The Official Berwick Rangers 2014/2015 Thread

I have two observations from yesterday that I wanted to share.

Firstly the clubs music system appears to have finally packed in. Surely this should have been tested prior to the first game of the season. Hope to hear the sweet sounds of music at The Pars game on Saturday.

Secondly there appears to be a growing number of people standing behind the dugout in the tunnel area. A mixture of Directors Staff And Randoms. It looks very unprofessional to have so many folk there. A full row was reserved in the stand for officials and it remained empty throughout the game.

In general it was a good day although I expect the cost of policing and stewarding took the shine off any potential profit.

& by the time the time the accountant took his cut :o

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work by the manager and the board to get Lee Currie signed up again. If he can repeat last season's form, then we'll have the best midfielder in the league playing in the black and gold, and an opportunity for Lee himself to prove to people that he should be performing at a higher level.

As for Saturday's match, thought we played some good stuff in the first half, with Fairbairn, Tulloch, both Curries & Russell showing up well. Trilaist Paul Willis (Ex Dunfermline & East Fife) did ok and looked worth another run out. Second half was a bit of a car crash. Andrews, who played well at Spartans, looked nervy, though an unfamiliar defence did'nt help matters.

The general standard of trialist has been disappointing. Most of the guys who've turned out are'nt even suitable for the development squad, let alone the first team. We've kept last season's squad intact - which the club deserve kudos for - but remember that this is the team that could only finish 5th last season. CC has added Maxwell, who should make a difference, and Gold who i need to see more of. Dutot trialled with Brechin on Saturday (interesting to note that on the Brechin thread, one of their supporters claims we've offered Dutot a deal), and there was no sign of Sutherland, who also impressed. Most people who we're linked with or have trialled have connections to Cowdenbeath, East Fife or Hibs. I'd like to think we'll be casting the net a bit wider and making use of the contacts that CC, Jsason Dair and Robbie Horn must have in the game.There are still 3 friendlies (Whitehill, Dunfermline & Duns) to come, so ample opportunity to get some players in that will add real quality to the squad rather than just make up the numbers.

At the minute, the only difference to our starting eleven from last season is probably going to be Scott Maxwell when he regains full fitness. We need more options than that, and i still think a left back and centre-back are essential (though Maxwell can also fill in at left-back). As Brian pointed out earlier, Jacobs look some way off his best form and I'd start Stevie Notman at right back. Also heard that Brydon has signed for Duns. To be honest, Johnny Fairbairn looks a better player and also like he gives one. I'd rather have him in the team any day.

'Shire fans were fairly quick to point out that Maxwell was wasted at left back, and whenever I've seen him he's always looked a player that'd be a really good LM at this level. I'd be reluctant to have him fill in there. I agree we need another left back. Hoskins is okay, but even if he is to be first choice, there isn't enough depth on the left flank to allow Maxwell to drop in (ie, if Maxwell goes LB, Lavery pretty much has to go LM as there are no other options).

I've always been a little critical of Jacobs mainly due to his shocking efforts in relation to ball retention which can invite a lot of unwanted pressure, but he did start slowly last season - that may just be the case again this season. Some players, certainly at part-time are just like that. Personally I'd rather them that way than how a lot of players with us have been in the past. The likes of Greenhill, McLaren etc all seemed to be on fire for 8 weeks before turning into total dog shit.

Thankfully with the addition of Gold, emergence of Miller & re-signing of Currie, it presents us with the chance of moving Notman in there if he does start slow again and not being weakened elsewhere in the squad. Personally, I like Notman better in midfield with Cameron in behind as it gives him & in particular Currie more freedom, but if Jacobs is out of nick then I'd have no hesitations in moving him back and playing some of the others.

I don't agree that Fairbairn looks a better player than Brydon, but he had a very good debut season in senior football and if he improves on that I think that he could become one, and given I agree that he looks like he at least looks like gives a toss, that probably makes him more valuable to the team anyway. You can't exactly miss something you never had, and last season we certainly didn't have Brydon.

I think we're still a LB/left sider, CB and Striker short of a title challenging team. The re-signing of Lee Currie will undoubtedly make a huge difference and basically gives us a side that should be making the play-offs, as we would have done if Cameron/Horn was the management combo all season last year. With a few sides elsewhere strengthening however, we could do with putting some final touches to the team. The fact we've had so many trialists suggests Cameron agrees.

In all, it's a good position to be in. We've no reason to panic-sign anyone with basically our squad of last season and two strengthening additions already in place - we can afford to wait and see who else fails to win a deal at a higher level. We have the option of loans available, and we clearly have one or two trialists who Cameron & Horn think could be potential signings anyway. I'm looking forward to the start of the competitive season.

And While I'm asking, who were the 3 targets that Cameron claims to have missed out on?

Khedira, Alexis Sanchez and Ander Herrera... But heard they signed for smaller clubs down England and took massive wage cuts in the process. Gutted Cameron couldn't seal these deals earlier

Can't immediately think of a time in last 30 years when I was seriously impressed with our pre-season displays.....

But... 2 more signings whether loan or contract ..... and I'll enjoy my beer a smidge more!

Archived