The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Never too early to sack a manager. Ask mad Vlad. Was looking up shortest managerial reigns today and hearts figure prominently.

Burley obviously (12 games) but a name I couldn't even remember was the shortest. Eugenijus Riabovas 2 games. 

Sauzee for Hibs as well. Barnes obviously (but that was just racist celtic fans that got rid of him. 🤔 )

8 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

What he's absolutely correct about is the decision making at the top end. Too often we are shooting when there's a pass on. Or trying to thread the ball through the eye of a needle whilst a shooting opportunity is on.

Look at the first goal from Saturday. Hedges should have been having a shot on goal there.

What has been blatantly obvious all season is the two centre halves get exposed when the two full backs are up the pitch (on instruction). 
A long diagonal and the opposition are in.

A simple solution; Play 3 central defenders if the full backs are pushed up.

Three players covering the width of the pitch as opposed to two. 

Interesting to note that in Ingerlund various health bodies are warning the Government of an impending crisis unless action is taken now to combat the current rise in the impact of Covid. The PM has declared that the statistics tell him everything is fine, no need to panic, we're doing everything right. I suspect his top advisor is presently one Mr Cormack.

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Never too early to sack a manager. Ask mad Vlad. Was looking up shortest managerial reigns today and hearts figure prominently.

Burley obviously (12 games) but a name I couldn't even remember was the shortest. Eugenijus Riabovas 2 games. 

Sauzee for Hibs as well. Barnes obviously (but that was just racist celtic fans that got rid of him. 🤔 )

I think “never too early to sack a manager” doesn’t really apply to Burley. In fact that example you give highlights the exact opposite. 

28 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I think “never too early to sack a manager” doesn’t really apply to Burley. In fact that example you give highlights the exact opposite. 

I wasn't actually highlighting him as someone who should have been sacked. Just that he was sacked after a short time. I was looking to see who lasted the shortest time regardless of results. Barnes had a 65% win rate but still got the boot. Burley had 75%.

Leroy Rosenior allegedly takes the prize for shortest ever stint, though it wasn't in Scotland. Sacked after 10.minutes so the story goes.

28 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I wasn't actually highlighting him as someone who should have been sacked. Just that he was sacked after a short time. I was looking to see who lasted the shortest time regardless of results. Barnes had a 65% win rate but still got the boot. Burley had 75%.

Leroy Rosenior allegedly takes the prize for shortest ever stint, though it wasn't in Scotland. Sacked after 10.minutes so the story goes.

Win rates are meaningless. It's posession stats you need. 

I finaly listened to the Cormack interview b4 work today, after reading much of the chat and views. I was braced for the very worst, and was pleasantly surprised. Sure, there was a lot of protecting Glass, some of which was questionable at best, but i liked it. I only hope, certainly not expect, that we get a result v Hibs and start to turn the corner. #preparefortheworsthopeforthebest

Stand Free [emoji120]

I see Glass has now commented on the interview. Lifted his quotes from the Daily Record so you can see what he's said without their sensationalism around it:

"There’s a group of people who put me in charge of this club and believe in me and the staff I have put together amidst a lot of outside influences who want to twist it a certain way.

"I listened to the show the other night. I don’t listen to anything else but I knew he was going to be on it.

"It sounded very much like they were pushing the chairman towards saying he should be sacking me. But he held strong to his belief that we are the right group of people to lead the club and the players are capable of getting ourselves out of the hole that we’re in at the moment. The support is appreciated. I hope to repay it.

"The fuel that we’ve got is trying to prove people right - not prove people wrong. The positive influences in my life are the people I’m trying to prove right. That’s how I work."

Asked why there would be an agenda to have him sacked, Glass replied: ”It comes from an opportunity to kick a club when it is down, I think that is where it comes from.

"I think any fair-minded person who switched on the radio, as I did having not listened to a radio show for years, and it gets introduced and you hear all the goals going in against you, and you hear the stats being read out, it is pretty clear what the agenda is there.

