Malaysia Airlines flight MH370

Sanctions certainly aren't doing anything.

First it was South Ossetia and Abkhazia in Georgia, then it was The Crimea and now they're arming pro Russian separatists in Donetsk. So far the West has done the square root of zero about any of this.

Putin will keep pushing his luck until he's stopped. The West can either continue to let him encroach west into sovereign countries or they can stop him. Neither option is very appealing, but they'll have to pick one.

Send one more gun into the Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic and we should bomb Moscow imo.

People in the Lockerbie plane were still alive - after they hit the ground. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Lockerbie+10+Years+On%3A+The+dead+girl+still+had+tufts+of+grass+in+her...-a060628228

Just reading about those wee kids holding hands like that is heartbreaking, it's impossible to even imagine what seeing it would have felt like.

You can't really compare this with Lockerbie, large sections of the planes fuselage were still intact at Lockerbie where here there is absolutely nothing left except twisted smouldering metal.

There is parts of the plane still left intact like the wing section shown on the pictures on the news and similarly to Lockerbie there are people still strapped into their seats strewn around the fields.

BBC monitoring have also said tweets have been deleted by the rebels boasting about the fact that had got their hands on a batch of Russian SAM's.

Sure that won't stop the tinfoil wearing Putin fluffers from trying to attribute blame somewhere else.

Imagine the last moments of your life if you were in a plane accident. Scary.

You would hope that the missile came from directly underneath as well rather than at an angle. Imagine the terror of looking out your window and seeing a missile firing towards your plane? f**k that.

BBC monitoring have also said tweets have been deleted by the rebels boasting about the fact that had got their hands on a batch of Russian SAM's.

Sure that won't stop the tinfoil wearing Putin fluffers from trying to attribute blame somewhere else.

The kind of hardware you need to shoot down something flying at that altitude requires a lot of training and know-how. Whoever used it knew what they were doing (at least in terms of operating the kit, I doubt they deliberately targeted this airliner), which massively narrows down the list of suspects.

Edited by Uncle Psychosis

The kind of hardware you need to shoot down something flying at that altitude requires a lot of training and know-how. Whoever used it knew what they were doing (at least in terms of operating the kit, I doubt they deliberately targeted this airliner), which massively narrows down the list of suspects.

A report on the BBC last night suggested that another aircraft was probably the intended target but that the system locked onto the airliner.

isn't shooting down a unarmed civilian aircraft considered a war crime?

It's generally regarded as the "holy grail" of "terrorist" organisations. Remember that time they had tanks driving around Heathrow for a couple of days? It was because they had information that surface-to-air missiles (or whatever they are technically called) were going to be used. Ever since then this, even more than another 9/11 hijacking, has been the major fear and expectation of the security services. That said, after Nuremberg, there have been laws governing the following of illegal instructions. Whoever fired the shot is guilt of a war crime, certainly. Trouble is, they almost certainly weren't representative of any official state army.

The Yanks give you a purple heart award on return if you do it...

Pro-Russian rebels who've fucked up using the stuff they took off the Ukrainians?

They do indeed.

I wonder how "accidental" this all is though.

What do conspiracy theorist do with a case like this ... probably tell us it was mechanical failure :P

I've already seen zoomers link the Americans to it.

People in the Lockerbie plane were still alive - after they hit the ground. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Lockerbie+10+Years+On%3A+The+dead+girl+still+had+tufts+of+grass+in+her...-a060628228

After reading that article, wow :( I lament the fact that man died a free man.

As for Russia supplying Germany with gas, they've just signed the biggest trade deal in history to supply the Chinese with gas for the next 30 years. Germany will have the grand total of f**k all political leverage here.

Russia will do whatever it wants, and not a single thing can be done about it.

I've already seen zoomers link the Americans to it.

After reading that article, wow :( I lament the fact that man died a free man.

On the other hand, if he was guilty, the guy who told him to do it died with a twisty knife up his arse.

Am I the only one that thought this guy came across as a total dick?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28361872

He smirks and smiles his way through the whole interview.

Nope, I thought the same thing.

His missus might have been making references to a sky fairy and such like, but at least she had the good grace to seem upset by the whole situation. He came across as a bit of a throbber who was thinking that all his Christmases had come at once.

Edited by Drooper

A mixture of shock, relief and a tv camera in your face could make a few nice enough people look like dicks.

Hmm....

If he was struggling to maintain a dignified demeanour, he'd have been better to step out of shot.

If I fet the urge to laugh during a funeral, I'd take my leave. It isn't hard to do.

Edited by Drooper