12th in Prem)-relegated

(If 1st, 2nd or 10th/12th have the R at the end of the season the other 7 teams draw straws for it. :rolleyes:)

I love this idea. Mental but genius.

Can anyone be bothered to work out who the hot potato teams would be this year?

In League 2 Queen's Park got it on the first day and kept it until October.

It went around almost every week, Elgin held on to it for a few weeks, but QP got it again in February and kept it for another month.

On the last day of the season 2nd-placed Annan had it, but their 2-0 defeat of 9th-placed Elgin saw justice done.

In League 1 Brechin got the hot potato on the first day of the season, losing 4-1 to Rangers. After that a new team got it every week until Brechin were lumped with it again, losing to Arbroath.

They kept it for almost two months before throwing it back at Arbroath in another potato-flavoured Angus derby. This kicked off a losing streak for the Lichties, who kept it from October to January. Stenhousemuir got it and despite a month unbeaten, kept drawing their games, until finally getting the monkey off their back with a 4-1 defeat of Forfar.

It changed hands a few times after that, but Stranraer got it on the 8th of March and the Curse Of The Hot Potato kicked in again- they didn't win a game until the final day of the season, when Forfar got it back.

First division, if I just scanned through the results correctly, it would have been us - a little unluckily as the final whistle on the final day would have been the first time we'd held it. I think the only team never to hold it during the season were Falkirk.

In the Championship, Cowdenbeath started with a losing streak through August but offloaded the potato to Dumbarton four weeks in.

It changed hands almost every week until Cowden got it again in November, and kept it for a month before leaving it at Dens after a 2-1 win. Dundee won the next week at Alloa, and the Wasps' Winter of discontent saw them keep the hot potato until February, when they finally got a win against Morton.

Ton kept it for a month before beating Dumbarton, but got it back only two weeks later, again from Alloa. This time they got rid of it quickly, beating Dundee the following week. Dundee in turn gave it back to Alloa on the penultimate day of the season, and they failed to get rid of it on the final day, losing 3-1 to Falkirk.

St. Mirren started the Premiership season worryingly, keeping the hot potato from the first day of the season until their first win, in October against Hearts, who kept it for a month before offloading it at Pittodrie.

Aberdeen got rid of it quickly at St. Johnstone after a few weeks without a win, the Saints gave it to Dundee Utd just before New Year, and United kept it until February, when they finally got a win against Kilmarnock.

Killie gave it to Hearts, who got rid of it on Hibs' "Hearts Relegation Party" day at Tynecastle. Hibs finished the season with the hot potato.

First division, if I just scanned through the results correctly, it would have been us - a little unluckily as the final whistle on the final day would have been the first time we'd held it. I think the only team never to hold it during the season were Falkirk.

Just checked again and Albino is right. I shoulda just left it to the expert.

Anyhow, if the SPFL don't take this up there's no reason p&b can't. We can follow it on this thread or elsewhere next season and think up some obscene forfeit for fans of the losing teams to perform.

Anyhow, if the SPFL don't take this up there's no reason p&b can't. We can follow it on this thread or elsewhere next season and think up some obscene forfeit for fans of the losing teams to perform.

Brilliant idea.

Keep 1 up 1 down down but instead of play-offs add a "hot potato" element to the league like so:

The biggest losers on the first day of the season get an "R" next to their name, and keep it until they win a game. The team they beat then gets the "R", and so on for 36 weeks. Whoever has it on the last day of the season goes into a relegation play-off, no matter where they finish in the league.

It's like half league/half cup. Playing the team plagued with the "hot potato" would turn into the most exciting game of the season!

At the end of the season:

1st- promoted.

2nd- promotion play-off.

"R"- relegation play-off

10th (12th in Prem)-relegated

(If 1st, 2nd or 10th/12th have the R at the end of the season the other 7 teams draw straws for it. :rolleyes:)

Although ingenious in it's conception the hot potato what happens if all the ties on the first day are drawn ?, although in saying that the first hammering of the season could be a contender fur the spud.

Might I suggest no matter who the fcuk you are the biggest defeat of the season in any league deserves to be punted down a division lower. :) Get beat 6 nil and it's off out the division you go if it has not been beaten by the end off the season so the onus on the last day for the poor unfortunate club to pump their opposition by 7 nil to stay in the league. :lol:

Yeah, if there are any teams with equal / equally bad results on day one, whichever of those teams gets the worst result on day two gets the spud.

If there's no outright worst beating in week one, the hot potato rolls over, like the Lottery, I reckon.

Yeah, if there are any teams with equal / equally bad results on day one, whichever of those teams gets the worst result on day two gets the spud.

I was about to suggest exactly the same thing. Would you two like jobs in the Hot Potato Association, the new third body in Scottish football?

That could result in 3-up-3-down which is surely too much in divisions of only 10-teams.

Good heavens, you could have 6 of 10 being promoted/relegated.

I agree......would like to see 2up/2down with a play off between 3rd top/3rd bottom but as part of a 14-14-14 set up.

Wages will be paid in potato products. You'll start on a salary of a King Edward a week when the season begins, with an end-of-season bonus of croquettes and chips based on your performance throughout the year. Employee of the month gets a bottle of vodka.

Should be 2 down and 1 automatic promotion and the teams finishing second and third playing off for the other promotion place.

Currently the SPFL have done nothing but pay lip service to lower leagues while protecting whatever meagre revenues they can by trying to keep so called "big" teams where they are

I disagree totally with the whole idea of play-offs. It's manufactured drama nothing else. In a league of 12 clubs relegating a second club is ridiculous. We have too few "big" clubs in our league, 5 by my reckoning, three of whom will be in the Championship next season. For our top division to have any credibility, we need our top teams playing there. For several seasons now, I have watched only Motherwells matches on TV, and occasional cup matches which p***k my interest. The truth is the SPFL is no contest, and the powers that be should be adressing that problem, not manufacturing drama to make us all avoid the obvious. Congratulations you have made an already ludicrous league even more ridiculous. Shameful.

Archived