The Alloa Athletic Thread

3 hours ago, Rory said:

I wonder if he'll be registered as a player/coach like Parry?

Would doubt it. Although I'd be all for a Holmer cameo. Terrific footballer.

It was good to see him out on the pitch on Saturday during the warm up.

45 minutes ago, laughing gravie said:

Any news of last night's friendly?

I'm currently on a cruise.

Half time nil nil , Colts with the best chance off the post  full time 3. 0 Neill header , cammy with a cheeky back heel then a taggs penalty

Nevans named on the teamsheet  with 2 trialists ,  smallest attendance i have ever seen due to some other mob on tv . 

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

due to some other mob on tv . 

Was, probably, the best match of the Euros so far.

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

Nevans named on the teamsheet  with 2 trialists ,  smallest attendance i have ever seen due to some other mob on tv . 

I'm guessing that means we've signed Nevans then? I seen on twitter clubs are having issues registering players though

On 10/07/2024 at 14:22, Kevchenko said:

The podcast is back for the new season after a 6 week break - we start off the new season with episode 90 talking about the preseason games, the trialists, Paddy leaving, our league cup opponents and ticket pricing!

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Really good discussion about ticket prices. Would be good if the club started giving tickets away to primary schools around the county to try and get more people into the ground. 

I wonder if the club would consider a sort of pay monthly scheme for the season ticket. For a lot of people, £250 is a lot of money to be spending at once.

Agree as well that £20 is a bit steep for the level of football. The club will have bills to pay but I don't think the best option is to keep putting the admission price up and up. Eventually people will just refuse to pay.

Hopefully without Falkirk and Stirling, a lot of the trouble causing kids won't be back at the club. I know a few people who stopped their kids going due to the behaviour of some fans. I don't mind the drumming and the singing, it creates a bit of atmosphere but all the flares, stone throwing etc just negatively affect the clubs involved.

E mailed the club 5 days ago , no answer (no surprise there ) asking about sponsoring a player 

pretty poor stuff , not the first time an enquiry from me has been ignored . what's  the point ? .

5 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

E mailed the club 5 days ago , no answer (no surprise there ) asking about sponsoring a player 

pretty poor stuff , not the first time an enquiry from me has been ignored . what's  the point ? .

If you're who I think you are its because your email got flagged for risk of phishing? Although that was two days ago not 5 if it was to me.

I'm working on it. Everything has been a bit compressed this preseason. Just getting the regulars sorted and then I'll open it up to everyone else. You'll see a few players have them already. 

56 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

If you're who I think you are its because your email got flagged for risk of phishing? Although that was two days ago not 5 if it was to me.

I'm working on it. Everything has been a bit compressed this preseason. Just getting the regulars sorted and then I'll open it up to everyone else. You'll see a few players have them already. 

it was sent on monday , not wednesday ,just a normal enquiry no need for it to be flagged , 

I note Alan Trouten banged in a hatrick yesterday against a championship club. A truly superb Alloa player and in my opinion,was allowed to leave far too early. A mistake. 

2 hours ago, Oweny said:

I note Alan Trouten banged in a hatrick yesterday against a championship club. A truly superb Alloa player and in my opinion,was allowed to leave far too early. A mistake. 

Also means the game against East Fife on Tuesday will be a test of our new squad. Dick Campbell is a wily old fox too so they'll be a tough nut to crack.

Spoiler

His team's are never pretty but are effective. From the outside looking in, I felt he deserved better backing at Arbroath when the going got tough.  

A character and a genuine football man. The game is better with guys like them still working 

Only 1 down and still over 40 odd competitive games to go, but……..That was every bit as dire a start to the season as the defeat to the Binos was last year. 

Know there’s a few missing and will no doubt be a few (loans) to come in later, but the similarities to last season are worrying - not able to move the ball forward through the midfield and ultimately spending the game watching our centre halves launch aimless long balls to a totally ineffective Sammon. 

Thought Buchanan started and finished well but dropped out a little either side of half time, and Kane Thomson played well out of position on the left wing, but struggling to take much more positives from tonight. 

Bar Buchanan, the lack of pace in the squad is a concern, none more so than in that defence. Any team with a bit of pace up top will cause us no end of issues as our centre halves are lost when they need to turn. 

Need Andy to try and pull a couple of master strokes out of the loan market because the team looked exactly like we did in the few games we had last season when Bobby Wales was away with Scotland. 

The lack of a midfield player available to carry the ball forward from the back four when we play out from the back is a serious worry. Time and again we would have the ball to play out from defence and there would be five players passing the ball between themselves whilst the other five outfield players were in a line with the East Fife defenders and noone in between to link from back to front. 

The reason for putting this comment here rather than on the cup pages is that this is a problem and weakness that will trouble us all season if it is not addressed.

Edited by tryall