“I know there are a lot of right-minded people in the media and there are a lot of people who are shock jocks if you like, and their job is to provoke and make noise. If it is not me it will be another manager. It is pretty evident there are people out there and that’s their job.

“But only we can change the results and only we can change people’s ability to question us like that.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-glass-unloads-aberdeen-shock-25262366.amp?

Nothing as insane as Cormack came out with there, but I did chuckle at "the stats being read out, it is pretty clear what the agenda is there."

If stating objective facts about a football club's results can be interpreted as an agenda against a manager, it tells you something about the performance of that manager.

13 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

What has been blatantly obvious all season is the two centre halves get exposed when the two full backs are up the pitch (on instruction). 
A long diagonal and the opposition are in.

A simple solution; Play 3 central defenders if the full backs are pushed up.

Three players covering the width of the pitch as opposed to two. 

I've posted several times in the last couple of weeks that both full backs charging up the pitch is causing issue and the solution could be as simple as one of them tucking in to make a back three while the other pushes on.

18 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I see Glass has now commented on the interview. Lifted his quotes from the Daily Record so you can see what he's said without their sensationalism around it:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-glass-unloads-aberdeen-shock-25262366.amp?

Nothing as insane as Cormack came out with there, but I did chuckle at "the stats being read out, it is pretty clear what the agenda is there."

If stating objective facts about a football club's results can be interpreted as an agenda against a manager, it tells you something about the performance of that manager.

In fairness to him, I wouldn’t expect him to say much different. 

There clearly is a media ‘agenda’ to create noise around his job but it’s nothing more sinister than he is clearly the worst performing manager in the league at one of the bigger clubs so it’s newsworthy. 

26 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I've posted several times in the last couple of weeks that both full backs charging up the pitch is causing issue and the solution could be as simple as one of them tucking in to make a back three while the other pushes on.

This has been obvious since Dundee United pumped us out the SC, hasn’t it? 

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This has been obvious since Dundee United pumped us out the SC, hasn’t it? 

If we're still playing like we did in that game, I'm amazed we've been able to amass 8 points, tbh.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

In fairness to him, I wouldn’t expect him to say much different. 

There clearly is a media ‘agenda’ to create noise around his job but it’s nothing more sinister than he is clearly the worst performing manager in the league at one of the bigger clubs so it’s newsworthy. 

Glass and Cormack can bang on all they want, but they can never escape the fact that we're in this position because results have been brutal. 

That's all that counts. 

The hunesque/Mad Vlad ranting at journalists, and moonhowling about posession and 'data' insults the supporters and is an embarrassment to the club. 

Instead of building walls to keep criticism out, just put a team out on the park that win fucking games. If Glass can't do that, he needs to either jump or be pushed. 

It's really as simple as that. 

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Glass and Cormack can bang on all they want, but they can never escape the fact that we're in this position because results have been brutal. 

That's all that counts. 

The hunesque/Mad Vlad ranting at journalists, and moonhowling about posession and 'data' insults the supporters and is an embarrassment to the club. 

Instead of building walls to keep criticism out, just put a team out on the park that win fucking games. If Glass can't do that, he needs to either jump or be pushed. 

It's really as simple as that. 

I don’t think glass has said anything particularly wrong. He’s in a difficult position personally. 

The rest of your post is just stating the obvious really. 

25 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t think glass has said anything particularly wrong. He’s in a difficult position personally. 

The rest of your post is just stating the obvious really. 

It doesn't seem to be obvious to certain people...

What I find odd is that many appear to forget the goals we've actually conceded in the league THIS season (possibly too painful!), surely the best barometer to judge our defence. I've lost count the number of times I've heard it's all because the young fullbacks are bombing forward together, leaving the CBs exposed and the only ones left defending. Not true.

