Clyde Fc 2014-15

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easily the last genuinely top-class player this country's produced, and likely will for the forseeable.

Seriously? I know this opens up a whole new debate, but you really think that Barry's "easily" the best to have played during the last six years (was he really that superior to the the three current 'keepers, Darren Fletcher or Scott Brown?) - without being blinkered I never thought of Barry as being "top class" when compared to Durrant for example (likewise I never rated McStay that highly either)

Seriously? I know this opens up a whole new debate, but you really think that Barry's "easily" the best to have played during the last six years (was he really that superior to the the three current 'keepers, Darren Fletcher or Scott Brown?) - without being blinkered I never thought of Barry as being "top class" when compared to Durrant for example (likewise I never rated McStay that highly either)

well said mate

totally n utterly spot on

^ no punctuation in sight.

(Hiya john mckay)

No, surely not?!?!?

Let me have it right.....you want a straight up conversation...........with me....?? Ok, i'll take you to school. I never said 'six years' (he actually hasn't appeared since March 2009 for what its worth), nor any time frame. I simply said 'last'. In the vein that Lambert preceded him, Collins him, McAllister him, so on and so on. The players you mention are laughable comparisons, within the context of the quality of their play. Especially the goalkeepers. Gordon i'll accept as a valid opinion, but i'll disagree he was as much on that level as Ferguson was, but he is and always was head and shoulders above the other two, who really shouldn't be anywhere near this discussion. Being among the best of the Scottish players isn't something that's been that hard nor really an ambition for anyone in the last twenty years, and the likes of Brown and Fletcher being the stalwarts they are is a consequence of that. There's always a missed or late tackle that 'they'd get away with in the UK', always a man unmarked or a pocket of space their 'boundless energy' seems to prevent them snuffing out when it matters, but they're always there, at the scene of the crime, hands on hips wondering 'why us??'. Even the likes of the win in Paris was down to Fletcher (predictable, slow-it-down Fletcher) going off and Pearson coming on and terrorising Vieira. Which brings me too Wur Barry. On many occasions i witnessed masterclasses at Hampden against Michael Ballack, Edgar Davids, Andrea Pirlo and Gattusso (twice), Vieira and Makelele, Tymoschuk, Gago and Mascherano, and being on the losing side twice...including having several of them substituted. On club matters, Brown should, according to the ridiculous press surrounding him, be challenging McNeill as most-decorated Celt, but has instead been part of a decrepit Celtic side in a crumbling Scottish scene which has thrown away three trebles virtually handed to them on a plate. A testament not only to his bang-averageness, but how low the expectation has gotten of the 'stars' in our game. Ferguson, who played in a largely eachy-peachy era of Old Firm profligacy and international-superstar Jones's upmanship, averaged a double every other year on top of a basic league or cup.....testament to the drive and ambition which leaves him as our last great player. You can have this lesson for free Spidey.

Utter shite Shaggro I know many Rangers fans who didn't rate Ferguson that highly. Scott Brown is a top class player who has done it for Scotland as well as Celtic. Barry sideways on the other hand turned his back on his country and flicked v signs to the TV cameras. It doesn't surprise me you'd stick up for him at its the kind of thing you'd probably do.

No, surely not?!?!?

Let me have it right.....you want a straight up conversation...........with me....?? Ok, i'll take you to school. I never said 'six years' (he actually hasn't appeared since March 2009 for what its worth), nor any time frame. I simply said 'last'. In the vein that Lambert preceded him, Collins him, McAllister him, so on and so on. The players you mention are laughable comparisons, within the context of the quality of their play. Especially the goalkeepers. Gordon i'll accept as a valid opinion, but i'll disagree he was as much on that level as Ferguson was, but he is and always was head and shoulders above the other two, who really shouldn't be anywhere near this discussion. Being among the best of the Scottish players isn't something that's been that hard nor really an ambition for anyone in the last twenty years, and the likes of Brown and Fletcher being the stalwarts they are is a consequence of that. There's always a missed or late tackle that 'they'd get away with in the UK', always a man unmarked or a pocket of space their 'boundless energy' seems to prevent them snuffing out when it matters, but they're always there, at the scene of the crime, hands on hips wondering 'why us??'. Even the likes of the win in Paris was down to Fletcher (predictable, slow-it-down Fletcher) going off and Pearson coming on and terrorising Vieira. Which brings me too Wur Barry. On many occasions i witnessed masterclasses at Hampden against Michael Ballack, Edgar Davids, Andrea Pirlo and Gattusso (twice), Vieira and Makelele, Tymoschuk, Gago and Mascherano, and being on the losing side twice...including having several of them substituted. On club matters, Brown should, according to the ridiculous press surrounding him, be challenging McNeill as most-decorated Celt, but has instead been part of a decrepit Celtic side in a crumbling Scottish scene which has thrown away three trebles virtually handed to them on a plate. A testament not only to his bang-averageness, but how low the expectation has gotten of the 'stars' in our game. Ferguson, who played in a largely eachy-peachy era of Old Firm profligacy and international-superstar Jones's upmanship, averaged a double every other year on top of a basic league or cup.....testament to the drive and ambition which leaves him as our last great player. You can have this lesson for free Spidey.

