UEFA International League of Nations

HibeeJibee

It's been approved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26762899

4 divisions of 14/15/16 nations each... In the top division at least play in 4 groups of 4 in Sep-Oct-Nov 2018, with 4 group winners in a Finals Tournament in June 2018... Promotion-relegation between divisions.

Euro 2020 qualifying then runs over 2019 (presumably in Mar-Jun-Sep-Oct-Nov). It will have 10 groups of 5/6 providing 20 qualifiers.

Then (presumably in March 2020) 4 top non-qualifiers from each of the "League of Nations" divisions play-off to become remaining 4 qualifiers :huh:.

EDIT: According to Stewart Regan in today's paper, the "League of Nations" will also have use inter-division play-offs for the World Cup - but only for the top 2 divisions (presumably 3 slots).

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how this is to be implemented.

I had an idea a few years ago to reinvigorate fixtures aside of qualifiers - 5 leagues across European countries, played over two years as a replacement for friendlies, say leagues of 10 - 18 fixtures. Fixtures played at all age groups, e.g senior side play a selection of the fixtures, u21s, u19s, u17s, even for a bit of interest over 33s. All results contributing to the overall league. With promotion and relegation. Those final league placing equating to ranking, to ensure they're taken seriously at all levels.

I never wrote in to UEFA...

By my reckoning, I think this is the format and timetable:

World Cup 2018 finals tournament - Russia 2018

June 2018

League of Nations 2018

4 divisions, each division split into 4? pools

September 2018 - 2 matches

October 2018 - 2 matches

November 2018 - 2 matches

Euro 2020 qualifying

10 groups, top 2 in each group qualify for Euro 2020

March 2019 - 2 matches

June 2019 - 2 matches ... also in June 2019, League of Nations Semi-Finals & Final

September 2019 - 2 matches

October 2019 - 2 matches

November 2019 - 2 matches

Euro 2020 playoffs

16 teams involved, top 4 from each League of Nations divisions who haven't qualified for Euro 2020

presumably 1 from each division in each draw, 1-legged ties, winners of each Final qualify for Euro 2020

March 2020 - Semi-Finals, Finals

Euro 2020 finals tournament

June 2020

I was correct about schedule:

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/organisation/congress/news/newsid=2079556.html#uefa+nations+league+receives+associations+green+light

My thoughts are as follows...

I like the introduction of more competitive games. I like the organising of the League of Nations in autumn 2018 and the Euro qualifiers across 2019. I like the League Semi-Finals & Final in June 2019, previously the 'dead' summer every 4yrs. I see the benefits in adjusting Euro qualifying so there's 10 groups with only top 2 qualifying.

I don't like the complete removal of friendlies (I don't spot any free dates?). I don't like the League of Nations having a role in deciding Euro or World Cup slots in this way. I don't see it being "easily explainable" to fans.

EDIT: One other thing is that, in the context of Euro 2020 not being held in any country, this could all feel very drawn-out. You play 6 League of Nations games... then 10 Euro qualifier games... Play-off SF & Final... Euro 2020 group in 1 nation... Last 16 in another... then QF... etc.

To be honest just sounds like another pointless tournament thrown in to stop fans and managers of club teams complaining about International Friendlies. It doesn't carry the prestige or glory of the Euros nor of the World Cup and I really don't see the big Nations caring that much about this tbh. As has been said, more likely it's just another excuse for some TV revenue which will come with top European Nations facing off against one another. It will be treated like friendlies by most really and I can't see it staying for more than a couple of tournaments.

On the bright side though, atleast we will qualify :thumsup2

On the bright side though, atleast we will qualify :thumsup2

And at least we will want to :lol:!!

Afterall - we cold-shouldered the first 3 World Cups, then refused to go to he 4th despite qualifying. We then cold-shouldered the first 2 European Nations Cups, too.

Friendlies are a good thing, especially if you want to try new players

I agree with this. If there were no friendlies to get players up to speed internationally, in my opinion, there would be next-to-no deviation from the same proven starting 11 and bench each game. Looking at England, I doubt players like Lallana would have gotten a chance, and for us I doubt the likes of Andrew Robertson would be capped if there were no International Friendlies. That's why I think certain Nations will just use this tournament as a way of playing a second string XI or reserves to see if any players would be likely to make it into their respective World Cup/Euros squads.

Think this is a good move. Seems like they've over-complicated it a touch by dragging EC qualification into the mix though.

Friendlies are shite anyway, would rather go to see a competitive match than a doing off Italy or France's second string. Will also be useful for monitoring progression of the team.

So does this "tournament" mean you will only be able to play teams in and around your own level?

If so, how's that going to attract the crowds?

There will still be the existing World Cup and Euros qualifying every 2yrs - with groups of 5/6 drawn from the whole membership. But there will also be this 'league' competition every other autumn.

Basically it replaces friendlies. Instead of having played Australia, Luxembourg, Estonia, England, USA, Norway and Poland over last 2yrs we'd have played 6 matches in the "League of Nations".

For example... let's imagine this system was starting this year, not in 4yrs time.

Going by current UEFA coeffients we'd start our League of Nations history in Division 2. We'd be drawn in a pool of 4 countries*.

(*Lets say with Hungary, Israel and Romania).

This coming autumn we'd play our opening League of Nations campaign.

