The Alloa Athletic Thread

My understanding is that Craig really wants to be involved in the Alloa set-up this season so he has my good wishes.

I am sure he does, I would love to be involved in the Alloa set up this season but I'm pish at Football........I just feel we need better back up , he was poor before, never thought he looked good, yes had the odd good stop here and there but you could see for example when Gallacher came in what a difference a decent keeper can make, never had that confidence with McDowell.

Edited by Craigy

I don't think anyone would argue that Gallacher is a few grades above McDowall, but we've been uncommonly lucky with keepers in recent times. The boss might well be thinking he's about as good as we can find for a backup at this level, and that he can improve. It would be quite a feat to find a keeper of Gallacher quality willing to play part-time in the third tier.

Incidentally, St Mirren might be worth keeping an eye on for next season. Big Ben, Gallacher and possibly Daryll Meggatt? Should be pretty decent at the back.

Get him signed up then and we can forget about McDowell!!

Can't see how McDowell will have improved especially when he couldn't even get a club last season which says it all really.

What was the final score today by the way ?

As far as I've been lead to believe it wasn't that he couldn't get a club but rhe was very busy with his work last year, knocked a few offers back because he didn't like the set up compared to alloas and focused solely on his other job, but he did have offers.

McDowell absolutely fine as back up. This is a guy who has performed at places like Ibrox in the past. Yes there is areas he could improve on but in terms of potentially throwing him in for the odd game or so should Parry get an injury or suspension he would be fine.

McDowell absolutely fine as back up. This is a guy who has performed at places like Ibrox in the past. Yes there is areas he could improve on but in terms of potentially throwing him in for the odd game or so should Parry get an injury or suspension he would be fine.

Agreed. If Parry got a season long injury, we'd look to bring someone else in, but to sit on the bench most games McDowell is fine.

That's the way I see it, no issue at all from me.

McDowell had 4 years wages from the club previously and never had to do much for 3 of them. When he did get a chance, thanks to Gibson being poor, he wasn't very convincing, hadn't improved in his time with us and his defence appeared to have little confidence in him. Not expecting to get a world class back-up, but would rather it was someone wanting to improve and challenge for their place, rather than happily collect skelfs for 3 years.

First time I remember hearing that McDowall has an attitude problem TBH. Hopefully someone at the club points it out to the gaffer before any contracts are signed.

Whilst I can see the point Tams making, Im not sure how it equates to McDowell having an attitude problem. 

I wasn't serious. His point seems to be that McDowall was happy to take a wage without making any effort to improve when he was with us before. I doubt that's the case, but maybe he knows better.

No my point was that from when I first seen him drop a cross into his own net at Elgin until when he finally got regular games two and a half years later he didn't appear to have made any improvements to his game and still wasn't good enough to be first choice. Better to take a chance on a backup that isn't happy to be an unused sub for 3 seasons.

Though if Andy McNeil is spotted in Morrisons during the week, welcome back Craig. :-)

Darryl Meggat any good lads? Signed for us.

Solid, dependable defender. Mainly used at left back, but equally effective at centre back. A bit limited going forwards, certainly at Championship level.

Was an excellent player for Alloa, hence why Hartley took him to Dundee, but that was clearly, and not surprisingly a step too high.

I thought going forward was one of Daryll's strengths, but my memory may have been coloured by a season of Colin Hamilton's long forward passes to invisible teammates.

Na he's not really a marauding to the byeline type. Most of his offensive work came from deeper areas- only ventured further forward for set pieces really.

Solid, reliable defender who will help form a strong unit at the back. And of course a legend for his decisive goal and "the tackle" against Forfar in the play-off final. After limited game time last season I hope he bounces back well for Ayr.