The Alloa Athletic Thread

And I think you've just watched him for one season in a team that was getting pumped most weeks and don't realise how decent a left back he actually is, especially in the division were in. ;)

The mask is slipping mate. Playing Rangers/Hibs/Falkirk and playing Montrose and the Shire are very different.

Yes because Arbroath offered him big bucks, otherwise he would have stayed. It's hardly caused a black tie day in Alloa, and hope he does well.

Big Bucks... Settle. Probably would've been a better offer than what you were offering but it certainly won't be big bucks. There'll be more reasons than money. DC would've sold the gig to him very well I imagine, after a year of being part of a team that's really struggled for a season maybe he fancied a change and seen what DC was trying to do? I'm not suggesting it's a black tie day either???

Alloa have done all the PT clubs proud the last couple of year. Mulraney has ran the place superbly well. I'm sure you'll continue to have good years in front of you while he's there. We're all just happy to see the return of a player who was very good for us and very popular.

That is all.

The mask is slipping mate. Playing Rangers/Hibs/Falkirk and playing Montrose and the Shire are very different.

Bit pointless. Obviously.

I've just spent a year watching us getting pumped from League 2 teams after Lumsdens disaster. Never mind the teams you mention plus you're other FT clubs. No mask involved.

See the post I just made.

Aye you are probably right Wilky, Meggart was a hard act to follow and Hamilton did improve as the season went on but i think League 1 and 2 will prove to be his level. Lets hope Lewis Wilson gets a chance although as you would expect JR will be looking to bring in another left back for some competition.

I'd imagine he would but it may be a struggle because Hamilton seemed really keen to stay so I think JR may have been expecting Hamilton with Wilson back up. Now it may be a mad rush to find a replacement. Then again there might have been a backup that Jack Ross had planned if, as has happened, one of them left.

And I think you've just watched him for one season in a team that was getting pumped most weeks and don't realise how decent a left back he actually is, especially in the division were in. ;)

I dont think you could say we were getting pumped most weeks, yes we were losing games but for a part time team most weeks we competed against pretty strong full time teams and making a game of it more often than not.

Hamilton is a decent player but fans i have spoken to were 50/50 on offering him a new deal in the first place, yes he would probably have done a job for us next season hence the offer of a new contract but no matter what anyone says money talks and he has obviously been offered more by Arbroath which is fair enough..........he aint no Roberto Carlos though :lol:

As we've already mentioned, from speaking to him myself at fair length and from others who have spoke to him- he was very keen to stay at Alloa. I didn't get the impression he was anything less than 100% genuine. I would imagine he got a substantially better offer from Arbroath based on this, but then our offer probably wasn't all that great to begin with. I don't think he was on a great wage at Alloa, and it was more the opportunity to play in the Championship which enticed him initially.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Like I said on the Arbroath thread what do you expect an Alloa player who will most likely be getting offered a new contract by the club, to be saying to Alloa fans and an Alloa paper?

'Aye I probably will get offered a contract but I dunno if I'll take it need to see what else comes up' ?

Like I said on the Arbroath thread what do you expect an Alloa player who will most likely be getting offered a new contract by the club, to be saying to Alloa fans and an Alloa paper?

'Aye I probably will get offered a contract but I dunno if I'll take it need to see what else comes up' ?

the thing in this case it was more along the lines of "I hope I get offered a contract, I love it here, i'll be the first to sign up."

I'm sure we will all move on and not lose too much sleep over it anyway. I'm just delighted to have Hamilton join our squad for next year. Was a favourite here and helps us strengthen big time.

Sure Alloa will go on to have a good season under Ross and enjoy watching their team more again too. Hopefully a good season in store for both clubs.

Scored a couple of important (at the time) goals for us and as some have said, he came onto more of a game in the post-Christmas period of the season. However, I'm in the 'glad he's left' camp and if Arbroath fans are just as happy to have him then it's a win-win as far as I'm concerned. He has in my opinion a very awkward running style which makes him slower than you feel he could actually be. He is quite lightweight in both a physical presence and with kicking (clearances) in general and his positioning wasn't all that great either. A fit Marr and a fit Flannigan are much more important to us I reckon and if Gallacher does end up with us then we've got a great base to build on. Happy that Cawley is back too, reckon he'll come out all guns blazing after such a seemingly poor season away from the club.