Win our pool and we're promoted to Division 1 come autumn 2016's edition. Finish bottom of our pool and we're relegated to Division 3.

Then, over the course of 2015 we'd play our Euro 2016 qualifiers against Germany, Poland, Eire, Georgia, & Gibraltar.

Finish top 2 and we qualify for Euro 2016. However, even if not, a good League of Nations finish could mean we had a shot at a play-off*.

(*If we ended-up 1 of the 4 best non-qualifiers in Division 2 we'd play-off against equivalents from Divisions 1, 3 & 4 in March 2020).

I reckon that the split of the divisions might be something like:

Division 1 - 12 teams

Division 2 - 12 teams

Division 3 - 14 teams

Division 4 - 16 teams

That would give a couple of free friendly dates for each nation in the top two divisions, allowing them to play a non-UEFA member on those dates. The bottom tier will definitely have 16 teams, based on the UEFA website, which says "lower-tier nations − the bottom 16 in rankings − are now guaranteed one of the 24 qualifying slots for UEFA EURO."

I hadn't spotted that last bit. So the March 2020 play-offs will actually be 1 slot for each of the 4 divisions? If so that's absolutely ridiculous. It would be like the number of Europa League places being increased and giving 1 each to the Scottish Championship, League 1 and League 2!! Really dislike that.

There's a similar precedent in Asia, where the winners of the AFC Challenge Cup (a tournament for diddy nations) are given a qualification berth for the AFC Asian Cup. I guess you could argue it's about helping developing nations to get a chance of experiencing a major tournament. In reality, it's presumably a compromise aimed at ensuring that the tournament will still be meaningful at the lower ends.

I'm interested in what would happen with the play-off spot for the top group if every team (or nearly every team) from that section qualified via the traditional qualifying group. If there was only one unqualified side, would they automatically get a spot at the tournament anyway? Or would they have to play off against someone from a lower group?

I also like the Asian way of doing things, AFC Challenge cup last won by India I think? They qualified and were humped in the tournament but scored 2 or maybe 3 goals. I think the bottom 8 teams (Luxembourg, Cyprus, Kazakhstan, Malta, Liechtenstein, Faroe Islands, Andorra, San Marino) should play in a UEFA Challenge Cup type of thing, with the winner earning a berth in the Euros, that would however probably increase their ranking and bring them out of that diddy 8 preventing them from doing the same again. I am also a fan of Asia's format of having East Asia, West Asia, South Asia Cups etc, although in that were to happen most of the competition would be in the UEFA West Asian cup, with Scotland unfortunately being fecked

What us the actual breakdown of the playoffs scheduled for the March prior to Euro2020?? The next four sides in EACH duvision who havent qualified, would as it looks to me give the small 5/6 team division spots at this stage.....if, as HJ has outlined, 16 non qualifiers whittling down to four via one off matches are coming from the 4 next teams in each division.. With 20 qualifying via the established route, and almost certainly no less than one or two of the top division failing to make it, wherr does this leave that figure?? The promotion/relegation factor may also play silly buggers with World Cup places being offered via the same route....on the off chance a team gets promoted to the top tier the same year five or six big guns flop in regular qualifying, thry may find themselves out on their arse rather unfairly. The idea is good....the qualifying for World Cups and Euros, and the timing not so. Blocks of fixtures together is asking for the tournament to flop....the groups could end up a bit laborious.....why not have the groups of four playing in a semis n final format in the November and February (one off games) with your Finals in the June.

Oops. I was still under the impresion the 16x3 6x1 format was to be used. Disregard the 5/6 team group...but it still means one if them gets a spot. Which to be fair playing among themselves is fine. Thought theyd be in the pot with the big guns....which would be a waste of everyones time.

What us the actual breakdown of the playoffs scheduled for the March prior to Euro2020?? The next four sides in EACH duvision who havent qualified, would as it looks to me give the small 5/6 team division spots at this stage.....if, as HJ has outlined, 16 non qualifiers whittling down to four via one off matches are coming from the 4 next teams in each division.. With 20 qualifying via the established route, and almost certainly no less than one or two of the top division failing to make it, wherr does this leave that figure??

Certainly there will be 10 groups of 5/6 nations each in both World Cup and Euro qualifying. Winners qualify for World Cup; top 2 for Euros.

Not clear what happens with the 3 remaining WC slots, but we know there are 4 for the next Euros.

Initially I thought the implied system was as follows:

* 4 best non-qualifiers from all Divisions 1-4 go into an overall play-off system, SFs no doubt seeded 1v4 + 2v3 , in March 2020

* 4 sets of Semi-Finals & Finals

* my guess was 1 country would host each set, with Semi-Finals on Thu/Fri/Sat and Final on Sun/Mon/Tue, the winner of the Final qualifying

However it seems the system is actually as follows:

* 4 best non-qualifiers in each Division hold seperate Divisional play-offs, in March 2020

* so 1 set of Semi-Finals & Finals per Division

* so some nation from Division 2, Division 3 and Division 4 all guaranteed to qualify

I just think that's unfair, there should not be finals slots ringfenced for the worse countries.

Some countries could actually be best served by getting relegated... easier being a big fish in Division 4 than a small fish in Division 3.

It's also messy... League played before Euro qualifiers are known, there'll be hosts (after 2020), and some groups will only have 3 teams.

Archived