The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

46 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Most Aberdeen fans expectations at the moment is to find a manager who is a competent tactician, knows the squad and understands how to get the best from them.

Unfortunately with Cormack he keeps choosing the antithesis of this with Glass, Goodwin, Robson and now Warnock.

So if he keeps picking the wrong managers with shit results then we'll keep calling him out until he either gets it right, gets someone else to pick the manager, or finally decides that running a football club isn't for him.

In my humble opinion, I'm at the stage now where I think Stephen Robinson would be the most sensible appointment.

Now is not the time for taking unnecessary risks (although a new manager always brings an element of risk), the club needs stability....and needs the new manager in position preferably in the next couple of weeks so we can send Warnock back to Devon or wherever he left the SAGA tour...

Having said all that, if Cormack continues his hands on involvement of the club then we're going down to the Championship eventually. The man seems to me to be a  self-absorbed clown.

I’d be happy with someone who can get this bag of shit to finish 10th.

15 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

For me, Warnock’s biggest red flag is the way that he talks about the club. Aberdeen are obviously not a diddy team in comparison with the other Scottish Premiership sides, but you’d probably think they were if you had no prior knowledge of football and were listening to one of his interviews. He talks as if the issue is a lack of quality within the squad. It isn’t, at least in the context of our top league’s general standard. Aberdeen have been significantly underperforming with what’s available to them.

Also given he’s come in after the January window, it’s pretty explicit that he’s there to work with what he’s got. So he really shouldn’t be bringing it up but he is constantly. After Kilmarnock he said something like ‘it’s not my kind of team’. Serious alarm bells.

I don’t think sacking him will help at this stage, but I’d be asking him some serious questions I.e. if you don’t think you can help this team then tell us now please before it gets worse. 

53 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Most Aberdeen fans expectations at the moment is to find a manager who is a competent tactician, knows the squad and understands how to get the best from them.

Unfortunately with Cormack he keeps choosing the antithesis of this with Glass, Goodwin, Robson and now Warnock.

So if he keeps picking the wrong managers with shit results then we'll keep calling him out until he either gets it right, gets someone else to pick the manager, or finally decides that running a football club isn't for him.

In my humble opinion, I'm at the stage now where I think Stephen Robinson would be the most sensible appointment.

Now is not the time for taking unnecessary risks (although a new manager always brings an element of risk), the club needs stability....and needs the new manager in position preferably in the next couple of weeks so we can send Warnock back to Devon or wherever he left the SAGA tour...

Having said all that, if Cormack continues his hands on involvement of the club then we're going down to the Championship eventually. The man seems to me to be a  self-absorbed clown.

Good post. Clearly, at this juncture, your expectations are rightly for the shitshow to end and someone who has their heid’ screwed on to be in the manager’s office. Obviously you’ll recognise that my query about Aberdeen’s expectations relate to the bigger picture, and what the owners and fans think the club should be achieving. I’d be very surprised if your expectations weren’t considerably higher than St Mirren’s. Our expectations, in my opinion, are firstly not to be relegated, don’t get pumped oot’ the cup after one game by a lower league diddy, and aim to do much better than simply avoiding relegation, but we won’t sack you if you happen to miss out on Top 6.

Having a manager who is tactically aware, knows his best formation, and plays the players he has at his disposal in their best positions should be a given. Should be a given for Aberdeen, St Mirren, or anyone.

Maybe Robinson looks like the ideal man for you at present. We all said Goodwin was mental to go to you, and it was proved correct. He left with us sniffing Top 6, about to play a cup quarter final against Hearts, and was as secure in his employment at St Mirren as anyone in the managerial business could reasonably expect to be. Take away the cup tie scenario and Robinson is in exactly the same situation. Not just sniffing Top 6 though, sniffing Europe. Cormack might lift his skirt and flash his scants our way again, but Robinson would be clinically insane to respond to Cormack’s foreplay, just as Goodwin was. Play his cards right and Robinson, with Diarmud O’Carroll, could get a really good gig down South. Jack Ross did. Big wages, big club, and was a baw’ hair away from getting them up. Sunderland pulled that trigger way too soon IMHO, but fcuk um’, stoopid Mackems.

Nah, Cormack can fcuk off. See what he can pick up in the summer off Amazon or EBay. Give us peace, leave us out of it, etc.

I think we probably have been guilty of overrating this squad of players, to be honest. 

They should have got more points than they have, but there are some pretty fatal flaws: they are extremely soft, there is a lack of height and physicality throughout the team, there is a lack of speed and width, and the defenders are pretty much all somewhere between mediocre and bad. 

We have one outstanding individual in Miovski and some other good if underperforming players in midfield, but the likes of Kilmarnock and St Mirren are ahead of us because they are much better and more balanced collectives than us. 

7 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I think we probably have been guilty of overrating this squad of players, to be honest. 

They should have got more points than they have, but there are some pretty fatal flaws: they are extremely soft, there is a lack of height and physicality throughout the team, there is a lack of speed and width, and the defenders are pretty much all somewhere between mediocre and bad. 

