UEFA International League of Nations

HibeeJibee

UEFA are set to announce a new International League of Nations, commencing in 2019. It will use dates previously set aside for friendlies.

Countries will be split into 4 levels of 14. (Presumably each split into 2 groups of 7 or something? Maybe just playing home-or-away?).

Semi-Finals & Final at the end of each edition... promotion/relegation between levels.

WC & Euros qualifying slots currently decided via play-offs would be transferred to the League.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26747394

Not a fan of this myself. I'm not against new competitions/formats but this seems a bizarre concept.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think it sounds quite interesting. Would need to hear more details about it as that article doesn't really provide much but unless they come up with a really ridiculous way of dishing out the qualifying spots it can't be that bad a thing can it? Anything that replaces friendlies has to be a good thing?

Surely it's bad for us - how often will we reach the top division?

If I'm understanding it correctly, take the World Cup for example, only the group winners of the actual World Cup qualifying would qualify.

What are currently available as 4 play-off spots would then go to the 4 best "League of Nations" finishers?

I'm not adverse to the idea of a league, but giving it slots while retaining seperate qualifying competitions too seems odd.

Format-wise, is it perhaps something like this:

Jun 2018 - World Cup Russia

Sep-Oct-Nov 2018

Mar-Jun 2019

= Euro 2020 qualifiers

Sep-Oct-Nov 2019

Mar 2020

= League of Nations

Jun 2020 = Euros

If it means literally 1 competition "per calendar year" that doesn't add-up, though.

Forgive me for being cynical, but will this be just another competition for TV; part of the tug-of-war for fitba dominance between UEFA and FIFA?

I've stood / sat through innumerable pish Scotland friendlies, but I can see why they have some merit for managers who want to try out new players without taking a wee risk in competitive matches.

Plus, it looks like something designed to have the "top" teams play against each other in an endless loop. Just like the Champions League in fact...............

Surely it's bad for us - how often will we reach the top division?

If I'm understanding it correctly, take the World Cup for example, only the group winners of the actual World Cup qualifying would qualify.

What are currently distributed as 4 play-off spots would then go to the "League of Nations"?

Outside the 9 or 10 teams I'd say most nations probably go through spells of being good and bad. I'm sure the Smith/McLeish team would have made it into the top division for instance.

The only downside I could really see to this is that it would remove our best chance of qualifying for the World Cup through the actual qualifying group.

whit?

Would i be right in thinking that for example france portugal italy england bosnia scotland iceland and serbia all finish second in the qualifying group that the first 4 all qualify by dint of being the highest in the world league even if france lost every game that year and were bottom of league 1 and iceland won every game finishing top of league 2?

Is this just another way of ensuring the top seeds qualify and we dont go through the trauma of a france, italy or netherlands not qualifying again?

I'm cautiously positive about this because I'd rather have some form of competitive football than friendlies. There's also the chance to win some sort of trophy, even if it's the Nations League 2nd tier Division B final or whatever it's called.

It'll all depend on the format though - it's hard to work out exactly how this could be used to help with qualification for major tournaments.

I see the Telegraph is reporting slightly different details regarding this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10722834/England-ready-to-play-in-new-Nations-League-as-revolutionary-Uefa-plan-earns-unanimous-backing.html

They say 3 divisions of 16... no idea what happens to the remaing 6-8 nations!!... played in a Champions League format of 4 groups of 4, followed by the Semi-Finals and Final which would be played in June 2019, 2021 and so on. (Not sure what happens if a Semi-Finalist playing at the Confederations Cup).

They also seem to imply it would be mixed-up among World Cup and Euro qualifer dates.

And that for the Euros, winners of lower divisions could qualify for the finals. That's completely nuts (like giving the winners of lower club divisions European slots) - you're better being a "big fish" in a lower division than vice versa.

Why do they have to take what could be a pretty good idea and then ruin it by adding all these odd stipulations? Now i Know at the moment that it's paper talk, and nothing has been confirmed, but even mentioning that these tournaments have any bearing over the actual qualifying for tournaments is ridiculous.