He was a not bad player but "masterclasses" against Ballack, Pirlo, Gattuso and Davids? That's a huge exaggeration even without mentioning that we won virtually none of these games where he was dishing out these masterclasses. And Gago and Mascherano? Are you referring to a friendly that he played less than an hour in that we also lost? No offence but you cannot be totally serious here.

A better player than Brown - I wouldn't disagree with that but you are vastly overrating Ferguson or underrating those Scots who played in England for reasonable lengths of time rather than running back to their comfort zone when they played in a team that didn't have the odds stacked massively in their favour.

I dare say he averaged a double every other year because he played for a team involved in a two horse race

How many doubles has the lauded Broon-eye clocked up in a one-horse race, then?? In his time at Celtic, national Cups must have just miraculously fallen into the hands of Hearts, Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, St.Mirren Aberdeen and St.Johnstone because they must be great teams then....a flat NO on that score. Only one of the above has subsequently played in a final playoff round in representing our country in Europe......testament to how poor they are, and that a fully attuned international-class Celtic captain would do the utmost to ensure his team would win instead. Particularly with no Kinning Park in sight. Whilst Ferguson was strutting around the parks of Scotland, only Hearts and Hibs pocketed trophies....and one of those two threatened to wrestle the title off the Old Firm....TWICE.....On the subject of opinions re Ferguson, it's absolutely fine to think he was good, pish or otherwise......but to even joke that jesters like Brown and Fletcher exerted as much quality on that stage in a Scotland shirt is strait-jaikit material. UG is using a bit of a typical atomic bomb example of the Rangers' fans disdain of him, largely because he was a p***k for a sizable chunk of his career. The guy is acutely aware of this, and rightly doesnt need to worry about it, because he's a fucking millionaire with a house full of medals. We're not talking popularity contests here, its a quality of product, people make the same distinctions with Duncan Disorderly and Maureen Johnston not being as 'good' as likeable quiet boys like Kevin Gallacher and Billy Dodds. Had they and their situations been managed correctly, perhaps we wouldn't have went tumbling out of group stages every two years and maybe not waited nearly twenty years to get back to one.

How many doubles has the lauded Broon-eye clocked up in a one-horse race, then?? In his time at Celtic, national Cups must have just miraculously fallen into the hands of Hearts, Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, St.Mirren Aberdeen and St.Johnstone because they must be great teams then....a flat NO on that score. Only one of the above has subsequently played in a final playoff round in representing our country in Europe......testament to how poor they are, and that a fully attuned international-class Celtic captain would do the utmost to ensure his team would win instead. Particularly with no Kinning Park in sight. Whilst Ferguson was strutting around the parks of Scotland, only Hearts and Hibs pocketed trophies....and one of those two threatened to wrestle the title off the Old Firm....TWICE.....On the subject of opinions re Ferguson, it's absolutely fine to think he was good, pish or otherwise......but to even joke that jesters like Brown and Fletcher exerted as much quality on that stage in a Scotland shirt is strait-jaikit material. UG is using a bit of a typical atomic bomb example of the Rangers' fans disdain of him, largely because he was a p***k for a sizable chunk of his career. The guy is acutely aware of this, and rightly doesnt need to worry about it, because he's a fucking millionaire with a house full of medals. We're not talking popularity contests here, its a quality of product, people make the same distinctions with Duncan Disorderly and Maureen Johnston not being as 'good' as likeable quiet boys like Kevin Gallacher and Billy Dodds. Had they and their situations been managed correctly, perhaps we wouldn't have went tumbling out of group stages every two years and maybe not waited nearly twenty years to get back to one.

For me Darren Fletcher is by far the best player we have had in recent times, sorry 2 the scott brown fans, but not for me.

If that wee b*****d deffoe hadnt taken craig gordon out the game and ruined a large chunk o his career then he might o went on 2 be an all time great..........and i still think he is 2 good for celtic.

Wee barry, yea decent, but never a great, and any respect he was due went out the window with his "salute" 2 the watching public in the scotland game v iceland

Archived