We have one outstanding individual in Miovski and some other good if underperforming players in midfield, but the likes of Kilmarnock and St Mirren are ahead of us because they are much better and more balanced collectives than us. 

I think this is pretty consistent with what’s been said all season though? It probably took a bit of time to get up to speed with how flawed Jensen and gartenman were and we all hoped Roos would continue the second half of last season form but broadly this has been the case from the start.

The Squad was built to play in a way that lacked real width and pace. It seemed unthinkable that we’d sell ramadani without replacing him but we did. Polvara was never the answer, albeit he’s deserved an increased opportunity and he’s done well at times. 

LB/LWB was an issue from the start too with mckenzie being asked too much of, Hayes finished really and mcgarry injury prone and frankly doesn’t seem that great from a limited sample size. 

This is what made January such an abject failure from the club. Dithering over robson and doing nothing to address the glaring deficiencies in the squad. 2 or 3 decent additions could have really helped the balance of things but we did nothing (not counting Phillips). 

16 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Two mediocre goalies, two bottom six full backs, a central defence softer than a baby’s first shite, a midfield who have all got mainly the same profile and Miovski who is capable of brilliance.

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think this is pretty consistent with what’s been said all season though? It probably took a bit of time to get up to speed with how flawed Jensen and gartenman were and we all hoped Roos would continue the second half of last season form but broadly this has been the case from the start.

The Squad was built to play in a way that lacked real width and pace. It seemed unthinkable that we’d sell ramadani without replacing him but we did. Polvara was never the answer, albeit he’s deserved an increased opportunity and he’s done well at times. 

LB/LWB was an issue from the start too with mckenzie being asked too much of, Hayes finished really and mcgarry injury prone and frankly doesn’t seem that great from a limited sample size. 

This is what made January such an abject failure from the club. Dithering over robson and doing nothing to address the glaring deficiencies in the squad. 2 or 3 decent additions could have really helped the balance of things but we did nothing (not counting Phillips). 

I think the dominant narrative under Robson was that we had the third or fourth best squad in the league, and it was his coaching holding them back. I was guilty of falling into this to at least some extent, too. I'm not making excuses for Robson, of course, and it was absolutely correct to part ways, but the problems run deeper. 

I certainly don't disagree with anything you have said, though. The likes of Jensen, Polvara and McGarry on contracts until 2026 is not currently looking like a glowing endorsement of our squad building, to say the least. 

After 20 mins of shellacking Brendan Rogers, it was mentioned on Graham Spiers' podcast this week that Peter Leven was asked to take the interim post til May.

He turned it down (felt he wasn't ready) and then we ended up with Warnock. 

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I think the dominant narrative under Robson was that we had the third or fourth best squad in the league, and it was his coaching holding them back. I was guilty of falling into this to at least some extent, too. I'm not making excuses for Robson, of course, and it was absolutely correct to part ways, but the problems run deeper. 

I certainly don't disagree with anything you have said, though. The likes of Jensen, Polvara and McGarry on contracts until 2026 is not currently looking like a glowing endorsement of our squad building, to say the least. 

Maybe a bit wise after the fact but I think we were always short in areas. 

There was a huge summer rebuild where we were replacing half the first team whilst simultaneously trying to build a squad to compete on multiple fronts so there is mitigating circumstances. But it felt like we didn’t really have the team to play the way robson really wanted, nor the flexibility to change it when we needed (I.e lack of width). 

I think ultimately (but not exclusively) though the combination of Jensen/gartenman just not being very good, Roos’ drop off in form and the ramadani shaped hole in midfield is why we’re so weak on a regular basis. 

15 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Finally Aberdeen man speaks truth. Massive greenie for that.

Much as it's been a terrible season for you guys, being patronised by a St Mirren fan must be a new low. 

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Much as it's been a terrible season for you guys, being patronised by a St Mirren fan must be a new low. 

Aye but they’ve not quite hit rock bottom yet,

Lose another couple of games and even fans of erstwhile Championship fodder like Dundee will be taking the piss. 

17 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Aye but they’ve not quite hit rock bottom yet,

Lose another couple of games and even fans of erstwhile Championship fodder like Dundee will be taking the piss. 

image.jpeg.59b3a9aa6a3c3c9c34b875701923f32e.jpeg

12 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Some of our fans are living on a different planet.

Our Twitter fanbase is something else. Just wall-to-wall nonsense. I merely observe, but a mixture of hilarious and maddening in almost equal amounts nevertheless.

9 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Our Twitter fanbase is something else. Just wall-to-wall nonsense. I merely observe, but a mixture of hilarious and maddening in almost equal amounts nevertheless.

Do these people exist in real life? I never encounter them. Even my most reactive friends don’t come out with this drivel. 

23 hours ago, DrewDon said:

How do you square that with the results in Europe though? And raking points off rangers this season. There's quality players in there.

Get Peter Leven in for the rest of the season. 6 league games for Warnock and 3 points out of 18.......utterly hopeless run of form and in serious danger of having a play-off (think Livvy have gone)

No doubt Warnock will berate his players again tonight and knock their confidence even further