Albion Rovers Thread 2014/15

4-4-2 is on its way out because it's predictable and simple to play against. We're easy enough to break down with five in midfield, never mind four.

The best option, in my opinion, is 4-2-3-1, but Ward's 4-1-4-1 works quite well. One concern might be the misuse of McGuigan's great crossing ability- when was the last time John Gemmell scored a header?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4-4-2 is on its way out because it's predictable and simple to play against. We're easy enough to break down with five in midfield, never mind four.

The best option, in my opinion, is 4-2-3-1, but Ward's 4-1-4-1 works quite well. One concern might be the misuse of McGuigan's great crossing ability- when was the last time John Gemmell scored a header?

That almost sounded like a complement

Id take Donnelly at Gayfield, very good striker in there somewhere.

Your neighbours at Brechin didn't appreciate him. I know what you mean, though, and no doubt he'll return to hurt us.

On the rare occasions they were paired together, John Gemmell and Ross McNeil looked like a pretty handy combination. The classic little 'n' large partnership, if you like. Can imagine James Ward looking to reprise that at some point this season.

I've no idea what the manager's aversion is to playing Mark McGuigan in his natural role. Looks far more capable up top than out wide.

On the rare occasions they were paired together, John Gemmell and Ross McNeil looked like a pretty handy combination. The classic little 'n' large partnership, if you like. Can imagine James Ward looking to reprise that at some point this season.

I've no idea what the manager's aversion is to playing Mark McGuigan in his natural role. Looks far more capable up top than out wide.

Not last season he didn't. All of his best work came from the right wing. Very disappointing season all round for Mark. Hoping for better in the season to come.

Agreed. We played 4-4-2 last year and teams found it incredibly easy to play against us, which is why we finished 5th in the Championship. Dundee played 4-4-2 but they only managed to win the league.

:huh:

No particular formation is easy to play against or is better than another as long as you have the players to play your desired formation it's really not an issue whether it's 4-4-2 or whatever.

What would be the point of playing 4-2-3-1 if you had the players who were better utilised in a 4-4-2?

We played 4-2-3-1 under Corrigan and for the most part it was junk to watch.

Fans get a bit pretentious even at this level of football unnecessarily I feel.

Updates from Stranraer fans that Barry Russell has signed for them. Decent enough player. Best of luck to him. No sign of a replacement yet for us ?

Good luck to Barry - shame he ever went for that wee op - might still be with us. Don't envy that journey every two weeks . We signed Josh Mullin to replace Barry mate. Love to replace Philips I presume

. Heard we may be playing Celtic Nation pre season.

Edit to add- after a wee google search Josh is a right back - so you are correct - left back required.

Maybe Ross Dunlop will have to play left back, with Ciaran moving in next to Mick. Weaker back four (for now, at least) than if we'd kept Barry/Gary, IMO.

I'd rather put Ciaran to left back, but either of our scenarios might well happen given it looks like he'll struggle for a midfield berth.

The Mullin situation is odd if he really can't play anywhere else. We were clearly really keen on recruiting the guy, and he was just as keen to come given how early he signed. Maybe he's confident of usurping Alan Reid, and he'll be a hell of an asset if he manages it: there really are few lower Division players as consistent as Alan

Can't surely put Ross back into left back. He is all right footed and he was exposed constantly when played in that position earlier in the season. I don't feel too comfortable with CD option at left back either as i don't think he has the legs for that position. I can see us going for a loan of a LB from Motherwell or Partick Thistle.

What's Jordan Halsman up to these days?

Just checked- he plays top-flight football in Iceland! Forget that suggestion- I thought he might have slipped down to part-time football by now.

Let`s not get into the loan situation long before the new season has started.

Not the best option but having been looking about at available players there doesn't appear to be many left backs we could get which would leave us open to bringing in a left back on loan than moving one of our stronger players from their natural position.

I'd rather put Ciaran to left back, but either of our scenarios might well happen given it looks like he'll struggle for a midfield berth.

The Mullin situation is odd if he really can't play anywhere else. We were clearly really keen on recruiting the guy, and he was just as keen to come given how early he signed. Maybe he's confident of usurping Alan Reid, and he'll be a hell of an asset if he manages it: there really are few lower Division players as consistent as Alan

Wonder if Ward signed Mullin believing that Reid was offski? (Before the intervention of a Director, as we were informed.)

Wonder if Ward signed Mullin believing that Reid was offski? (Before the intervention of a Director, as we were informed.)

Not sure about that given we tried to bring him [Mullin] in at the start of the calendar year, and then signed him up immediately on a pre-contract when his club rejected what they viewed as a derisory offer.

Archived