The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

McKenna ends the season as Scotland captain. 

If you'd have told me that at the start of the season I'd have thought you were one for the watching. Unbelievable rise for the loon. Maybe a lesson for McInnes to put a little more trust in our youngsters?

absolutely insane to end last season on the bench for Ayr not getting a game to be ending this season the way he has.

First pick for Aberdeen, 5 year contract, 4 caps and now captaining Scotland.

If the stars align nicely the Dons should be able to make a huge wedge off him. We'll need to carefully marry letting him develop further with striking while the iron is hot

absolutely insane to end last season on the bench for Ayr not getting a game to be ending this season the way he has.
First pick for Aberdeen, 5 year contract, 4 caps and now captaining Scotland.

If the stars align nicely the Dons should be able to make a huge wedge off him. We'll need to carefully marry letting him develop further with striking while the iron is hot

Also getting the most out of him for our team. Losing him this summer for a few million really does us no favours in the short term

If you'd have told me that at the start of the season I'd have thought you were one for the watching. Unbelievable rise for the loon. Maybe a lesson for McInnes to put a little more trust in our youngsters?

That alone doesn’t mean any of the youngsters should be fast tracked though. Youth cup final I was struggling to see anyone nearly ready enough to make the step up.

Gaffer sees them day in, day out and will know when the time is right. Deserves full credit for blooding McKenna too, would’ve been easy to ditch him when he wasn’t getting a game for Ayr, if the fabled “blind spot for youth” was actually a thing.

On 6/3/2018 at 09:11, RussellAnderson said:

Was watching Scott McKenna interview on RedTV a few weeks ago and it was mentioned he was playing golf on deadline day and missed about 15 calls from his agent to sign for Livingston - how things could have been so different.  I've do worry about the amount of games McKenna has played this season and I've seen so many players dip after the break through season. 

On to the few  youngsters: I've no idea what has happened to Scott Wright looked like he had ability last season but never really got a chance this season (lack of effort in training?).

Dean Campbell didn't look out of place against Celtic so hopefully will get a few more games next season and I've heard good things about the next batch coming through so hopefully we will see a few others in the first team. 

Edited by betting competition

you'd certainly excuse the signing of an experienced head or two (or a season loan or two) if the view is to bleed Campbell and Ferguson into the main core of 14-15 players by the end of the season.

Was watching Scott McKenna interview on RedTV a few weeks ago and it was mentioned he was playing golf on deadline day and missed about 15 calls from his agent to sign for Livingston - how things could have been so different.  I've do worry about the amount of games McKenna has played this season and I've seen so many players dip after the break through season. 
On to the few  youngsters: I've no idea what has happened to Scott Wright looked like he had ability last season but never really got a chance this season (lack of effort in training?).
Dean Campbell didn't look out of place against Celtic so hopefully will get a few more games next season and I've heard good things about the next batch coming through so hopefully we will see a few others in the first team. 

Scott McKenna is in the team because he showed he’s good enough and has produced it week in and week out.

It’s a great incentive for the younger players and I hope they grasp it but I am not one for just chucking in youngsters because that’s the done thing these days.

You pick a team each week to win the game. You could argue mcinnes should show more faith In youth but similarly the onus should be on the younger guys to prove they are worth that spot. McKenna is a shining example of that. If you can show yourself to be a starter when given the opportunity then the chances are there for you.

For me the burden of responsibility is on the young player to get into the first team, not the burden of mcinnes to “put more faith” in youth.

Genuine question, what are the actual rules here?

Surely if there are rules here regarding youth players then the amount we owe should just be straightforward?

£900k seems very very steep. I doubt we’d have pursued him if that was a realistic. Cost to us.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Genuine question, what are the actual rules here?

Surely if there are rules here regarding youth players then the amount we owe should just be straightforward?

£900k seems very very steep. I doubt we’d have pursued him if that was a realistic. Cost to us.

Accies have developed 8/9 years into making him the player he is.

£100k per year of development sounds fair to me. 

If the tribunal returns us anything over £350k I'll be happy.

Aberdeen first offered us approximately £100k :lol: cheeky b*****ds.

No wonder it's going to a tribunal.

Edited by Im_Rodger

Accies have developed 8/9 years into making him the player he is.
£100k per year of development sounds fair to me. 

Is this not quite scientific though? I.e we are due Hamilton a certain amount of cash for this one. Didn’t think there was much room for negotiation.

Admittedly I don’t know the technicality’s on this.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Is this not quite scientific though? I.e we are due Hamilton a certain amount of cash for this one. Didn’t think there was much room for negotiation.

It's not a set in stone figure. However generally clubs agree development fees before signing players.

Comparable value of similar players, years of development at  the club, how much medical resources the player has used and miscellaneous other things as well.

Dundee United and Rangers couldn't agree on Telfers dev fee because both clubs had different viewpoints on how much the club had invested into the player. Dundee United originally offered £100k to Rangers, Rangers refused and it went to a tribunal. The tribunal returned Rangers more than double what Dundee United put on the table. Dundee United's first offer was £0 as they did not recognise Rangers as the same club but that viewpoint was shortly after tossed out.

Edited by Im_Rodger

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

If you can be arsed then the actual rules are here. Pages 46-49.

How it's applied though? F**k knows. If it goes to tribunal you're looking at the Charlie Telfer situation as precedent where United ended up having to pay Rangers £204k. As the STV article says, that was more than double their original offer.

For a bit of context it was a point raised with us last summer when Hearts low-balled us with £100k for Cadden. IIRC Robinson said that we had worked out the development fee we'd be due and the figure we'd be due were he out of contract at the time would have been around £650k. 

I'm pretty sure there was a similar issue with Sibbald at Falkirk last season where no one was willing to pony up the cash that they'd have been due so he was in a kind of limbo and just ended up signing for another year.

Edited by capt_oats