The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

30 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Can I just be clear that the 6 out of 10 comment was a joke. I thought it was obvious but maybe not. 

I'm disappointed in you. Anyone who reads your stuff and has an ounce of sense, knew that. You shouldn't have demeaned yourself with that explanation. 

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I'm disappointed in you. Anyone who reads your stuff and has an ounce of sense, knew that. You shouldn't have demeaned yourself with that explanation. 

Assuming people read my stuff would be silly 

I thought he actually had a decent game for the most part yesterday, but looking back at the winning goal, it is ridiculously bad from "best centre-back at the club by far!!!11" MacDonald. 

Edited by DrewDon

On yesterday's evidence I honestly can't see Aberdeen sliding into the play-off slot.

The St Mirren comeback yesterday was sparked by an individual error by Devlin, yet most of the negativity expressed in posts from Dons fans has been aimed at the entire team as being useless / spineless / lazy etc. I'd say that's unfair since, apart from the last couple of minutes, I actually thought most of your team played well and fought hard for the jersey.  Perhaps Warnock's decision to defend the 1-0 rather than push for more was a mistake, but understandable after the results Aberdeen have had since his appointment. 

Coming so close to winning yesterday's game could maybe be seen as improvement and a more hopeful sign for the rest of the season ?

Just listened to Warnock’s BBC after match interview. “It’s going to make the week terrible”. “It’s not going to be an enjoyable week”. Motivational masterclass.

He's an English John Hughes. A managerial career where the sprinkles of success seem to prolong a dismal record and mask his complete inability to properly manage a football team. 

He's one of the ugliest people alive too. 

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

He's an English John Hughes. A managerial career where the sprinkles of success seem to prolong a dismal record and mask his complete inability to properly manage a football team. 

John Hughes has won a cup and probably plays better football. 

25 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Just listened to Warnock’s BBC after match interview. “It’s going to make the week terrible”. “It’s not going to be an enjoyable week”. Motivational masterclass.

His interviews are cringeworthy.

We’d be better off parting ways.

49 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

On yesterday's evidence I honestly can't see Aberdeen sliding into the play-off slot.

The St Mirren comeback yesterday was sparked by an individual error by Devlin, yet most of the negativity expressed in posts from Dons fans has been aimed at the entire team as being useless / spineless / lazy etc. I'd say that's unfair since, apart from the last couple of minutes, I actually thought most of your team played well and fought hard for the jersey.  Perhaps Warnock's decision to defend the 1-0 rather than push for more was a mistake, but understandable after the results Aberdeen have had since his appointment. 

Coming so close to winning yesterday's game could maybe be seen as improvement and a more hopeful sign for the rest of the season ?

Aberdeen were not good in possession yesterday, but up until the penalty in the 96th minute, I don’t think Roos had a save of much significance, & I never felt St Mirren would score.

Aimless crosses, or that donkey at the back just passing it out of play. 

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

On the topic of manager comments, I generally agree that they’re pretty irrelevant but disagree that they should be disregarded. 

They had this debate on the here we go podcast and the guy Richard hay (who I think is really good) was arguing black and white that it should be totally disregarded but I think there’s exceptions. 

In particular post match interviews, you can get nuggets from managers when emotions are at their highest. And if you have seen a manager over a long period then you can see trends in what they say. Robson was frustrating but I tended to ignore most of his comments as he seemed like a guy who didn’t appreciate a camera in his face and just blurted stuff out in the hope he’d get away quietly. 

Warnock however likes to make it about him so I think, rightly or wrongly, what he says gets more scrutiny. I do think what he’s been saying is poor and you find yourself desperately hoping the internal message is much more useful to the team. I can already see him in 6 months time doing after dinner speeches down south where he slates this team and Scottish football whilst taking no responsibility. 

There's a strong correlation between a manager having got to the point where he's routinely criticising his players in public and  his team being in a freefall that can only be stopped by getting rid of him.  It's generally the most obvious sign that the wheels have come off.  You can theorise that these remarks don't or shouldn't matter and maybe they're indicative of the problem rather than the cause of it, but in my view we're well past the point where action needs to be taken.  I'm not sure that a different manager would save us from relegation, but I think he'd have a better chance than Warnock.

17 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Whatever you think of Warnock and the job he is doing with us at the moment, he has a record number of promotions in English football on his CV. I'm not sure that can be considered as mere "sprinkles of success". He has been a successful manager across several decades now, and almost always at a good level. 

4 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

There's a strong correlation between a manager having got to the point where he's routinely criticising his players in public and  his team being in a freefall that can only be stopped by getting rid of him.  It's generally the most obvious sign that the wheels have come off.  You can theorise that these remarks don't or shouldn't matter and maybe they're indicative of the problem rather than the cause of it, but in my view we're well past the point where action needs to be taken.  I'm not sure that a different manager would save us from relegation, but I think he'd have a better chance than Warnock.

Agreed, the most extreme cases being the likes of Mourinho or Neil Lennon, you can tell when their days are numbered and they’re losing interest. 

Even mcinnes started life with us talking about leaving legacies and taking us as high as we could and by the end was talking about how finishing 3rd was the ceiling and managing expectations. Not that it should define their tenure but it does signal a bit of a shift in dynamic. 

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Is he the ugliest in the league though?

I’ll wager Naismith, MartinDale and Rogers are probably your bottom three. 

1 minute ago, lubo_blaha said:

“You’ve gotta die to get shree points”

“You watch Glasgow Celtic, watch the way they pash, move and pop pop pop the baw aboot, that’s how my Aberdeen team will play” 

21 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Warnock had the team well-prepared on Saturday and faced some unfortunate twists of fate. I found Warnock's post-match remarks on Devlin's unfortunate penalty situation quite fitting saying he was unlucky. It never rains but it pours - hopefully luck will change soon for us. 

3 hours ago, betting competition said:

Warnock had the team well-prepared on Saturday and faced some unfortunate twists of fate. I found Warnock's post-match remarks on Devlin's unfortunate penalty situation quite fitting saying he was unlucky. It never rains but it pours - hopefully luck will change soon for us. 

It was definitely a similar blueprint to the one we used with some success under Robson: to be compact in a low-block, to eliminate space for our defence to get turned, and to create chances through counter-attacks. We were mostly disciplined in our shape, and I noticed when Miovski urged the midfield to join his press in the second half, Warnock was quickly up to reprimand him from the bench. 

The primary difference against St Mirren was that we weren't as effective in transition when we had the opportunities. When I reflect on the 2-1 defeat at Frankfurt and the 3-1 win at Ibrox, we were really good at committing bodies forward when we transitioned despite playing very pragmatically out of possession. We didn't do that as well on Saturday, but it did look up until the penalty that it wouldn't matter and we would hang on for the 1-0. I suppose we can't rely on Barron to smash one into the top corner from 35 yards every week, though. 

What happens after the equaliser is on us, allowing ourselves to get properly counter-attacked for basically the first time in the match - and almost straight from our own kick-off - and some characteristically untidy penalty box defending. 

It definitely wasn't the worst I have seen us this season, or even since Warnock took over. There were good individual performances, too; Shinnie was excellent and Barron was very good, Phillips also looked like he might not be a complete lost cause. Duk gave Tanser and Fraser some problems, and Hoilett looked the best he has so far. I suspect many of the same underlying issues will continue to present themselves in the coming weeks, though. 

Edited by DrewDon