Greenock Morton 2014/2015 Thread

Rickie Lamie has signed.
seems an odd one on paper. He's be ok when I've seen him but over a few years hasn't been good enough for us. He may well come back to haunt us but I would have thought league 2 was his level rather than full time league 1.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also quite surprised to read that Duffy hasn't signed any out-and-out full backs. At Clyde he played a 442 with heavy emphasis on his full backs and wingers getting the ball as often as possible, driving up the pitch and bombarding the oppo area with crosses

David McNeil, Rickie Lamie and Jordan Allan have all signed deals until January. That would indicate that they are not being signed to go right into the team, but more to give them a chance to prove themselves. Fingers crossed we see a few more wide midfielders coming in, as we currently have a squad with no natural full backs, and one 18 year old wide midfielder.

Yeah, we still need another three or four players. We need more depth up front and another two wide midfielders at least. Ideally we'd also sign some full backs but now we've got six centre backs, I guess we're stuck with playing two of them at full back for the season.

We started off by signing some potentially decent players along with some (what appeared to be, at least) squad fillers, but we now seem to have descended into the all out panic of the 6 month contract for unconvincing trialists.

The lack of experience is very worrying. The majority of the squad have very little experience of playing at this level or higher, and even less experience of a promotion fight. Outside of Barrowman you'd be lucky to find 10 career goals at this level or higher throughout the rest of the squad.

Last season was a nightmare, and such a weird one at that. But just as we think it's all over we lose 10-2 to Hamilton and go onto appoint Jim Duffy as manager (still can't quite believe that). I dread to think of what's ahead.

We started off by signing some potentially decent players along with some (what appeared to be, at least) squad fillers, but we now seem to have descended into the all out panic of the 6 month contract for unconvincing trialists.

The lack of experience is very worrying. The majority of the squad have very little experience of playing at this level or higher, and even less experience of a promotion fight. Outside of Barrowman you'd be lucky to find 10 career goals at this level or higher throughout the rest of the squad.

Last season was a nightmare, and such a weird one at that. But just as we think it's all over we lose 10-2 to Hamilton and go onto appoint Jim Duffy as manager (still can't quite believe that). I dread to think of what's ahead.

Agreed with all of that.

I've tried to get over my initial anger and shock at the appointment of Duffy because let's face it, the appointment's been made, he's not going anywhere and ultimately he'll be judged on what he does here rather than his previous record so there's not much point dwelling on it, but every time there's a discussion on how pessimistic we all are I can't help reflecting on how bizarre the appointment is.

Strangely I was actually really looking forward to this season starting as we got towards the end of the last one, and as embarrassing as the Hamilton game was it only made me more eager for the new season so we could move on from that. After Shiels resigned I was even more excited, thinking we could get an ambitious young manager like Aitken or Bollan and have an exciting season challenging for the title, competing closely with Dunfermline for all that they would obviously be the favourites.

As soon as Duffy was appointed the excitement vanished and now two months on pretty much everyone's resigned to the fact we won't be challenging, while some are seriously doubting our credentials to make the playoffs, never mind win them. Dread is really the only emotion I've got ahead of this season.

Edit: My text keeps changing size in the middle of posts and I have no idea why.

Agreed with all of that.

I've tried to get over my initial anger and shock at the appointment of Duffy because let's face it, the appointment's been made, he's not going anywhere and ultimately he'll be judged on what he does here rather than his previous record so there's not much point dwelling on it, but every time there's a discussion on how pessimistic we all are I can't help reflecting on how bizarre the appointment is.

Strangely I was actually really looking forward to this season starting as we got towards the end of the last one, and as embarrassing as the Hamilton game was it only made me more eager for the new season so we could move on from that. After Shiels resigned I was even more excited, thinking we could get an ambitious young manager like Aitken or Bollan and have an exciting season challenging for the title, competing closely with Dunfermline for all that they would obviously be the favourites.

As soon as Duffy was appointed the excitement vanished and now two months on pretty much everyone's resigned to the fact we won't be challenging, while some are seriously doubting our credentials to make the playoffs, never mind win them. Dread is really the only emotion I've got ahead of this season.

Edit: My text keeps changing size in the middle of posts and I have no idea why.

You're right to be feeling like this, because the guy doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing. Had to put up with his pish teams for years so you have my sympathies.

You're right to be feeling like this, because the guy doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing. Had to put up with his pish teams for years so you have my sympathies.

Jesus Biggie - kick them when they're down why don't cha!

To offer a glimmer of hope, Jefferies is seen as a dinosaur but he has good young coaches around him at East End. We let ourselves down badly in that 3-0 defeat to Cowden in the playoffs but apart from that the Pars job seemed to revitalise him. We're generally an exciting team to watch.

Duffy has got the chance to pretty much build his own squad so he shouldn't be having to worry about trying to motivate too many existing wasters. Being full time should immediately put Morton in contention for a top two place. Duffy has a fair bit of history of title battles with the Pars too and will doubtless look to motivate his players with his experience.

Bollan did a scarily good job with Airdie last year, Forfar have a bit of quality and plenty of other teams will give you hard games but the squad size and being full time will make a huge difference over the course of the season. I think it will be much closer between Pars and Morton than you guys are expecting and it could be well into the season before there's any daylight between us and the best part-timers.

Jesus Biggie - kick them when they're down why don't cha!

To offer a glimmer of hope, Jefferies is seen as a dinosaur but he has good young coaches around him at East End. We let ourselves down badly in that 3-0 defeat to Cowden in the playoffs but apart from that the Pars job seemed to revitalise him. We're generally an exciting team to watch.

Duffy has got the chance to pretty much build his own squad so he shouldn't be having to worry about trying to motivate too many existing wasters. Being full time should immediately put Morton in contention for a top two place. Duffy has a fair bit of history of title battles with the Pars too and will doubtless look to motivate his players with his experience.

Bollan did a scarily good job with Airdie last year, Forfar have a bit of quality and plenty of other teams will give you hard games but the squad size and being full time will make a huge difference over the course of the season. I think it will be much closer between Pars and Morton than you guys are expecting and it could be well into the season before there's any daylight between us and the best part-timers.

Relegation battles as well. Remember you put 5 past his side when you couldn't buy a goal for weeks? I still get seething about that season. He's absolutely hopeless.

Yip so we lost 1-0 to St Mirren today...

Positives: Crighton & Milojevic look a great partnership at the back. The unusual Pairing of Miller & O'Ware in the midfield were really good and got stuck in. Overall it was a decent performance against a Premiership side who offered nothing.

Negatives: Still lacking up top & now with an injury to McCluskey (hope its not serious) could be a major setback for us as we have nothing creative going forward.

Still hoping Duffy adds a few more attacking players to the squad in the next few weeks.

Presumably there will be a genuine, far less cringeworthy party to commemorate his fucking off.

I'm fully expecting the 'Don't Go Fred' banners to be out in force at next weekend's game.

So, word over on the Morton forum is that Fouad Bachirou may be heading off to join his former midfield partner Michael Tidser at Rotherham United.

Even more interestingly, we will apparently be signing Mark Millar as his replacement.

I'd be absolutely shocked if we signed someone like Millar. Surely he'd easily find a club much higher up the chain than us? He played as a trialist for St Johnstone today.

There's a huge difference between a player not re-signing when he "has nowhere to go" and a player signing for a club at a much higher level where he will earn a vastly increased wage. IF Fred is about to be transferred to Rotherham then I wish him well.

However it will prove beyond any shadow of doubt that those who have managed to take Rotherham up to their present position know nothing about spotting a footballer compared to the self styled "Most Influential Poster in P&B History" who rates him as useless.

Archived