The Alloa Athletic Thread

11 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Obviously something they are trying out pre-season. See how it goes. Would like to see him play his natural position though - wherever that is!

He set up Sammon's goal against Clyde cutting in and laying a tasty through ball for Sammo to run onto and round the keeper. I'd wager he's probably best out there. Possibly easier on the left but Andy has fairly reliably used overlapping fullbacks with wingers cutting in. Too lightweight for the centre when you consider playing against a Hetherington, Virtanen or Roberts.

Although saying that biggest thing I took last night was Reece Mullen is good for the age. Been flirting about the first team at the end of last season but I imagine we'll see him this season in the cameo roles but for a youngster was impressed.

2 hours ago, printer said:

Andy maybe thinking shades of Taylor Steven playing Cammy on the right with his good left peg for shots and crosses. 

Maybe but the difference being Taylor Steven was blessed with pace which unfortunately Cammy doesn’t possess. For me pace is a key attribute for playing this role & I’d expect Andy knows that and is trying to bring someone in. 

5 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Although saying that biggest thing I took last night was Reece Mullen is good for the age. Been flirting about the first team at the end of last season but I imagine we'll see him this season in the cameo roles but for a youngster was impressed.

I liked him. Didn’t look out of place at all. Was pretty composed on the ball and the ones that he was slightly wayward, it didn’t effect him. Straight back wanting the ball again. Like you say above, it’s an area we do have lots of options but keen to see a bit more of him.

Andy has spoke a lot in pre-season about age not being a factor. Whether that’s Sammo in his later years, or more prominently the group of youngsters we’ve got. Expecting a lot more minutes across the board. 

5 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

I liked him. Didn’t look out of place at all. Was pretty composed on the ball and the ones that he was slightly wayward, it didn’t effect him. Straight back wanting the ball again. Like you say above, it’s an area we do have lots of options but keen to see a bit more of him.

Andy has spoke a lot in pre-season about age not being a factor. Whether that’s Sammo in his later years, or more prominently the group of youngsters we’ve got. Expecting a lot more minutes across the board. 

It would be great to see youth get a chance this season as we need some legs in the team . I actually thought Nathan Cannon  who had played with Scotland School boys looked good when he got some minutes but was loaned out & was never to return. I hope the lad can fulfill the glimpses of promise he showed somewhere else. 

9 hours ago, Jagwasp said:

Maybe but the difference being Taylor Steven was blessed with pace which unfortunately Cammy doesn’t possess. For me pace is a key attribute for playing this role & I’d expect Andy knows that and is trying to bring someone in. 

Certainly need pacey options for the three behind the striker but not everyone in there has to be a speed merchant. Indeed, arguably the best three we had with that shape was Kev, Kirkpatrick and Flanny under Jack Ross - absolutely unstoppable for that spell when we started the season on fire. Just three really talented and clever footballers who were so effective there despite not being noted for being quick.

I'd still be expecting the manager to strengthen there (and to be fair we do have some quick players already) but that doesn't mean Cammy can't be an option. He did a turn at LB - and can still provide cover there - but clearly he isn't best suited to that role. Seems very much a confidence player and I don't think playing LB was ideal for him in that respect. If Andy can find a role further up where he can thrive and grow in confidence then he's capable of bringing a lot to the team, he is a very talented player. That's the challenge for Cammy, at a stage now where he really needs to kick on. And Andy Graham is the ideal man to try and help him do that. 

Edited by Waspie

10 hours ago, Jagwasp said:

A reasonable point which @Waspie has answered well.

11 hours ago, Jagwasp said:

I actually thought Nathan Cannon  who had played with Scotland School boys looked good when he got some minutes but was loaned out & was never to return.

I tend to agree with you, also thought he had a bit about him and wasn’t afraid to get stuck in. Looked like someone who was willing to work hard as well. 

Not sure how the loan at Benburb went last season but expected he might be offered another year here. 

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Certainly need pacey options for the three behind the striker but not everyone in there has to be a speed merchant

Agreed, and I think the central one of the 3 is the area you can most get away with a lack of pace - that’s probably the area I’d like to see Cammy get a run of games in. 

Suppose the difficulty there is he’s competing with Scougall, Kev and LD (although looked like LD was playing up top for part of the Morton game when he came on). 

2 hours ago, Rory said:

Any truth in us signing Shay Nevans or in Paddy stepping back to spend more time with family?

I go back to that Livi game and Graeme Holmes was there in the coaching tracksuit so assume he will be in the coaching staff , which could be a replacement for Paddy if he is stepping time out?

On 03/07/2024 at 10:28, Rory said:

Seen Hogarth is on loan at QotS this season. Surprised Rangers haven't tried to get him a loan a division higher.

I was shocked he was getting so much interest at this level! From the folk I've spoken to, there was quite a high percentage of our support who were unconvinced by him in his time with us last season. I don't doubt he has time to improve, but he'll need to do a fair amount before he'll be ready for a Championship stint!

11 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

I tend to agree with you, also thought he had a bit about him and wasn’t afraid to get stuck in. Looked like someone who was willing to work hard as well. 

Not sure how the loan at Benburb went last season but expected he might be offered another year here. 

Signed for Forfar today