The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Does seem like a strategic decision to rely on Hayes. He possibly feels in a summer of upheaval that left back is notoriously difficult to recruit well in and he’s got someone he trusts already. 

I think that’s a very big mistake if I’m honest but it’s his call and he’ll live and die by it. Hope it works out. 

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Does seem like a strategic decision to rely on Hayes. He possibly feels in a summer of upheaval that left back is notoriously difficult to recruit well in and he’s got someone he trusts already. 

I think that’s a very big mistake if I’m honest but it’s his call and he’ll live and die by it. Hope it works out. 

Completely agree.

It’s really disappointing to be reliant on a declining 36 year old as first choice left wing back. 
This new lad McGarry has nothing on his CV to suggest he’s going to dislodge Hayes.

I’d have said in a 3-5-2 the wing backs are vital to the effectiveness of the system working. 
To be relying on Hayes in the majority of the big games we’ll have is poor judgement on Robson’s part IMO.

FWIW

Ramadani

Spoiler

ramadamadingdong.thumb.png.94360d20f4a4a7955a4f0cc47f61e56a.png

No real standout ability but also no weakness, would suggest if you compare him solely v the league over 1 season he'd be far more impressive looking, which is likely what clubs after him are doing.

McGarry

Spoiler

mcgarry.thumb.png.4dd642a6faf23d06c2fcf8760d043a88.png

Honestly not sure I've ever seen a bad chart from an Australian player. Think the leagues just filled with dross sides so the players at good sides have their numbers padded.

Kind of looks Shaun Rooney-esque this.

6 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Aberdeen legend Andy Considine bows out as veteran centre-back ends 18-year  Pittodrie career - Aberdeen Live

He sums up our situation nicely.

Completely and utterly done yet it seems like hes our best CB.

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

Devlin is probably at his ceiling but he's a good player at this level, in spite of his dip in form post-WC.

To say Rowles and Atkinson have struggled with the step up in physicality would be an understatement. Aside from it obviously being a poorer level, that would be my biggest concern with signing Aussie-based defenders.

I do recall Devlin doing very well in his first season and for what its worth I think Nieuwenhof will be a very good signing (and very possible a step up on Devlin) for Hearts. Your other target Sammy Silveria looked a promising player too. Clearly good players to found in the A-League.

However I have to agree that the defensive recruitments we've seen SPL sides make from the A-League just appear physically overwhelmed by the Scottish game. Atkinson looks good going forward but weak physically. And whenever I think of Rowles, I just remember Main man handling him at Tynecastle.  I'm anticipating much the same from McGarry in an Aberdeen top, unfortunately. I just hope the fee we've paid isn't that great. I really hope to eat humble pie as McGarry proves me wrong.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

https://www.aberdeenlive.news/sport/football/football-news/aberdeen-accept-11million-ylber-ramadani-8649462

That's Ramadani off. 1.2 million GBP (according to P&J). Btw we paid less than 100k for him.

Well if the rumours are true his replacement may very well be a Balkan with some height. Let's see.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

15 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

https://www.aberdeenlive.news/sport/football/football-news/aberdeen-accept-11million-ylber-ramadani-8649462

That's Ramadani off. 1.1 million GBP.

Well if the rumours are true his replacement may very well be a Balkan with some height. Let's see.

If its true its a decent bit of business for us! I liked him but he can be replaced! 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I don't remember us having a Bosnian, a Croatian or a Greek. Yet. 

We need a Montenegrin and Bulgarian as well. I suppose if we want to win Balkan top trumps we should really have someone from the region that's older than 31 years, 3 months, and 5 days.

51 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I do recall Devlin doing very well in his first season and for what its worth I think Nieuwenhof will be a very good signing (and very possible a step up on Devlin) for Hearts. Your other target Sammy Silveria looked a promising player too. Clearly good players to found in the A-League.

However I have to agree that the defensive recruitments we've seen SPL sides make from the A-League just appear physically overwhelmed by the Scottish game. Atkinson looks good going forward but weak physically. And whenever I think of Rowles, I just remember Main man handling him at Tynecastle.  I'm anticipating much the same from McGarry in an Aberdeen top, unfortunately. I just hope the fee we've paid isn't that great. I really hope to eat humble pie as McGarry proves me wrong.

Devlin is a very good player at this level IMO. Has flaws, but in his first season he was excellent as we finished 3rd and got to the cup final. Suffered last season with the constant chopping and changing from Neilson, but when he played well we tended to play well.

Atkinson I think that's fair. Good going forward and he's actually a very good one on one defender but struggles a bit with the physicality. 

As you say there are good players in that market, I think we've had more success than failure personally but then we also had Ben Garuccio. It can be hit and miss, the boys St Mirren have had seem decent as well.

9 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

We need a Montenegrin and Bulgarian as well. I suppose if we want to win Balkan top trumps we should really have someone from the region that's older than 31 years, 3 months, and 5 days.

We've had both in my time. Vujadinovic (sp?) + Kiriakov + Tzetanov That's plenty. 

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

We've had both in my time. Vujadinovic (sp?) + Kiriakov + Tzetanov That's plenty. 

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Was Nikola Vujadinovic not Montenegrin? 

I was going for all at the same time, lads.