New Strips for 2014/15

Bit harsh on Spence ie, 'only recognise the entire teams of Celtic and The Rangers' when he's one of the ones that tends to go out of his way to talk about the other clubs rather than the OF. In fact, he's one of the very few that does it.

I'm only going on what Spence himself said. He was the one complaining about the stripes making the names and numbers on St Mirren and Killie kits difficult to make out, and the players difficult to spot. Now, the hoops on Celtic kits make the names and numbers just as difficult, but there never seemed to be a problem identifying Emilio from Kayal, or Stokes from Hooper.

Just saying like.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spence was pretty vocal about apparently not being able to read the numbers on our shirts as well and somehow credited Austin McCann's only goal in a Pars shirt to Paul Burns.

I'm only going on what Spence himself said. He was the one complaining about the stripes making the names and numbers on St Mirren and Killie kits difficult to make out, and the players difficult to spot. Now, the hoops on Celtic kits make the names and numbers just as difficult, but there never seemed to be a problem identifying Emilio from Kayal, or Stokes from Hooper.

Just saying like.

1404604212925.jpgarticle-2540297-1AAFABBD00000578-767_634

Nah, I think Celtic are much easier to see.

It was a near weakly discussion on sport sound and nearly all the pundits agreed that it makes their life really really hard because they couldn't tell who each player was, regardless of how different the players looked from each other. They really are pathetic at telling players apart.

1404604212925.jpgarticle-2540297-1AAFABBD00000578-767_634

Nah, I think Celtic are much easier to see.

I agree, in regard to our new abomination of a wearable JD Sports advertisement, but St Mirren weren't wearing this kit when Spence & Co were moaning, and Celtic were wearing kits with more hoops than the one you're showing here.

I agree, in regard to our new abomination of a wearable JD Sports advertisement, but St Mirren weren't wearing this kit when Spence & Co were moaning, and Celtic were wearing kits with more hoops than the one you're showing here.

I don't think we've ever had a problem with it historically, although UEFA doesn't allow us to wear the hoops round the back, we need to do that stupid shite panel. and we had been one of the last clubs to fight the number on the back as traditional we only had the number on the shorts

I think it's harder because the lines on the St.Mirren kit are thin. I do struggle to make out the name on that picture, but not the number.

Either way, Nobody should have a problem identifying players

I don't think we've ever had a problem with it historically, although UEFA doesn't allow us to wear the hoops round the back, we need to do that stupid shite panel. and we had been one of the last clubs to fight the number on the back as traditional we only had the number on the shorts

I think it's harder because the lines on the St.Mirren kit are thin. I do struggle to make out the name on that picture, but not the number.

Either way, Nobody should have a problem identifying players

Commentators on Radio Scotland who should swat up on 12 top flight teams certainly shouldn't - or as licence payers, we should stop paying their wages. I sometimes have difficulty identifying opposition players, but a quick 'Who's the cnut in the number 8 shirt?' directed quietly towards my mate usually fixes me up!

The standard on Sportsound or whatever it's called is fucking appalling. Richard Spence I like as an anchor - but the rest of them. Worst of all has got to be Chico. I'm genuinely not having a pop at St Mirren but I can't believe that slavering mess still has a job.

The standard on Sportsound or whatever it's called is fucking appalling. Richard Spence I like as an anchor - but the rest of them. Worst of all has got to be Chico. I'm genuinely not having a pop at St Mirren but I can't believe that slavering mess still has a job.

Yep, Chic is definitely the only "slavering mess". I mean, seeing as you can't even get the names of the presenter right and all that...

There are also away fans and television viewers to consider. I really don't think making the names on the shirts intelligible is that difficult, and I don't think it's entirely due to commentators' laziness either. It's a fair complaint that the St Mirren shirt requires a magic eye to read the name.

I like Sportsound and the majority of the presenters on it, I think Chic and Murdo are brutal but outside them I enjoy listening to it. I often hear the 6-7 weeknight show when driving home and there's really good chat on it.

Never thought I'd say it but Kris Boyd and Derek Ferguson are interesting to listen to.

There are also away fans and television viewers to consider. I really don't think making the names on the shirts intelligible is that difficult, and I don't think it's entirely due to commentators' laziness either. It's a fair complaint that the St Mirren shirt requires a magic eye to read the name.

This is hard work, but I'll say it again and again... Yes, the new St Mirren shirt is an abomination, and it is murder polis' to read the names and numbers on, AND those names and numbers look shit in red on what has become a wearable yellow, black and white JD Sports advertisement...

However, I am not talking about Spence & Co moaning about a shirt we haven't even worn in anger yet. I am talking about our recent 'normal' striped kits - which we, and Killie, were wearing while he was talking about contacting club chairmen in order to get patches on the backs of our kits again - after we had just managed to get rid of them. The SP(F)L were happy enough, fans welcomed the return of the stripes, and the club were reporting sales were up by good numbers.

THOSE kits were fine to make out the names on the back - and a BBC commentator should, by goodness, be able to spot the first teamers of 12 clubs in the top flight at least, without whinging like a big blouse about it, while, as I also said, they never had an issue with Beram Kayal being mistaken for Emilio Izzaguere (sp?), or whoever else was in a multi-hooped Sellik shirt at the same time.

As I also said - in sanctioning our new coma-inducing, eye hurting multi-striped clown outfit, our board of directors have added much fuel to Spence's fire.... I'm just waiting for the season to kick off and I'll bet you now that the Sportsound mob will be back on our case. If we end up being told by Doncaster to get ugly patches on our strips again - the blame lies squarely at the feet of our board who don't seem to give a fcuk, as long as JD Sports take care of it all for them. Our deal isn't dependent on kit sales. If we sell 5 or 5,000 it's of no consequence.

Our deal isn't dependent on kit sales. If we sell 5 or 5,000 it's of no consequence.

That's not going to be entirely true is it? If sales are poor then you can rest assured that JD will either have a clause in place to reduce payment, or pull out of any future deals altogether. It doesn't make sense for a business to offer a no questions asked deal to a small, provincial side with a limited target market.

If it was a marketable club outwith of the west coast then such a deal could make sense (i.e. ability to sell to Asia/rest of UK/Europe etc) but not for St Mirren.

In reality then, it should make sense for both parties to agree a consensus that would lead to good sales - which makes this years abomination even more puzzling.

I do agree that people who are paid to talk about/on football should have a knowledge of the players involved, although that is infrequently the case in the U.K. I as a fan will 'research' opposition teams etc before we play them as I like to have a knowledge of who we'll be up against and their strengths/weaknesses so I can only hope that Sportsound pundits will do the same from now on.

Archived