The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Any news your end of Hetherington moving to Falkirk? What type of player should we expect if true?

If the rumours are true about peter grant getting touted for the falkirk  job and gets  it  then I don't think  hetherington will end up at falkirk, perhaps the manager was the reason he was looking to move on,  wholehearted player who you would class as the ball winner but he has more to his game than just that 

15 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Is he mobile and able to go box to box? Daft question but in our league 1 experience I’ve found that the pace of the game is a bit frantic. I know they play different positions but Tidser who wasn’t the greatest at getting around the park really struggled with jobbers all over him. 
I can’t promise we won’t ruin him, it’s what we do best.

Stevie is the definition of frantic at times. No doubting his ability, fantastic player. However, there hasn’t been a game that is too hectic for him! 🤣

21 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Is he mobile and able to go box to box? Daft question but in our league 1 experience I’ve found that the pace of the game is a bit frantic. I know they play different positions but Tidser, who wasn’t the greatest at getting around the park, really struggled with jobbers all over him. 

Hes an anchorman who does the dirty work in the trenches. Will cover the full backs and other midfielders when they go forward. Far better technically though than hes given credit for.

2 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Big fan of Lucas Williamson. Like Father Barry says, he’s just grown so much this season. Such an improvement to that chaotic (for the team) debut in the Stenny game. The goal too against Ayr just gave him such a confidence booster to really take the game to teams. Going forward, League One is going to be a lot better for him with much more freedom. He’s clearly a player who wants to go forward, think he’s played a lot further forward in the reserves. His defensive positioning has improved too over the piece too. Aided by the fact he’s normally played in a back 5 and had Liam Dick protecting him and him and Andy talking him through the game. Fear too that he hasn’t gone unnoticed. Kinda blew up after that screamer Vs Ayr.

O’Donnell is one who I think could play a little bit more next season. I didn’t agree with some claims that he should have played more than he did this season. He did well in spells but he has a lot to learn. Technically though, very good. Think he’ll be given the opportunity to kick on next season and definitely good enough to take it. Be an interesting one. Could go either way. Hopefully not the Adam Martin way. 

No idea about Liam Evans. Up top is an area we need to strengthen this season as I don’t expect any of Inness Cameron, Liam Buchanan or Robert Thomson to return. So let’s see where he is in the pecking order when a new manager signs a whole new frontline!

I'd resign all 3. Williamson and O'Donnell have massive potential, especially in league 1.  Williamson played 9 games, not bad for a17 year old, we've not had that young a player for years, Sheerin??

O'Donnell deserved a far greater amount than the 4 he got. I fear Grant and Hetherington were what halted his progress.

Don't know much about Evans but if he loses the man bun he'll be in with a shout!🤣

2 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

O’Donnell is one who I think could play a little bit more next season. I didn’t agree with some claims that he should have played more than he did this season. He did well in spells but he has a lot to learn.

Yep, agree with this. It's the most natural thing in the world that fans want to see youngsters come through the ranks. But although he did well, he simply wasnt a more consistent option at this stage than Trouten and Scougall (understandably way ahead of him) or even Innes Murray and Ray Grant.

He probably exceeded expectations this season and really hope he progresses. But couldn't understand the outrage from some that he wasnt starting every week.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

32 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Is he mobile and able to go box to box? Daft question but in our league 1 experience I’ve found that the pace of the game is a bit frantic. I know they play different positions but Tidser, who wasn’t the greatest at getting around the park, really struggled with jobbers all over him. 

He'd stroll into the Falkirk team and drive everyone round about him in the same way. Provided there is not someone else there trying to do the same job................

17 minutes ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Don't know much about Evans but if he loses the man bun he'll be in with a shout!🤣

Last time I saw him he was cutting about with a baldy, so we’re halfway there!

Edited by KierenAAFC

1 hour ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

I'd resign all 3. Williamson and O'Donnell have massive potential, especially in league 1.  Williamson played 9 games, not bad for a17 year old, we've not had that young a player for years, Sheerin??

O'Donnell deserved a far greater amount than the 4 he got. I fear Grant and Hetherington were what halted his progress.

Greig Spence played pretty regularly prior to his Celtic move at 16/17. But definitely Sheerin other than that 

1 hour ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Good amount of games for a 17 year old in the Championship! Interesting to see where he ends up...

Liam Buchanan signed a pre-contract with Cowdenbeath. No surprises. Been a good player for us. Was past it this season but still contributed a few goals and could see the influence he had on the squad. Best for both parties he moves on though.

Only a few weeks ago during a pre match warm up Buchs was running the session and berated Jamieson for getting the drill wrong, telling him "you've been at the club long enough Nicky"

A true pro who always gives 100% commitment and still good for a goal or two. Didnt expect him to stay but hope he finishes his career strongly at Cowdenbeath.

Always felt it was unfortunate for Buchs that Jim Goodwin departed shortly after signing him. Was mentioned that Goody had been after him previously and you'd suspect he'd have had a clear plan on how he was going to fit into the team and who would work well with him. Ultimately ended up often getting rotated with Thommo as lone striker without as much support as perhaps he'd have liked. Scored some absolutely iconic Alloa goals in his first spell and although second time around was tougher there were some good moments there, a lovely composed finish at Inverness last season stands out and when we needed a goal at QoS a few weeks back he came up with the goods once more. Hope he gets regular games at Cowden and with the right role and service he can score plenty in League 2.

16 hours ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

He'll go to Cove.......surprised if he ends up at Falkirk.

Maybe depend on which league Cove end up in after the play offs. How does he compare to Ray Grant as from how you've described him he seems to be exactly how I'd say Grant was last season with Clyde.

On 06/05/2021 at 21:08, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Greig Spence played pretty regularly prior to his Celtic move at 16/17. But definitely Sheerin other than that 

Add John Grant to that list. Was a pity he never progressed the way we hoped he would as he looked the part when he first got in the team.

Hope the question is at least asked of Sam Roscoe. No secret that it was in January so that bodes well. Surprised at how it has ended up for him since leaving Alloa, thought he'd really kick on. Interviews show that he thinks really highly of Andy Graham so let's hope this maybe plays a part! A drop to PT, familar territory and regular football could do him the world of good.