The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

34 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I see Minijc is teasing Josh Ginnelly has been offered a contract. Can't see it myself.

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 5.11.37 AM.png

I've heard this also.

25 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Can't see it, not certain I'd want him to be honest, but almost worth it for the seethe it would cause them by being put in their place

Exactly my thoughts.

You could see an argument for offering Ginnelly a whacking big contract as it would (whisper it) start to clear the path for selling Duk in August or January.

I would fully expect Ginnelly to head to the english championship though but we can certainly afford to offer him terms to blow Hearts and League One out of the water.

2 hours ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that Shinnie & Clarkson are back at Pittodrie, but one of the fundamental issues in "bigger" games last season was our utterly woeful ball-retention, particularly in transitions, and I'm not sure that's going to improve a great deal if we're going with the same midfield trio again this season. Shinnie and Ramadani might be decent ball-winners, but their passing accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.

However, the whole team needs to do better in possession, not just the midfield, and hopefully we're looking to bring in players with a bit more technical ability than some of those that have departed. Williams might be an upgrade on Pollock in that respect, but could be weaker defensively, and Sokler might be more suited to coming short and holding the ball than either Miovski in games where we might expect to have less of the ball (particularly away in Europe).

As has been said above, we probably need at least 1 more option in every area of the team, but another central defender (even assuming Scales will be back), a left-sided wing back, plus another creative midfielder should be priorities

I think it’s unfair on the midfielders to criticise their ball retention when that's not what they're being asked to do.  BR's been quite open about wanting the ball moved forward quickly. It's a high risk, high reward strategy. 

Personally i think that persevering with that approach against better teams where we'll lose possession 90% of the time is counterproductive and boneheaded but it's the manager doing it, not the staff.  Fairly sure all three could find a safe sideyways pass if they were told to. 

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Actually I think the midfield 3 is very good for this level, it’s the depth behind it that got badly exposed during shinnie’s lengthy suspension towards the end of the season. 

I think it’s also yet to be seen if Nicky devlin is an adequate replacement for mccrorie up the right hand side, again somewhere we got exposed during his injury. 

I agree, I'm more excited about this season than any since the early 1990s but to have a successful season we need depth in the squad and that depth must be of a high standard or the season I'm looking forward to could develop into unpleasantness...

2 hours ago, d31 said:

It'll be interesting to see what formations are used in pre season

^This. Do we stick or twist?

1 hour ago, Sheep62 said:

Can't see it, not certain I'd want him to be honest, but almost worth it for the seethe it would cause them by being put in their place

Ginnelly is a rowie enjoyer who knew exactly whats up long before the season ended.

Would be hilarious tho! Could do a job as squad player, abit like that Baccus chap at St mirren.

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I agree, I'm more excited about this season than any since the early 1990s but to have a successful season we need depth in the squad and that depth must be of a high standard or the season I'm looking forward to could develop into unpleasantness...

Aye, I’m not negative about it. I just think we’re a fair bit away from where we need to be. 

Early days for me to be feeling strongly either way. 

7 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Aberdeen v Celtic scheduled for Saturday 12 August, will likely be moved for TV but, regardless do the Dons have a European match the preceding Thursday meaning it will be put back to the Sunday?

Doesn't look like it: 

39 minutes ago, resk said:

Doesn't look like it: 

Its good you have put this up for supporters of other clubs. You would think the SPFL putting the fixtures out would look at the dates Aberdeen are involved in europe and move the games to a Sunday. Aberdeen have notified fans that these games are likely to be move. 

Edited by betting competition

40 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Aberdeen v Celtic scheduled for Saturday 12 August, will likely be moved for TV but, regardless do the Dons have a European match the preceding Thursday meaning it will be put back to the Sunday?

The EL playoff begins end of august so no, in short. 

Just curious to see if others think making a move for Baccus (St Mirren accepted 275k) and/or Dylan Levitt (Utd want 500k) is a good idea? Hibs are after both while hearts are only after Dylan Levitt. 

I also wonder if the potential sale of lewis Ferguson this window would alter our recruitment this transfer window.

13 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Just curious to see if others think making a move for Baccus (St Mirren accepted 275k) and/or Dylan Levitt (Utd want 500k) is a good idea? Hibs are after both while hearts are only after Dylan Levitt. 

I also wonder if the potential sale of lewis Ferguson this window would alter our recruitment this transfer window.

We’ve already got four quality centre mids. If we’ve got money to spend then I’d rather invest it in a left centre back or full back. If Barron leaves then it might be a different story.

41 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

We’ve already got four quality centre mids. If we’ve got money to spend then I’d rather invest it in a left centre back or full back. If Barron leaves then it might be a different story.

100%

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Both good players but if we're taking anyone from either I'd hope it's an Australian full back.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

When we’ll be playing three centre mids (if using last years 3-1-4-2) then we need more than 4.