Berlin - who's been?

footiechick

1 minute ago, Pete Rockwell said:

not far from Berghain, not that I'll be trying to get in there

Has anyone on here had any joy getting into any clubs in Berlin? I've heard some real horror stories about being made to wait for hours then being told to f**k off.

I didn't bother with any myself, but did spend a fun evening in Tacheles.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, tongue_tied_danny said:

Has anyone on here had any joy getting into any clubs in Berlin? I've heard some real horror stories about being made to wait for hours then being told to f**k off.

I didn't bother with any myself, but did spend a fun evening in Tacheles.

My clubbing days are a bit past me tbh and I almost exclusively listen to hip hop, soul, funk, jazz, disco, rare groove etc so would probably have no issues going to places playing that.  I've bought Detroit/Tresor records in the past but don't think I could do a full night of it in a club tbh.

Just had a look at Tacheles online when did you go there?  I've spent time in that area, seems pretty gentrified now.

5 minutes ago, Pete Rockwell said:

My clubbing days are a bit past me tbh and I almost exclusively listen to hip hop, soul, funk, jazz, disco, rare groove etc so would probably have no issues going to places playing that.  I've bought Detroit/Tresor records in the past but don't think I could do a full night of it in a club tbh.

Just had a look at Tacheles online when did you go there?  I've spent time in that area, seems pretty gentrified now.

It was about 5 years ago, just before they got evicted. It was an interesting place, even if it did stink badly of piss. The bar was open all night and the Canadian barmaid was rolling joints and passing them around. It was a good night.

5 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

It was about 5 years ago, just before they got evicted. It was an interesting place, even if it did stink badly of piss. The bar was open all night and the Canadian barmaid was rolling joints and passing them around. It was a good night.

Got to hand it to East Berlin or close to it like Mitte was when you went to Tacheles. It's good that it still has a bit of that 70's/80's NYC feeling although it is disappearing.

We spent some time in the Mitte area but we were low on time and had a few issues with our travelling companions - they got ill and one of our group couldn't make it. My wife and I might head back for a weekend on our own next year to do some of the things that we missed.

We are also pretty old and boring tbh, I prefer chilling out to going clubbing or anything like that.

I'm going next weekend. This will be my third visit in just under a year. 

Mitte and Kreuzberg are brilliant places to spend a night.

Credit to the posters earlier in the thread who recommended The Bird restaurant. The burgers are absolutely first class. Will eat again.

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

We spent some time in the Mitte area but we were low on time and had a few issues with our travelling companions - they got ill and one of our group couldn't make it. My wife and I might head back for a weekend on our own next year to do some of the things that we missed.

We are also pretty old and boring tbh, I prefer chilling out to going clubbing or anything like that.

No better place to chill out than East/Central Berlin. I can't recommend it highly enough. 

My girlfriends moaning a bit about going back there for New Year but I think I'll talk her round. 

6 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Credit to the posters earlier in the thread who recommended The Bird restaurant. The burgers are absolutely first class. Will eat again.

Never heard of it, will check it out. 

In terms of clubbing, none of the group I was in got in anywhere and we tried a fair few although to be fair it was a stag so that wouldn't help. Not sure if this is the case, but it felt to me like the culture there was to go to a club early and do your whole night in there, rather than getting steaming and ending up in a club like on Britain.

We joined the sandeman bar crawl it was something like 15 euro and they took you to a few pubs and a club at the end which was a stereotypical German nightclub but was decent.
If no one in your group has been before I'd recommend it to see a few bars etc then you can do your own thing the next night

On 24/07/2016 at 01:45, Hammer Jag said:

Three times in a year, you're a proper Berlin enthusiast. Can't wait to get back for new year got a hotel kind of on the border of Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg. 

Aye, and I'm certainly not the type of person who tends to stick to the same destinations all the time. Berlin is just fantastic though. So much to do, so little time.

Been having a tough time at work recently so just decided to book up a last minute break.

Seeing as you'll be staying next to Freidrichshien, I'd recommend a visit to Die Berliner Republik. It's a boozer situated across the river from Fredrichshien HBF. It's got a huge selection of beers from around the world and the price of each beer fluctuates depending on its popularity     when you're in. There are screens all around the pub showing you the price changes in a stock market format. It's a bit of fun and there's a good atmosphere in the place. I never ordered food but it did look excellent.

Aye, and I'm certainly not the type of person who tends to stick to the same destinations all the time. Berlin is just fantastic though. So much to do, so little time.

Been having a tough time at work recently so just decided to book up a last minute break.

Seeing as you'll be staying next to Freidrichshien, I'd recommend a visit to Die Berliner Republik. It's a boozer situated across the river from Fredrichshien HBF. It's got a huge selection of beers from around the world and the price of each beer fluctuates depending on its popularity     when you're in. There are screens all around the pub showing you the price changes in a stock market format. It's a bit of fun and there's a good atmosphere in the place. I never ordered food but it did look excellent.

I was in there a couple of years back.

I'm sure it was open pretty late for a midweek night too

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been out to Berlin for the Xmas markets?

Looking to take the wives mum & dad at the end off November for her old mans 60th. Going to take in a Hertha game v Mainz and the markets plus some tourist stuff.

Not really sure the best area to stay for us and also what else to squeeze in so any advices welcome.

One thing we will do however is go to The Bird. Sounds awesome....!

Thanks for reply. Looking at the Plus hostel right next to eastside gallery. Between Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg.

I was looking at this tonight, have you been?

Has anyone been out to Berlin for the Xmas markets?

Looking to take the wives mum & dad at the end off November for her old mans 60th. Going to take in a Hertha game v Mainz and the markets plus some tourist stuff.

Not really sure the best area to stay for us and also what else to squeeze in so any advices welcome.

One thing we will do however is go to The Bird. Sounds awesome....!

Yeah me and the GF are looking to do the same, stay over the weekend and do the markets. Positive is flights from Glasgow are £60 return and accommodation isn't obscene.

So I'm hoping someone actually properly responds to you.

Archived