The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

10 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

I'd suggest we benefited greatly from McInnes' time down south at Bristol City - he arguably came back a better manager and certainly came back with a better contacts book. Had a lot to prove too, whereas I think Wright would just be a safe appointment with echoes of Calderwood. Like JC, we'd be the biggest club Wright would ever manage.

I'd perhaps look more favourably on Wright if he'd built on the solid and stuffy team he built and decided to take a risk and make them an exciting, expansive team to watch. Doesn't seem to have done so from what I can see.

Why's that? If he came here, and after 4 years had been a success like McInnes surely a club in England would be interested. 

6 minutes ago, thepundit said:

I was very disappointed when Rangers chose Caixinha instead of McLeish. Yet Dons fans don't rate him.

Absolutely baffling.

If you were to actually examine his career beyond his time at Rangers you'd be less baffled.

ETA - Your point about his playing career with Aberdeen is an absolute irrelevance to his credentials as manager.

His time managing Rangers is also irrelevant.  That is totally different circumstances working with a transfer budget that far exceeds 10 out of the other 11 teams.

Birmingham? Fail

Villa? Fail

Genk? Fail

Egyptian team? Fail

Scotland, relatively good but most notable for parking the bus against a France side on the decline.  Should really be judged on the embarrassment in Georgia in the same campaign.  Fail.

In conclusion - no thanks

Edited by Dons_1988

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

If you were to actually examine his career beyond his time at Rangers you'd be less baffled.

ETA - Your point about his playing career with Aberdeen is an absolute irrelevance to his credentials as manager.

His time managing Rangers is also irrelevant.  That is totally different circumstances working with a transfer budget that far exceeds 10 out of the other 11 teams.

Birmingham? Fail

Villa? Fail

Genk? Fail

Egyptian team? Fail

Scotland, relatively good but most notable for parking the bus against a France side on the decline.  Should really be judged on the embarrassment in Georgia in the same campaign.  Fail.

Can I just chip in and say that McLeish absolutely dismantled the best Motherwell side I've ever seen and spent a fortune doing so (approx £2m).

3 hours ago, Karl Fletcher said:

Great news, even though some of his ideas regarding Scottish Football have been a bit batshit in the past.

I'm sure after he left Aberdeen he suggested setting up a new Club called Ecosse FC aimed at getting support from Scotland fans who aren't necessarily attached to a Club side :huh:

He is indeed a bit of a curate's egg.  But I'll nail my colours to the mast and say, he's a great appointment.

I met him when he was Chief Exec at the Dons.  He came across as an absolute straight shooter.  I was complaining about the fact that we were about to lose the mercurial talents of David Rowson to Stoke (STOKE FFS)!

He was surprisingly open and set me straight on where Aberdeen's spending power sat in comparison to Stoke (STOKE FFS)!  Stoke at that time were offering David Rowson roughly triple what Aberdeen's average first team salary was.  (Remember Stoke were in the THIRD TIER of the English leagues at the time).  To match their offer would have made David Rowson the highest paid player at the club (ahead of the likes of Jess, Bernard, SuperKev, Winters etc.)

Not only that, he also told me that Aberdeen had been told by the bank in no uncertain terms to sort their shyt out, and that the bank wouldn't support continual losses.  (at the time Aberdeen were losing between £1.5m and £3.6m p.a. IIRC).

I was very impressed that he was so candid and straight forward.  SO FAR SO GOOD!

However after he returned to the States and as per the quote, he did have a bit of a brain fart about a new Ecosse FC team that would travel around the country like the Highland Globetrotters playing at various stadiums attracting 'untapped' supporters who had previously only had an interest in football at international level?!

He also championed the merger of many clubs for example the proposed Dundee Club would be the merger of not only Dundee and Utd, but also Arbroath, Montrose and probably St Johnstone (I can't remember exactly).

Now I can see the logic of merging smaller clubs to make much bigger clubs (I don't think it's a linear progression or necessarily works, but I can see the logic). However Ecosse FC!  Now that is brave/mental!

Now I'm hoping he was just trying to start debate, rather than thinking it was a goer, but because it was written down (I think the document was called 'Football the brave' or other such nonsense) it's hard to know how serious he was being.

