The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Is he any good? Also is Virtanen likely to be involved in the first team this season wouldn't mind him on loan.

No idea he's played so little for us it's hard to judge and even the few games I saw him play on loan at Arbroath it looked like he was played out of position. Never saw him play for them starting up front.

I doubt Virtanen will get much of a chance either.

Edited by Rodhull

8 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Is he any good? Also is Virtanen likely to be involved in the first team this season wouldn't mind him on loan.

Ruth has hardly been seen in a Dons shirt, Arbroath fans might be able to enlighten you on how good or otherwise he is.

I think Ruth (when aberdeen sign another striker) and Virtanen will certainly be available on loan. Probably Barron too.

Are Falkirk still fulltime? League One obviously a step down for them but if it's full time then it might be a better bet than part time in the Championship.

44 minutes ago, d31 said:

I think Ruth (when aberdeen sign another striker) and Virtanen will certainly be available on loan. Probably Barron too.

Are Falkirk still fulltime? League One obviously a step down for them but if it's full time then it might be a better bet than part time in the Championship.

Yeah we're still full time. We need strikers as we only have 2 at the club currently so Ruth seems like the most likely option. We also need a centre mid capable of getting up and down the park as we've been immobile in there for years.

From what Abroath fans are saying Ruth was mostly used out on the wing for them so probably hard to judge him on that loan. Hopefully makes a nuisance of himself and runs the channels well.

Edited by FFC 1876

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Ach, I understand it. Can't see it being a success though.

Why can you understand it though?

He’s been injured 2.5 years out of his 3 here & his record prior to us was poor too. He arrived injured. 

Complete waste of a wage & a new defender should’ve been signed. 

26 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Why can you understand it though?

He’s been injured 2.5 years out of his 3 here & his record prior to us was poor too. He arrived injured. 

Complete waste of a wage & a new defender should’ve been signed. 

He's already integrated and at one point was in the Scotland squad on merit. As a back up CB it probably appears to be a no-brainer for Glass.

It's not the decision I would have made but it's one player Glass hasn't had a look at.

There was also strong rumours that he wasn't injured for a lot of his spell here. He just didn't see eye to eye with the manager.

5 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

He's already integrated and at one point was in the Scotland squad on merit. As a back up CB it probably appears to be a no-brainer for Glass.

It's not the decision I would have made but it's one player Glass hasn't had a look at.

There was also strong rumours that he wasn't injured for a lot of his spell here. He just didn't see eye to eye with the manager.

Can't say I've ever heard that about Devlin and McInnes falling out but there might just be something in that.

You've got to question otherwise why any club would be continuing to pay a perma injured player by rewarding him with a new contract ?

3 hours ago, Sheep62 said:

Can't say I've ever heard that about Devlin and McInnes falling out but there might just be something in that.

You've got to question otherwise why any club would be continuing to pay a perma injured player by rewarding him with a new contract ?

There's been rumours on twitter and the hat since Devlin was capped by Scotland. Apparently came back with a honking attitude. Seen it on here too.

I'm not saying I would sign him. All I'm saying is I can see why a new manager would look at the level he's played previously and wants to see if he can get there again.

3 hours ago, Sheep62 said:

We (Motherwell) have done exactly that. The club have an (unofficial) policy that if a player is injured during their time here then we have a duty of care to rehab them. Essentially we won't cut a player loose in a worse condition than he arrived. In short, we feel it's the "right" thing to do to look after a player.

Recent examples of that are Craig Tanner and Charles Dunne.

To be clear, they're not being "rewarded" with a new contract, they'll be on a low wage and getting their expenses covered but they'll be getting rehab and facilities to get fit again.

I don't know enough about Devlin's situation to comment, I'd read the same rumour about him/McInnes that @Merkland Red mentioned and tbh, I half wondered if we might have looked at him as a Gallagher replacement given he's from Motherwell but if he's injured...f**k that.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

We (Motherwell) have done exactly that. The club have an (unofficial) policy that if a player is injured during their time here then we have a duty of care to rehab them. Essentially we won't cut a player loose in a worse condition than he arrived. In short, we feel it's the "right" thing to do to look after a player.

Recent examples of that are Craig Tanner and Charles Dunne.

To be clear, they're not being "rewarded" with a new contract, they'll be on a low wage and getting their expenses covered but they'll be getting rehab and facilities to get fit again.

I don't know enough about Devlin's situation to comment, I'd read the same rumour about him/McInnes that @Merkland Red mentioned and tbh, I half wondered if we might have looked at him as a Gallagher replacement given he's from Motherwell but if he's injured...f**k that.

To be fair we signed Devlin with a damaged cruciate ligament. It doesn't get much worse than that! Your reasoning is precisely why we gave facilities to Hoban before signing him last summer. Even if he didn't fancy it we were still going to get him up to speed.

On 28/06/2021 at 19:23, Merkland Red said:

I kind of know Gav Levey.  Used to live near me in Inverness when he worked for County alongside a mate of mine.  Good fun on the drink.