Malaysia Airlines flight MH370

they had a problem turned round were knocked out by fumes or lack of oxygen and the autopilot kept on that course till fuel ran out....nothing mysterious about it.

why not report it first to alert people on the ground?

BTW - I'm not suggesting some sort of conspiracy from under a tin foil hat!

Which equates to 4 hours flying time after the last radar contact. Were it not for the transponder being switched off and the plane being turned West (IIRC) this would look like a sudden decompression which could mean the plane could fly on autopilot until the fuel ran out. See Helios Air Crash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

I understand about the 4 hour flying time/fuel range but I thought sudden decompression was discounted by some experienced pilot who stated that this was unlikely as oxygen would automatically be available?

Still wouldn't explain the transponder being switched off.....

The theory is that communications were knocked out in an electrical fire, the pilots set the autopilot in the direction of the nearest suitable airport and conked out. Thought these planes were supposed to be able to land themselves though. Is that a myth to reassure passengers when the pilot's obviously had a few?

The theory is that communications were knocked out in an electrical fire, the pilots set the autopilot in the direction of the nearest suitable airport and conked out. Thought these planes were supposed to be able to land themselves though. Is that a myth to reassure passengers when the pilot's obviously had a few?

I read about that......am sure they said that the transponder & radio wouldn't likely be the first to be knocked out by a fire.........hence would you not report the electrical fire & suggest your proposed course of action.

claim and counter claim I suppose......

I understand about the 4 hour flying time/fuel range but I thought sudden decompression was discounted by some experienced pilot who stated that this was unlikely as oxygen would automatically be available?

The passengers' oxygen only lasts 15 minutes, not sure about the pilots'. They say rationality goes quickly out the window when you're low on oxygen, so it's possible they didn't even realise what was happening and failed to put on their oxygen supply at all.

The passengers' oxygen only lasts 15 minutes, not sure about the pilots'. They say rationality goes quickly out the window when you're low on oxygen, so it's possible they didn't even realise what was happening and failed to put on their oxygen supply at all.

These are highly experienced, trained & intelligent pilots we are talking about though....not saying they are infallible (see Air France crash)......but for all the proposed sequence of events to occur without any form of communication seems to defy logic.

they were busy dealing with an emergency? It happens .

Communication with the ground isnt always straight forward on a plane its not justca mic switch.

Having recently been on one o they Boeing 777s I noticed great advancements in aviation technology as they now have tvs on the back o the seats in front instead of one bouncing from the roof 20 feet away above the aisle. So after watching ten minutes of The Hobbit I found a more interesting channel showing the flight path of the aircraft as well as it's speed and altitude. Surely one of these passengers would have thought Martin Freedman was a c**t and could have raised the alarm as they watched the wee yellow line head towards Antartica?

Having recently been on one o they Boeing 777s I noticed great advancements in aviation technology as they now have tvs on the back o the seats in front instead of one bouncing from the roof 20 feet away above the aisle. So after watching ten minutes of The Hobbit I found a more interesting channel showing the flight path of the aircraft as well as it's speed and altitude. Surely one of these passengers would have thought Martin Freedman was a c**t and could have raised the alarm as they watched the wee yellow line head towards Antartica?

They'd be watching Benny Hill. They still love old Benny out in China. It's how they would have wanted to go. 500 mph into the Indian Ocean to Benny Hill chasing Jackie Wright and Bob Todd about as the tune blasts out.

So..... They're now searching an area about 700 miles north from where all that debris picked up by satellites was seen.

Where had that debris in the southern Indian Ocean come from?

Has another plane gone down in that area and not been reported missing yet?