Scored a couple of important (at the time) goals for us and as some have said, he came onto more of a game in the post-Christmas period of the season. However, I'm in the 'glad he's left' camp and if Arbroath fans are just as happy to have him then it's a win-win as far as I'm concerned. He has in my opinion a very awkward running style which makes him slower than you feel he could actually be. He is quite lightweight in both a physical presence and with kicking (clearances) in general and his positioning wasn't all that great either. A fit Marr and a fit Flannigan are much more important to us I reckon and if Gallacher does end up with us then we've got a great base to build on. Happy that Cawley is back too, reckon he'll come out all guns blazing after such a seemingly poor season away from the club.

I really hope Cawley has a good season with you. I really wanted to like him but he was just too hopeless.

He was played out wide quite a lot but that is no excuse for his dreadful ball retention. He had a couple of good games but even in them his pass success rate must have been about 50%. I was always hoping his next game would be when he turned the corner but it never came. I've never seen a player give possession away so much in my puff, massively disappointing. Our manager described the decision to let him go as a hard one but he was on my 'chop' list and for me it was the correct decision.

Was he poor in that sense previous to joining us? I always thought he looked a handy enough player at Alloa but never watched him closely enough to work out if he gave the ball away a hell of a lot.

Like I said I hope he does the business for you, seems like a hard working player who was possibly just unlucky at us.

He was a little terrier with us and actually won the ball back for us quite a lot, always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Lost possession several times too but his regaining of possession always seemed to be the higher percentage of the two and as he was running at players and trying to create openings for himself or others then losing the ball was always a possibility we were willing to put up with anyway. Playing him out wide would mean he would always have the same player to beat who would cotton on to his traits I'd imagine whereas he has more freedom through the middle to take the ball in the direction he'd feel he'd get more success from. We'll let you know where JR. plays him.

He was a little terrier with us and actually won the ball back for us quite a lot, always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Lost possession several times too but his regaining of possession always seemed to be the higher percentage of the two and as he was running at players and trying to create openings for himself or others then losing the ball was always a possibility we were willing to put up with anyway. Playing him out wide would mean he would always have the same player to beat who would cotton on to his traits I'd imagine whereas he has more freedom through the middle to take the ball in the direction he'd feel he'd get more success from. We'll let you know where JR. plays him.

To be fair he did get a couple of chances through the middle and the ball retention was again his downfall.

It will be interesting to see how Ross gets on next season, extremely hard to judge this season when he was picking up the pieces of the Lennon disaster. I've always thought he had the potential to be a great manager so will be keeping my eyes peeled.

Our scout and manager mentioned we were looking at some of Alloa's better players due to the relegation. Anyone yet to sign up who could do a job for ourselves? Always been impressed with the lad Gallacher between the sticks but by the sounds of things we'll be sticking with the goalies we have.

To be fair he did get a couple of chances through the middle and the ball retention was again his downfall.

It will be interesting to see how Ross gets on next season, extremely hard to judge this season when he was picking up the pieces of the Lennon disaster. I've always thought he had the potential to be a great manager so will be keeping my eyes peeled.

Our scout and manager mentioned we were looking at some of Alloa's better players due to the relegation. Anyone yet to sign up who could do a job for ourselves? Always been impressed with the lad Gallacher between the sticks but by the sounds of things we'll be sticking with the goalies we have.

Scott Gallacher

Andrew Wilson

Kyle McAusland

Jason Marr

Ryan Hoggan

Dougie Hill

Iain Flannigan

Burton O'Brien

Liam Caddis

Mitch Megginson

Scott Hynd

Michael Hardie

That is our remaining squad list who we've not heard news either way, I'd imagine all bar a few have been offered deals. Galla wants full time football. Could see you pinching possibly Marr and/or Hill which would be quite annoying...! You are welcome to Caddis, McAusland, O'brien etc.

It's the supporters teams last game of the season tomorrow. We are away to Dunfermline.

It's also our Player Of The Year in The Station tomorrow as well. Davie Beaton is handing out the awards. We've got a couple of tickets left if anyone wants to come along. £3 a ticket. Send me a message on here if you want one

Looks like you've done everyone proud with this stuff, Martyn - well done to everyone involved.

Where did you finish in the league by the end?