The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Christie has to play central. He is better than McLean there, just look at the assists and goals he gets compared to when McLean played there.

McLean can be excellent but he's too inconsistent. Christie is the superior player for me and is wasted on the wing.

100 percent agree with this, why stick our best player out of position where he struggles to find form.

You only have to look at Christie’s impact against Dundee and compare that with him playing central against Partick.

Mclean is a good player but stats don’t lie, Christie is much more effective playing the 10 role than him and should stay there all season.

I'd guess at Ball being played as more of a conventional #6, similar to Jack. If Shinnie and Logan are at full-back, this will see him dropping into a back three when those two are pushed further forward. Tansey and McLean can do a job together, but both are more instinctively attack-orientated midfielders - and asking either of them to perform that role isn't the best use of their respective strengths. 

3 hours ago, Karl Fletcher said:

I remember the days where there would be meltdowns if we ever signed ex **** 

Deek has changed us 

I don't like all this happiness.

Bring back the good old days. Like when Mark McGhee gave our only full-back to Rangers in exchange for an injured centre-forward, to add to the 6 strikers we already had.

1 hour ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I don't like all this happiness.

Bring back the good old days. Like when Mark McGhee gave our only full-back to Rangers in exchange for an injured centre-forward, to add to the 6 strikers we already had.

That transfer triggered my first heads gone on here.  It was the game against Hearts and Velicka was useless.  He was blowing out of his arse after 20 minutes or something.  I wanted McGhee gone and some roasters on here we're like "Who'd you get to replace him?".  We had to endure McGhee for a few more months but thankfully he was gone before the damage was terminal.

51 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

That transfer triggered my first heads gone on here.  It was the game against Hearts and Velicka was useless.  He was blowing out of his arse after 20 minutes or something.  I wanted McGhee gone and some roasters on here we're like "Who'd you get to replace him?".  We had to endure McGhee for a few more months but thankfully he was gone before the damage was terminal.

His signings, Jesus Christ:

Jerel Ifil: Uber pish

Stuart Nelson: Pish

Davide Grassi: F*ck me

Jim Paterson: Adequate for half a dozen games and then got injured.

Steven MacLean: Adequate

Maurice Ross: Not bad, but unwilling to interrupt his round the world tour to play for us.

Paul Marshall: Pish

Andrius Velicka: Pish

Josh Magennis: I always argued he had all the attributes to be an effective Premiership striker (I based this on watching Sammon tear it up for Killie). He proved me right, just not with us.

Paul Hartley: Pish (possibly controversial)

Rory McArdle: Big, strong, solid, if uncultured, centre half. So of course McGhee played him at right-back.

Yoann Folly: Not bad, but then nearly died of a pulmonary embolism and had to retire.

Nikola Vujadinovic: Pish. Did once give me a huge laugh in a cup tie against St Mirren, when Brown brought him on with about 2 minutes left to help shore up the defence and see out the game. He came on, jogged into position, and then scored a tremendous diving header own goal with his first touch. :lol:

Mark Howard: Pish

I know we had no money then, but my God we signed some crap.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Genuinely had to look up Paul Marshall. Still can't remember him!

I have a vague memory of him being a very lightweight midfielder who didn't really do anything, when he was supposed to be a future superstar creative player from Man City's academy.

Although it probably didn't help him that our pitch resembled Paschendale at the time.

10 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

His signings, Jesus Christ:

Jerel Ifil: Uber pish

Stuart Nelson: Pish

Davide Grassi: F*ck me

Jim Paterson: Adequate for half a dozen games and then got injured.

Steven MacLean: Adequate

Maurice Ross: Not bad, but unwilling to interrupt his round the world tour to play for us.

Paul Marshall: Pish

Andrius Velicka: Pish

Josh Magennis: I always argued he had all the attributes to be an effective Premiership striker (I based this on watching Sammon tear it up for Killie). He proved me right, just not with us.

Paul Hartley: Pish (possibly controversial)

Rory McArdle: Big, strong, solid, if uncultured, centre half. So of course McGhee played him at right-back.

Yoann Folly: Not bad, but then nearly died of a pulmonary embolism and had to retire.

Nikola Vujadinovic: Pish. Did once give me a huge laugh in a cup tie against St Mirren, when Brown brought him on with about 2 minutes left to help shore up the defence and see out the game. He came on, jogged into position, and then scored a tremendous diving header own goal with his first touch. :lol:

Mark Howard: Pish

I know we had no money then, but my God we signed some crap.

Almost pissed myself laughing when I saw Vujadinovic playing in La Liga last season.  That game you mentioned was amazing.  We were cruising then sent him on and I've never seen a almost crumble because of a single substitution in such a short space of time.

Mark Howard, bloody hell.  People kept thinking how crap Langfield was but but we kept signing keepers who were worse then him!  I came so close to walking out of this game - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8986085.stm after 10 minutes.  We'd have been better off with a traffic cone starting in goals.

9 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Almost pissed myself laughing when I saw Vujadinovic playing in La Liga last season.  That game you mentioned was amazing.  We were cruising then sent him on and I've never seen a almost crumble because of a single substitution in such a short space of time.

Mark Howard, bloody hell.  People kept thinking how crap Langfield was but but we kept signing keepers who were worse then him!  I came so close to walking out of this game - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8986085.stm after 10 minutes.  We'd have been better off with a traffic cone starting in goals.

tenor.gif

I have a vague memory of him being a very lightweight midfielder who didn't really do anything, when he was supposed to be a future superstar creative player from Man City's academy.
Although it probably didn't help him that our pitch resembled Paschendale at the time.

I just spent a while trying to find a winning goal he scored at Tannadice to prove you wrong, turns out he only assisted the goal I was thinking of.

The most notable moment of his dons career came when his uncle came on to Aberdeen Mad and starting slagging off fans who were criticising his performances.

The 2007-2012 period was when though personal reasons I was able to attend most games. Now we are at the best we've been since I've been old enough to watch football I can go to fewer games than at any other point in my life. I'm pretty much convinced we will be shite again by the next time I'm regularly attending Dons games again.

11 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

My favourite was David Gonzalez. He looked the part, never made any obvious mistakes, and yet he never seemed to actually save anything. It was weird.