The Alloa Athletic Thread

How many of those 20 goals were penalties? Another of his weaknesses that he needs to work on is his scoring rate when through on the goalkeeper - he never scores.

I'm not suggesting that Spence is a fantastic striker but the suggestion that he is "nowhere near good enough for this level" strikes me as being a little ridiculous given he has 20 goals in 36 starts for Raith and previously did ok for Hamilton. Our forward options last year were grim (our top scoring striker got 6) and in light of that, and the market that Alloa operate in, I reckon Spence would be worth a punt. We already know that the raw talent is there and he is still young.

Interesting that his ability when through on goal is now flagged up as a weakness, when he broke through at Alloa he was noted for his composure in such situations. The wonders of full-time football :P .

Spence needs a suitable partner up top as well as a regular run out in a team. He missed an open goal against Annan in our Ramsdens Cup semi final and to me this is when his confidence started to go downhill last season. I still have this feeling he'll resign for us unless Murray has alternative striker options lined up. We only have one 'official' striker signed at the moment.

Spence reminds me a lot of yon Lewis Coult who used to play for Cowden. Obsessed with living the footballers lifstyle and partaking in every footballer cliche activity going without having the football career to match it.

Always thought he showed some potential but by all accounts was hopeless last season. If he could ditch all the #nandos #Ibiza #inked #newwheels shite and concentrate on the actual football part of being a footballer he may come good again.

Nail on the head here.

This is his biggest problem. He was adored by sections of our fans when he wasn't getting a game despite the fact he'd done f**k all for months. His interest seemed to lie more with where he was going on a Saturday night than how he was actually doing on the pitch. He's got a lot of potential if he could get his head together. Someone was saying on fantalk he was off playing 7s at Dalgety Bay with his mates every week until the club found out. Similarly, he was forever banging on about who he'd have on his coupon right before the Ian Black/Michael Moffat betting shenanigans.

He might come back to us. He might go elsewhere and be happier and get more first team football. But I genuinely couldn't care less about the boy anymore. He's had plenty of chances to put pen to paper but went off on another holiday with his mates before giving us an answer. He's more interested in going away for a bevvy with his mates. The ironic thing is you've got loads of folk on the Rovers facebook page slagging Nade as a shite player, despite him making loads of effort to improve himself in the last year.

Spence reminds me a lot of yon Lewis Coult who used to play for Cowden. Obsessed with living the footballers lifstyle and partaking in every footballer cliche activity going whilst being rancid at the actual football part.

Fixed that.

Really thought Spence would kick on for us, after Graham left but he never really did. Good movement and good industry, but very lightweight - nto great as the focal point of an attack, needs players doing a power of work alongside him I think and his composure wasn't great. Lost count of the number of 1 on 1s he's missed for us over the last two years. No doubt will never miss one against us, mind.

Edited by renton

If its a part time deal then it suits him.. Lazy trainer, and loves a game of 7 a side in the dalgety bay 7s league on a sunday night.

All players at Alloa are on part time deals, think he is a good signing for Alloa and from when he was at Alloa before I can't see how he could have went so downhill so quickly but Raith Rovers fans don't seem to rate him

Good signing was he Raiths top scorer last season !!!!!!

... and regular penalty taker. Course, you have to score the fucking things, but think he got 4 penalties so fully a third of his goals were from spot kicks.

Welcome back to the boy wonder. I'm very happy with this signing. Spence might well be coming off an underwhelming season with Raith but he is hardly alone in that respect. With the players Raith had they should have done much better and that suggests a wider issue than Spency spending too much time in Nandos. We know that Greig can score goals and at 21 he still has time on his side.

Of course there is an element of risk involved but that's the market we are in. If he had played every week last season and scored 20 goals then we wouldn't have had a chance of getting him. The ability is there and it's down to Alloa to make sure he performs.

Another striker, ideally a target man, is still required but I think our options in attack are already better than last season.