So after all that waffle, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was just being provocative.  So welcome aboard chiel!

Yours

aDONis

Edited by aDONisSheep

Why's that? If he came here, and after 4 years had been a success like McInnes surely a club in England would be interested. 

McInnes only now getting mentioned seriously for jobs down there despite being superb for us.

Even if he replicates McInnes, an almost 60 year old Wright nowhere near as attractive surely, in terms of both looks and managerial status.

27 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Birmingham? Fail

Villa? Fail

Genk? Fail

Egyptian team? Fail

He had a much higher win ratio at Genk and in Egypt than McInnes has. (and Tommy Wright)

Not sure how you can say his time at Rangers is irrelevant. He was up against a team with far more money at won 7 trophies in 3 seasons. And you think that's irrelevant?...

Edited by thepundit

3 minutes ago, thepundit said:

He had a much higher win ratio at Genk and in Egypt than McInnes has at Aberdeen. (and Tommy Wright)

Not sure how you can say his time at Rangers is irrelevant. He was up against a team with far more money at won 7 trophies in 3 seasons. And you think that's irrelevant?...

From Wiki - 

Genk - 35 matches with 18 wins = 51.43%

McInnes at Aberdeen - 200 matches with 116 wins = 58%

Now it is Wiki so need to be taken with a pinch of salt.  In fairnes he did have a 60% win rate in Egypt but only managed 10 games.

1 minute ago, The Minertaur said:

From Wiki - 

Genk - 35 matches with 18 wins = 51.43%

McInnes at Aberdeen - 200 matches with 116 wins = 58%

Now it is Wiki so need to be taken with a pinch of salt.  In fairnes he did have a 60% win rate in Egypt but only managed 10 games.

Apologies. Meant McInnes in his career.

6 minutes ago, thepundit said:

He had a much higher win ratio at Genk and in Egypt than McInnes has at Aberdeen. (and Tommy Wright)

Irrelevant is maybe a bit over the top.  

But it is incomparable.  Alex Mcleish would have no transfer budget coming into Aberdeen (or EBT's to offer :rolleyes:).  I don't know the veracity of your claim re Celtic having far more money but I would suspect it isn't comparable to having no transfer budget.  I'm sorry but I just don't place that much weight on winning trophies during that period of being an old firm manager.

His performances with Birmingham/Villa etc I find far more relevant.  I.e. when he has a budget comparable to the rest of his respective league his record is distinctly unimpressive.  

23 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Irrelevant is maybe a bit over the top.  

But it is incomparable.  Alex Mcleish would have no transfer budget coming into Aberdeen (or EBT's to offer :rolleyes:).  I don't know the veracity of your claim re Celtic having far more money but I would suspect it isn't comparable to having no transfer budget.  I'm sorry but I just don't place that much weight on winning trophies during that period of being an old firm manager.

His performances with Birmingham/Villa etc I find far more relevant.  I.e. when he has a budget comparable to the rest of his respective league his record is distinctly unimpressive.  

Just for clarity, in his 5 full seasons at Rangers (2001/02 to 2005/06) they spent more than us on transfer fees (only by about half a million though). He also spent £6.5m more than us on wages in his first 2 seasons. (he won 5 of those 7 trophies in those 2 seasons).

His final two trophies came in 2004/05 where he spent £10m more than us on transfer fees. Although we did spend about £10m more on wages that season so pretty even that year.

Just for clarity, in his 5 full seasons at Rangers (2001/02 to 2005/06) they spent more than us on transfer fees (only by about half a million though). He also spent £6.5m more than us on wages in his first 2 seasons. (he won 5 of those 7 trophies in those 2 seasons).
His final two trophies came in 2004/05 where he spent £10m more than us on transfer fees. Although we did spend about £10m more on wages that season so pretty even that year.

So essentially he was part of the old firm duopoly of the time and really his time there isn't comparable to what he would face as an Aberdeen manager.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

So essentially he was part of the old firm duopoly of the time and really his time there isn't comparable to what he would face as an Aberdeen manager.

Yes absolutely.

Personally, I still think he could be a good appointment for you but can understand why folk don't want him.