Where we have been vulnerable is when our keeper has had the ball, the starting position of both Ramsey and Mackenzie is approaching half way and we immediately lose possession. When you look at the 13 league goals we've conceded, there are three goals where the initial starting position of the FBs may have been a contributing factor; the first Motherwell goal, the first Celtic goal and the St Mirren first (Joe's poor kick). Goals where the ball is immediately pinged back by the opposition as a result of careless distribution by the keeper or CBs. The FBs are advanced (it only needs to be by a few yards) and cannot influence play. On every occasion the CBs have failed to deal with it (they should have, although fair play, two were from the terrific crosses). Certainly something to improve on there. The Motherwell first goal is a good example.

Sorry to break the news, but there's been arguably no goals scored in this way. It's a complete myth. Who actually started this? The only goal from a long ball was on Saturday, but that was a result of Bates trying to play offside rather than do the simple thing and deal with it (some may think MacKenzie should have been back with Bates too - fair point). At a push that's only one goal. Most goals conceded have been a result of poor decision making, poor goalkeeping, not tracking back by midfielders/wingers and just general shit play. Joe's errors, Fergie's duck, Dec's penalty, Bate's St Mirren horror show, collective team cluster fucks like Celtic's 2nd, Dundee's 2nd, May drifting past everyone...it goes on.

It appears folk just want to rewrite history, or just don't watch all the games (like your typical pundit). Looking at the stats and the average position of the FBs on Saturday (suggesting this is typical) is totally misleading looked in isolation....we're two down, they're clearly going to bomb forward and try to get us back in the game.

Anyway, I expect us to win 2-1 against Hibs, conceding a penalty from a corner.....but reported as a result of the fullbacks bombing forward 🙂

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Sheepster said:

What I find odd is that many appear to forget the goals we've actually conceded in the league THIS season (possibly too painful!), surely the best barometer to judge our defence. I've lost count the number of times I've heard it's all because the young fullbacks are bombing forward together, leaving the CBs exposed and the only ones left defending. Not true.

Where we have been vulnerable is when our keeper has had the ball, the starting position of both Ramsey and Mackenzie is approaching half way and we immediately lose possession. When you look at the 13 league goals we've conceded, there are three goals where the initial starting position of the FBs may have been a contributing factor; the first Motherwell goal, the first Celtic goal and the St Mirren first (Joe's poor kick). Goals where the ball is immediately pinged back by the opposition as a result of careless distribution by the keeper or CBs. The FBs are advanced (it only needs to be by a few yards) and cannot influence play. On every occasion the CBs have failed to deal with it (they should have, although fair play, two were from the terrific crosses). Certainly something to improve on there. The Motherwell first goal is a good example.

Sorry to break the news, but there's been arguably no goals scored in this way. It's a complete myth. Who actually started this? The only goal from a long ball was on Saturday, but that was a result of Bates trying to play offside rather than do the simple thing and deal with it (some may think MacKenzie should have been back with Bates too - fair point). At a push that's only one goal. Most goals conceded have been a result of poor decision making, poor goalkeeping, not tracking back by midfielders/wingers and just general shit play. Joe's errors, Fergie's duck, Dec's penalty, Bate's St Mirren horror show, collective team cluster fucks like Celtic's 2nd, Dundee's 2nd, May drifting past everyone...it goes on.

It appears folk just want to rewrite history, or just don't watch all the games (like your typical pundit). Looking at the stats and the average position of the FBs on Saturday (suggesting this is typical) is totally misleading looked in isolation....we're two down, they're clearly going to bomb forward and try to get us back in the game.

Anyway, I expect us to win 2-1 against Hibs, conceding a penalty from a corner.....but reported as a result of the fullbacks bombing forward 🙂

We also lose goals because of an inability to move the ball forwards quickly enough. The defence and midfield spend so much time with sideways passes or 3 yard one/two's that the opposition have inevitably re-grouped in front of us. 

10 seconds later we have a midfielder losing the ball in the centre circle with his back to the oppositgoal, and our defence is exposed.

In short, not only are we shite at defending, we're pretty awful at attacking as well. 

3 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Was about to post the same thing.

Big step in the right direction. His work is very good.

What is it about his work that is very good? What experience does he have?  Playing Devils Advocate slightly here as can see huge benefits in going in this direction.