The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

10 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Certainly doesn’t work with Morris. He needs binned pronto. Zero defensive awareness and no final product. He gets us up the park because he can beat a man but he’s costing us goals.

Any time he gets in a crossing position I hope the defender puts it out for a corner because it sure as hell isn’t reaching a Dons player.

Don't think Morris cost us tonight. I'd blame Devlin for the second.

7 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Badly missing Pollock, Scales and Ramadani. We've not replaced them adequately.

I also am yet to be convinced that Clarkson is effective as a number 6.

Jensen looks a better player than Scales IMO.

We are crying out for a defensive midfielder against good opposition, I think. Clarkson, Shinnie and McGrath all did fine enough tonight individually, and some of Clarkson's passing was lovely, but the balance is a bit off. It was the same in the first leg. 

Moderately positive about Jensen. McGarry does some good things and some weird things.

Rubezic is certainly proving to be an interesting watch, and I suspect he will remain that way. The decision to dive in at the penalty looked extremely rash and I couldn't believe in the ground that the referee initially thought it was a dive. 

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

We are crying out for a defensive midfielder against good opposition, I think. Clarkson, Shinnie and McGrath all did fine enough tonight individually, and some of Clarkson's passing was lovely, but the balance is a bit off. It was the same in the first leg. 

Moderately positive about Jensen. McGarry does some good things and some weird things.

Rubezic is certainly proving to be an interesting watch, and I suspect he will remain that way. The decision to dive in at the penalty looked extremely rash and I couldn't believe in the ground that the referee initially thought it was a dive. 

We definitely need a defensive mid. Ramadani would’ve been invaluable in this double header. 

I’m a bit concerned about Rubezic tbh. The penalty tonight was incredibly rash. Our defence needs time to bed in though and I hope Robson decides on a settled 4/5 asap, preferably without wingers at wing back.

15 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Jensen looks a better player than Scales IMO.

Aye certainly wouldn’t blame Morris for the defeat but when you have a wing back who can’t defend, is more likely to run the ball out of play than he is to beat a man and can almost never get a cross past the first man never mind find an Aberdeen player it’s a real worry that he is being played so regularly.

Really makes me worry the Israeli lad is either seriously unfit or an absolute dud if he hasn’t managed to get any playing time yet.

20 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

We definitely need a defensive mid. Ramadani would’ve been invaluable in this double header. 

I’m a bit concerned about Rubezic tbh. The penalty tonight was incredibly rash. Our defence needs time to bed in though and I hope Robson decides on a settled 4/5 asap, preferably without wingers at wing back.

I never thought Ramadani was particularly good at screening a defence, but he was good at sharing the 'dogs of war' burden with Shinnie. That would definitely have helped us over the two legs. 

Rubezic is a concern, to be honest. I think he has to play in the middle of the three if at all, otherwise he would be even more exposed. There is an opportunity for Williams, provided Robson actually wants Devlin to settle at wing-back, to stake a claim on the right side. My instinct is that MacDonald and Jensen will nail down their places in the middle and on the left respectively, but definitely a question mark over the right.

Edited by DrewDon

48 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Badly missing Pollock, Scales and Ramadani. We've not replaced them adequately.

I also am yet to be convinced that Clarkson is effective as a number 6.

Rubezic is really poor. 
Jensen will be fine   
Letting Rama go and STILL no replacement in, is negligent.

Clarkson is not a 6. He ends up having to constantly try and ping 50 yard World Cup passes.

But that’s down to the tactical madness of the manager. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

37 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Morris made no attempt to track Sadiq. Shinnie didn’t pick up the midfielder quick enough meaning Devlin goes to press the ball, leaving space in behind. I don’t think Devlin is directly to blame there.

8 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Morris made no attempt to track Sadiq. Shinnie didn’t pick up the midfielder quick enough meaning Devlin goes to press the ball, leaving space in behind. I don’t think Devlin is directly to blame there.

I dunno. I take Primary level kids and we tell them.not to go steaming in like that.

We went man for man at the back tonight. Sadiq was Devlins man.

15 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Devlin shouldn’t have jumped in & tried to close down their player.

Then again, he should never have been right centre back in the first place. 

19 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I dunno. I take Primary level kids and we tell them.not to go steaming in like that.

We went man for man at the back tonight. Sadiq was Devlins man.

12 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Devlin shouldn’t have jumped in & tried to close down their player.

Then again, he should never have been right centre back in the first place. 

If he goes with Sadiq then he leaves the midfielder to pick a pass or get a shot away. He shouldn’t have been put in a situation where has to make that choice. 

20 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

If he goes with Sadiq then he leaves the midfielder to pick a pass or get a shot away. He shouldn’t have been put in a situation where has to make that choice. 

Agreed, but he makes the midfielders mind up for him.

Contrast that with the second half where he took a couple of steps back, the forward panicked because he has a decision to make and Ruby took the ball off him.

Morris was in line with Sadiq as the move for the second goal started to unfold. Shinnie is caught with 2 on 1 in central mid and the spare man was fed through giving Devlin a decision - hold the shape or step out to press/block.

Ach you could argue Morris should have spotted the spare man in the hole earlier and inverted to block. Or, Devlin steps out and Morris stays tight and tracks Sadiq. We did neither and they were sharp and punished us. Similar to Jack MacKenzie rushing miles out of range for the first goal last week.

There is just so little margin for error when man-for-man at the back against very good players.

Edited by bpdon

9 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

It really concerns me that he’s so focused on ‘going after them’ as a positive. 

To my mind, especially in the second half, it’s what killed us. When we got it back to 2-1 we should have been far more patient and controlled. There was plenty of time. But instead it became a ludicrous game which the chances were we were going to lose due to the quality on the pitch for each side. 

He needs to be honest with himself about that and hopefully he is behind closed doors. 

I was with the family visiting friends and went to the match with my son and thought we'd try and get some photos or autographs after the match for him.

Plenty of other players took less than a minute out of their time to create the memory of a lifetime.

Sadly "big names" like Miovski, Duk, Shinnie and one or two others decided to avoid leaving by the main entrance to avoid the small number of folk in a similar position.

That's so poor on them, in fact it's dreadful behaviour towards the fans, I'm surprised the club themselves allow it to happen. Huge credit to the players and staff who did spend time. It honestly took seconds out of their time.

On the game and as an outsider looking in, Shinnie needs replaced or helped in the middle of the park with somebody other than Clarkson who's wasted by playing so deep.

Some of Hacken's best play came through their middle third with Gustafson, Rygaard and Amane having time and space to receive the ball and get their team up the pitch. Sadiq will rightly get the headlines for his goal but Gustafson is the type of player who would do a really good job for Aberdeen if he ever became available. He tired as the game went on but had a big influence in the away teams performance on the night.

First time at Pittodrie since a cup game when Ally MacLeod was manager and really enjoyed the visit apart from some players decision making after the match. Apologies for all of the above, if that's what always happens.

Edited by BukyOHare