The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I can't possibly comment on what ability Hoilett has these days so no idea if it's a good or bad signing but the signing itself couldn't be more of a "Warnock" signing. 

He's looked good when he's come off the bench for Canada the last few times (back in November).  His crossing and football intelligence is good and he still has his legs (although I can't vouch for a full 90 minutes).  I think he's going to do well for Aberdeen

29 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

He's looked good when he's come off the bench for Canada the last few times (back in November).  His crossing and football intelligence is good and he still has his legs (although I can't vouch for a full 90 minutes).  I think he's going to do well for Aberdeen

Cheers, just bought both shirts with his name on the back. He better produce.

51 minutes ago, HunterAFC said:

Shankland was top scorer in the youth league but couldn't hack it in the first team, hopefully Bavidge can make the transition a bit more successfully 

Well maybe we will have more patience with Bavidge.  I still think Shankland looked good when ever he came on.

2 hours ago, HunterAFC said:

Shankland was top scorer in the youth league but couldn't hack it in the first team, hopefully Bavidge can make the transition a bit more successfully 

Seems like he has his head screwed on.

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

Well maybe we will have more patience with Bavidge.  I still think Shankland looked good when ever he came on.

What? Missed quite a few sitters and by how own admission was a terrible professional.

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

I remember when we were in for Devlin and we all said might be good back up.

Whoever decided he was a first choice full back should be nowhere near recruitment.

He has actually done better than I expected when he signed, but I also think that how positively he is perceived among our support is probably indicative of how poor we have been collectively this season rather than merely how good he has been individually. 

On 16/02/2024 at 19:18, HunterAFC said:

Difference is Bavidge has been through the youth set up from the club and gets it. Shankland semmed to have the attitude that he made it when he signed for us 

15 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

He has actually done better than I expected when he signed, but I also think that how positively he is perceived among our support is probably indicative of how poor we have been collectively this season rather than merely how good he has been individually. 

Agreed.

In fairness, McCrorie was underrated and he's replaced him but to go in to the season with him as first choice and Morris as the back up was insane.

4 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Agreed.

In fairness, McCrorie was underrated and he's replaced him but to go in to the season with him as first choice and Morris as the back up was insane.

I’m fine with devlin. His consistency of performance, albeit limited, has been a slight comfort in a season of criminal inconsistency across the board. 

Agree the lack of competition is criminal, and you can say the same on the other side with mckenzie. 

1 minute ago, STFU_Donny said:

None of the key players we lost last season have been adequately replaced. Even the likes of Kennedy and Watkins are better than Morris and Gueye. 

Really surprised that Morris is still around when he was signed same time as Richardson and Roberts who were both punted 

12 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Agreed.

I think a good Aberdeen team could probably have Devlin as the weakest regular member of the defence, but if you had told me when he signed that we would be in the middle of February thinking that he has arguably been our best defender this season then I would have correctly guessed that we were sitting around 8th or 9th in the league. 

6 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Really surprised that Morris is still around when he was signed same time as Richardson and Roberts who were both punted 

Isn’t he on 4 year contract? Wouldn’t be surprised to see him ride it out. It’s not his fault we paid good money for him. Same for Vicente.

The recruitment overall  has been really poor - with the obvious exceptions.

I really like Jack McKenzie, and he was probably our best player yesterday, but for goodness sake, someone needs to take him aside at training and teach how to take a throw in. He is our left sided throw in taker, and he is the consistently worst one I have ever seen. Never any conviction in his throws, never any power, and possibly as high as 75% of them foul throws. It can't be difficult to improve him.

On 16/02/2024 at 10:17, Dandiest Don said:

Hats off to social media admin using the phrase "world cup winger" so that on first glance it looks like "world cup winner", which is an entirely different prospect,..... 😂

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I really like Jack McKenzie, and he was probably our best player yesterday, but for goodness sake, someone needs to take him aside at training and teach how to take a throw in. He is our left sided throw in taker, and he is the consistently worst one I have ever seen. Never any conviction in his throws, never any power, and possibly as high as 75% of them foul throws. It can't be difficult to improve him.

This is impressively bad if the referee is penalising him as foul throws are rarely picked up on these days 

11 hours ago, STFU_Donny said:

Isn’t he on 4 year contract? Wouldn’t be surprised to see him ride it out. It’s not his fault we paid good money for him. Same for Vicente.

The recruitment overall  has been really poor - with the obvious exceptions.

Nothing against the guy as do feel he’s been thrown to the wolves a few times being played out of position.

still feel the recruitment recently we’ve had the piss out of whoever broker’s these deals. We wanted to sign player X but the agent has said you need to take player Y too. Is it Gun who deals with transfers and agents? 

19 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

I remember when we were in for Devlin and we all said might be good back up.

Whoever decided he was a first choice full back should be nowhere near recruitment.

Shows how poor the team is that Devlin would be in my top 3 for AFC player of the year

15 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I think a good Aberdeen team could probably have Devlin as the weakest regular member of the defence, but if you had told me when he signed that we would be in the middle of February thinking that he has arguably been our best defender this season then I would have correctly guessed that we were sitting around 8th or 9th in the league. 

Like considine in a mcinnes team vs the Stephen glass team where people felt his qarabag injury derailed the entire season. Just a damning indictment of the entire squad.