Berlin - who's been?

footiechick

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone been to Union Berlin's stadium? One of the best walks to a ground you'll ever make. Far more character about the place than the Olympiastadion, as good as it is.

Aye, class wee ground. The steak slice rolls things they sell were sensational as well - the worst hangover/comedown I've ever had in my life starting wearing off at about half time and I think I had three of them :lol:

The Olympiastadion is absolutely amazing, in a completely different way. I wouldn't say it lacked character, for a newly renovated stadium it had an epic, historic feel about it.

Aye, class wee ground. The steak slice rolls things they sell were sensational as well - the worst hangover/comedown I've ever had in my life starting wearing off at about half time and I think I had three of them :lol:

The Olympiastadion is absolutely amazing, in a completely different way. I wouldn't say it lacked character, for a newly renovated stadium it had an epic, historic feel about it.

Aye it definitely does, I just mean from a Hertha point of view. They don't own the stadium so apart from the Hertha BSC fanshop in the ground, you wouldn't know they played there. Union's ground is different altogether, there's red and white everywhere and you're left in no doubt who plays there. Both brilliant grounds in different ways I suppose.

Anyone been to Union Berlin's stadium? One of the best walks to a ground you'll ever make. Far more character about the place than the Olympiastadion, as good as it is.

Me and a few mates go to Düsseldorf evetlry year for a few games and adopted Duisburg as our team. Last year when we were over they were away to Hansa Rostock, so we got the train there and back. This year Duisburg are away to Union Berlin, so we're trekking over to the east on the Saturday. Can't wait for it.

Noticed some 4hr on foot tours for €12 each. Look pretty good value and although I'm not a huge fan of TripAdvisor, they seem to have about a 90% excellent rating.

Quite fancy the last days of Hitler and Cold War ones, will easily fill some time. Somehow overlooked the fact that the city is packed with history.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Going to Berlin for my stagger next Thursday, really looking forward to it. Staying in between Schoneberg and Kreuzberg. Got a beer bike lined up for the Friday afternoon, so should get to see at least a little bit of the city (can't imagine there'll be much more in the way of culture than that), and think we're hoping to get along to an Oktoberfest event on the Saturday as it' the last weekend. Heard (and read here) that Mitte is really good for drinking, as is Prenzlauer Berg. Anyone recommend anywhere else we should be going for bars / clubs? Anyone been to Oktoberfest in Berlin before?

Mitte is good, get off at Rosa Luxemburg Platz subway to get closest to best bars.

Kreuzberg is best for nights out and get to Neukoln if you have time. Loads good places near U Schlesisches Tor subway and towards the east which is more central Kreuzberg. Go across the bridge/opposite side from Eastside Gallery for clubs as well. Kotbusser Tor subway gets you close to a lot of great places and Oranienstrasse. You will come across a few shifty characters in these areas but none more so than yourself I'm sure. :) If you want to score some weed/class A's take a stroll through Gorlitzer park any time of day. :lol:

Edit: would put Prenzlaur Berg down the list of places to go it's extremely gentrified now with loads organic cafes/buggies etc. Mitte's a lot more gentrified than it used to be but still great, Kreuzberg kinda gentrified, Neukoln less so.

Going to Berlin for my stagger next Thursday, really looking forward to it. Staying in between Schoneberg and Kreuzberg. Got a beer bike lined up for the Friday afternoon, so should get to see at least a little bit of the city (can't imagine there'll be much more in the way of culture than that), and think we're hoping to get along to an Oktoberfest event on the Saturday as it' the last weekend. Heard (and read here) that Mitte is really good for drinking, as is Prenzlauer Berg. Anyone recommend anywhere else we should be going for bars / clubs? Anyone been to Oktoberfest in Berlin before?

Watergate was very good and wasn't particularly strict about entry which was a plus.

Don't turn up to any clubs in a big group of you, separate in to smaller groups is my advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Went there for three nights for my stag do in 2007, 17 of us.

What a brilliant city, done a lot of the tourist stuff during one day and ended up pitch side at an American football game in the Olympic stadium another day.

Stayed in Mitte, played beach volleyball in one pub!

• 4 months later...

Oh well. The Fulham vs Middlesbrough game was what I was looking for.

Was on the sportdigital channel, which most pubs with Sky Sports have.

fussballgucken.info is the web-site to use if ever any queries as to what's on on what channel in Germany.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in Berlin this week, but unfortunately leave just before Union's home game on Friday. Is it worth travelling out to the ground for a look round anyway?

Cheers

Why not and enjoy a nice stroll in the woods at the same time.

Why not and enjoy a nice stroll in the woods at the same time.

My mum tells me there's beasts in the woods ,so no thanks.

Went to the Stasi museum instead.  A fair bit of Deutschland 83 was filmed there, but it was just...ok.  Much better was the Cold War English language walking tour.  Best 12 euros I spent on the trip.  Karl Marx Allee was superb.

And the object of the trip, pop pickers, was to see Underworld, which was superb.  Just thought I'd fling that in.

Wandered into this pub afterwards for a beer and the place is full of guys smoking hookahs; about 30 of them.  A waiter rushes up to me and asks if he can help.  No, they don't sell beer, he says.  Bizarre. 

Also waited for 30 minutes to have a Mustapha's kebab...reputedly Berlin's best, and definitely the best I've ever tasted.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived