The Alloa Athletic Thread

21 hours ago, whereismillar said:

Found this pic of Alloa FC from the 80,s i think, what a team, I remember most of them , davie lloyd was one ,good striker !!

anyone else recognise any players  ?

19841985-alloa-team-back-row-l-to-r-paul-kelly-graeme-shearer-robert-BJKYD5.jpg

1984/1985 Alloa team Back row (l to r): Paul Kelly, Graeme Shearer, Robert Dall, Ronald Lowerie, David Martin, Robert Barr, David Lloyd Front row (l to r): Robert Harris, Gary Thompson, Kenny Thomson, Larry Haggart, Stuart Sorbie, Gary Murray

Why have Alloa faded so much this season? Was losing Ross to St Mirren that bad?

You're closer to the relegation playoffs than us and the same distance as automatic relegation

IMO yes.

13 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Why have Alloa faded so much this season? Was losing Ross to St Mirren that bad?

You're closer to the relegation playoffs than us and the same distance as automatic relegation

Look at the results. 6 draws = 12 points dropped. Certainly from the games I've seen Alloa have had enough to win all their home draws but the goals just aren't coming as easily as the start of the season I don't think performances have dropped massively.

Maybe tired legs already since we've already been to two quarter-finals in the cups.

15 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I believe the job that Jack Ross did was superb and that his departure was a massive blow to Alloa. He put together a very good squad and got them playing a formation and style that suited their talents. More than that, his man management skills were (IMO) crucial. That was a team absolutely brimming with confidence and loving their football. There are guys there who fans of previous clubs said were talented but perhaps inconsisent. They looked like world beaters every week under Ross at Alloa. Others who have been plagued by injuries were playing every week. Not entirely a coincidence IMO with confidence and feel good factor. 

Was it 10 wins in a row? Two top flight teams beaten. They held Celtic at 0-0 at Parkhead for 83 minutes and came off feeling they had missed a chance to beat them. His last game, Bala away, was exhibition stuff. I don't think you can reasonably say that performances haven't dipped pretty dramatically. 

Now, that form wasn't going to be sustainable even under Ross. There were very few injuries in that run, and they were always going to come. Flannigan in particular is a massive influence in terms of creativity. He has missed both games against Livingston. Team becomes way too predictable without him. If you take the loss of an inspirational manager, add in a few key injuries and a new manager who is learning the trade and trying to balance it with playing, then I don't think it's a massive surprise that form has dropped off badly. That massive confidence is no longer there, guys who were slamming in magnificent goals are currentlly sclaffing their shots wide. 

The main thing for me now is to hang in, hopefully strengthen a wee bit in January, and aim to get on a run again and build the thing back up. The team are still working hard and pulling together and the talent is there. The aim now is really the play-offs though, whereas under Jack Ross I reckon the title was more likely.

Edited by Waspie

4 hours ago, Waspy said:

Have you jumped ship?

No, I just help out now and then when they have some heavy lifting that needs done. Walked in yesterday morning and found that shirt waiting for me in the gents section  :D

2 hours ago, Waspie said:

I believe the job that Jack Ross did was superb and that his departure was a massive blow to Alloa. He put together a very good squad and got them playing a formation and style that suited their talents. More than that, his man management skills were (IMO) crucial. That was a team absolutely brimming with confidence and loving their football. There are guys there who fans of previous clubs said were talented but perhaps inconsisent. They looked like world beaters every week under Ross at Alloa. Others who have been plagued by injuries were playing every week. Not entirely a coincidence IMO with confidence and feel good factor. 

Was it 10 wins in a row? Two top flight teams beaten. They held Celtic at 0-0 at Parkhead for 83 minutes and came off feeling they had missed a chance to beat them. His last game, Bala away, was exhibition stuff. I don't think you can reasonably say that performances haven't dipped pretty dramatically. 

Now, that form wasn't going to be sustainable even under Ross. There were very few injuries in that run, and they were always going to come. Flannigan in particular is a massive influence in terms of creativity. He has missed both games against Livingston. Team becomes way too predictable without him. If you take the loss of an inspirational manager, add in a few key injuries and a new manager who is learning the trade and trying to balance it with playing, then I don't think it's a massive surprise that form has dropped off badly. That massive confidence is no longer there, guys who were slamming in magnificent goals are currentlly sclaffing their shots wide. 

The main thing for me now is to hang in, hopefully strengthen a wee bit in January, and aim to get on a run again and build the thing back up. The team are still working hard and pulling together and the talent is there. The aim now is really the play-offs though, whereas under Jack Ross I reckon the title was more likely.

pretty much nailed it there ! I believe we will go onto a good vein of form again soon though  , other teams will have thier peaks and dips its a tight and unpredictable league!

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 14:54, Waspy said:

IMO yes.

You had hit a wee decline before he left though, drawing with Stenny and losing to Airdrie, and losing to Livi a couple of games earlier. Or was his head thinking about the St Mirren job and not fully on Alloa? 

Some start to the season though, Alloa set the pace for Livi and Brechin to try and stay with them.

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

You had hit a wee decline before he left though, drawing with Stenny and losing to Airdrie, and losing to Livi a couple of games earlier. Or was his head thinking about the St Mirren job and not fully on Alloa? 

Some start to the season though, Alloa set the pace for Livi and Brechin to try and stay with them.

You could argue that the decline set in there. Personally I'd argue unique circumstances for each of those games and I wouldn't compare it to the post Ross results. All irrelevant now anyway, onwards and upwards (hopefully ;)).

We've only lost to the top 2 in the league- Livi and Airdrie. Not ideal for league winning aspirations but doesn't indicate tumbling down the table.

Key problem recently as mentioned is going behind too often in games. I believe in games where we have taken the lead the only time we haven't won this season is when we surrendered a two goal lead at Ochilview against Stenny. Very fixable, but important to get that winning habit back quickly. 

Our overall levels have dropped in the last 4/6 weeks imo 

We need someone in to partner Greg up front am happy with a play off spot we just need to make sure we get it 

The Gaffer this said in his interview he's working hard to get players in but only players who fit into the current Squad 

We are 2 points off 2nd place yes we need to get away from the Draw syndrome and turn them into wins 

But mind Livingston And Airdrie are full time .