The idea itself is good - anything to make friendlies mean something, and increase interest is a good thing, But it should just be a tournament for pride, there is absolutely no way that it should matter at all to the competitive matches.

Like many others on here, I like the concept, but think it should have nothing to do with World Cup/Euro Qualification.

I'd like to see a format roughly as follows...

LEAGUE OF NATIONS PREMIER DIVISION.

Four groups of four, playing each team home and away.

Play-offs: Group Winners drawn (randomly) to play at home to Group Runners-Up. Winners progress to the Semi-Finals, which are held over two legs. Final held over one leg at a neutral venue.

Teams finishing third in the Group don't have any play-off matches.

Teams finishing bottom in the Group play-off over two legs with the two losers relegated to Division One.

DIVISION ONE.

Basically the same format as the Premier Division but with both the Finalists gaining promotion to Premier Division. The two bottom-place play-off losers are relegated to Division Two.

DIVISION TWO.

Again, basically the same with the two Finalists promoted to Division One and the two bottom-place losers relegated to the Developing Nations Division.

DEVELOPING NATIONS DVISION.

One group of six teams, playing each team once. In the first edition, the three highest-ranked teams would have the advantage of playing three home and two away games. The three lowest-ranked would play two at home and three away. From the second edition onwards, the team with the disadvantage of playing an extra away game would be those who finished in the bottom three in the previous tournament.

The Group Winners would progress automatically to the Final.

The Group Runners-Up would play-off at home to the Group Third Place-finishing team for the other Final place.

Both Finalists would be promoted to Division Two. As there is likely to be very little interest among neutrals, this Final would be held over two legs, rather than at a neutral venue.

Based on the most-recent UEFA rankings I could find, here is what the initial groups might look like...

PREMIER DIVISION

GROUP A

Italy

England

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Switzerland

GROUP B

Spain

Russia

Croatia

Sweden

GROUP C

Netherlands

Greece

Ukraine

Denmark

GROUP D

Germany

Portugal

France

Belgium

DIVISION ONE

GROUP A

Hungary

Norway

Austria

Montenegro

GROUP B

Czech Republic

Israel

Poland

Finland

GROUP C

Serbia

Slovenia

Romania

Scotland

GROUP D

Ireland

Turkey

Slovakia

Armenia

DIVISION TWO

GROUP A

Latvia

Albania

Macedonia

Kazakhstan

GROUP B

Bulgaria

Iceland

Moldova

Georgia

GROUP C

Estonia

Belarus

Lithuania

Luxembourg

GROUP D

Wales

Northern Ireland

Azerbaijan

Cyprus

DEVELOPING NATIONS DIVISION (teams with a * after them play three home and two away matches, the others play two home and three away)

Liechtenstein*

Faroe Islands*

Malta*

Andorra

San Marino

Gibraltar

Typically tough Group for Scotland, but interesting. I could honestly imagine Scotland finishing top or bottom of that so at least it would be likely to be a competitive format with few meaningless matches towards the end of the campaign.

Another advantage of this is that it seems like the sort of thing that will have the usual foaming at the mouth types raging without really knowing why they're raging.

UEFA MONEY BAD AMF PLATINI TV SCUM BLATTER DIVING TV TECHNOLOGY RAGING

The last League of Nations was such a roaring success, I can see why they chose it again. Another exercise in pointlessness from the token dross level that is international football - it's thankfully coming to the point in the near future where major European clubs will boot international tournament organisers in the stones and end this nonsense.

Scrap international football; it's fucking shit.

Equally, if that was the criteria used to determine suitability there would only be about four or five club teams left across the globe.

I think it'll be great for the real diddy teams who are used to getting pumped all the time in qualifiers, The chance to play against other sides of their stature on a regular basis will at least provide some competitive games that the likes of San Marino, Malta and Northern Ireland can go into hoping to take something.

The last League of Nations was such a roaring success, I can see why they chose it again. Another exercise in pointlessness from the token dross level that is international football - it's thankfully coming to the point in the near future where major European clubs will boot international tournament organisers in the stones and end this nonsense.

I blame the Manchurians!

Archived