Albion Rovers Thread 2014/15

Albion have signed Ross McNeil from Stenny.

He should be an good signing for any club in this division. McNeil's a clever striker - not the fastest or the tallest but he's intelligent and has sound awareness. He's a very good finisher too. Works hard when he doesn't have the ball. Would imagine he'd hit double figures over the course of the season.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the wee Rovers building a very strong and experienced squad for the new season.

Ward just doesn't convince as a manager, though. Players like Gemmell require careful handling if the best is to be got out of them and it will very quickly become apparent if Ward has the shoes for that difficult job. Personally I think someone like Gemmell needs a lot more than Alan Maitland's coneman, to bring the best out of him.

Not sure what's happening with Crawford. Don't think he's been signed up. Good player when he's on his game but very inconsistent.

He was absolutely consistent in the season just passed: consistently poor and consistently disinterested.

On more positive matters, the signings of Gemmell, Love and McNeil are promising, and Anderson and Maxwell would be similarly welcome. My thoughts on some of the guys that we retained (Donnelly, McGuigan and Chaplain, most notably) were that if they were absolute first picks next year then Ward's signing policy would have failed. Looks like my fears may have been unfounded.

The above said, there clearly is still a worry about what sort of team Wardy can mould even from the best of resource, and Ivo puts that point very well above. I like James and I really hope he is successful, but with the backing he is being given there's not going to be much room for mitigation next year.

Is it confirmed he is signing with berwick then?

Na to be honest I was just using logic. With him being from the area we train, and us saying on our OS that we have a left sided league 2 player lined up it seemed to make sense, then a Shire fan popped up saying they'd heard it too. Looks like a battle :P

Despite your 300 kid-on season ticket holders, I'm utterly convinced you lot will have more board members than fans next season.

As per your website that's another one appointed.

Ha ha. Made me laugh I grudgingly have to admit !Hope we get them to pay in !

All I would say is that it's still better that decisions are made round a board room table than round a dining room table as clearly happens in East Coatdyke environs...

Despite your 300 kid-on season ticket holders, I'm utterly convinced you lot will have more board members than fans next season.

You should see the coaching staff. New contract with Miller's buses required for next season?

Whilst I imagine I'm unsuitable for several reasons, I was put off applying for the vacant Finance Manager's position becuase it's an unpaid role.

Given the resources currently available to the club, it seems a bit tight-fisted to expect someone to give up "a few hours a day" without offering a small, pro rata wage - or am I the bad guy for wanting to take money from the club?

Every club in this league has people giving up a few hours a day. Although unpaid work is illegal, a roster of paid staff isn't an option.

But I'm sure the job will have its perks- getting to sit in the exclusive red-seated bit next to the Tannoy, getting Martin McGuire to sign programmes etc.

A wee bit of common sense really to understand what I meant by the term "reserve" when mentioning those games.

Sorry, Paul, if that seemed facetious, but I genuinely was puzzled. There is a serious point: the lack of a reserve team playing proper games, regularly and competitively, restricts the activity of fringe players. Our benchwarmers are then not ready when they are required. Puts us at a disadvantage to some of our rivals. And will deter some players from joining us if they're not going to get a regular game.

We have regular games against teams for our players who haven't played the game at the weekend. I've went along and watched us play junior and senior teams on a Tuesday night. From what I have seen these games although classed as "bounce games" are still very much competitive.

Archived