The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

On 11/08/2023 at 17:29, VincentGuerin said:

Like almost anything to do with any football club, it'll go down well when things are perceived to be positive. At the moment, Aberdeen are looking forward to group stage fitba and there's residual optimism from that. Most people in that kind of situation will view a relatively new guy like Burrows communicating regularly as a positive.

If Aberdeen are in the bottom six in two months, this kind of thing will produce utter vitriol online and even more measured voices will be saying he should wind his neck in a bit.

It's always all about how the team is doing. That's what fitba fans react to.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

The people who tag Cormack and Burrows on Twitter are, almost without exception, attention-seeking morons. Some will be young folk who grow out of it, so they kind of get a pass; it's the grown adults you see doing it, usually with barely coherent English, who are the most embarrassing of the lot. Some tragic folk on there and some very self-important accounts, unfortunately. 

Saying that, Cormack does engage with some puerile stuff, even when things are going better. Why even bother responding to that? Who honestly cares what some random fan thinks and says on Twitter, whether it's true or not? 

Fitba people have always got a social media hiding coming their way eventually.

Cormack and Burrows both put themselves out there, and while that's admirable in a way, I think it's unwise, as when things take a dip it puts the club under even more public pressure, and they have no option of opting out of engaging, having engaged when the going is good.

I think it's best for the actual decision makers at all our clubs to keep a relatively low public profile.

12 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

1) New DoF 

2) New manager 

3) New centre mid. 

4) New winger. 

5) A back 4 formation 

Thing is, the "Director of Football" role in this set-up is very much in name only. If we were to appoint a 'proper' DoF to lead the search for a new manager, that would be very time-consuming - and also mean that Cormack would have to abdicate a degree of control that he has, up until this point, been seemingly unwilling to countenance. I think we would likely benefit from some structural changes in the longer term, but the immediate priority has to be sacking the manager, appointing a competent replacement as quickly as possible, and being as competitive as we can in the Scottish Cup and a largely poor league from now until May.

I thought it was interesting when I read an article about the hearts AGM. They had asked about naismiths appointment and it came out that they’d had discussions with our board about the difficulty in sourcing a manager and the level of quality they could attract. Suggested to me we’ll be reluctant to get back into that mess anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I thought it was interesting when I read an article about the hearts AGM. They had asked about naismiths appointment and it came out that they’d had discussions with our board about the difficulty in sourcing a manager and the level of quality they could attract. Suggested to me we’ll be reluctant to get back into that mess anytime soon. 

Aye because it’s going so swimmingly staying as is. 

We all know that "Football Monitoring Board" is some absolute bullshit, so we should, as a support, stop dignifying it by using the phrase.

When we hit spells like this I always see folk coming out with the dramatic takes "the club needs shaken up from top to bottom / club is rotten to the core" etc. Same was said in the McGhee era and then we hired a competent manager in McInnes all that talk disappeared. Sometimes it just takes the right person in the job. I don't believe it's too hard to get a replacement, whatever was said at the Hearts AGM. We can all see the problems in the team and tactics, I don't believe it's a big task to get this squad playing some decent football.

On 02/01/2024 at 10:01, Flammable sheep said:

We all know that "Football Monitoring Board" is some absolute bullshit, so we should, as a support, stop dignifying it by using the phrase.

When we hit spells like this I always see folk coming out with the dramatic takes "the club needs shaken up from top to bottom / club is rotten to the core" etc. Same was said in the McGhee era and then we hired a competent manager in McInnes all that talk disappeared. Sometimes it just takes the right person in the job. I don't believe it's too hard to get a replacement, whatever was said at the Hearts AGM. We can all see the problems in the team and tactics, I don't believe it's a big task to get this squad playing some decent football.

Spot on. And proven correct yesterday. 

48 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Still surprised you even signed him, as even just a few minutes of video confirmed hes dogshit.

On 01/01/2024 at 23:14, Dons_1988 said:

I never heard about this. Our board spoke to your board about the difficulty in hiring a manager? am I getting that right?

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Still surprised you even signed him, as even just a few minutes of video confirmed hes dogshit.

Yeah, as much as you try to be hopeful when a signing comes in there was little there to be positive about.

I suppose the fact we signed 3 other cb's after bringing him in says a lot about how he looked early doors 

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was probably just signed to faciliatate the Clarkson signing...if that was the case, then I don't mind giving a donkey a home for six months

3 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I never heard about this. Our board spoke to your board about the difficulty in hiring a manager? am I getting that right?

https://www.heartsstandard.co.uk/news/23989147.hearts-agm-instant-reaction-club-board-questioned/

McKinlay also the club spoke about the difficulties of appointing a manager and revealed other candidates were sounded out.

"There does feel there is sometimes a misplaced sense of who we can legitimately attract," he said. "We were also acutely aware of this through private discussions we had with Aberdeen as they had gone through the same process. I can confirm that we directly or indirectly sounded out a number of other possible candidates."

This is the quote I was thinking of. 

6 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

It's part of a new joint venture by the clubs to pool resoures and become a stronger force.

The new entity will be called Aberdeen not of Midlothian

Edited by Bogbrush1903